How English is winning Cambodia's war of words.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How English is winning Cambodia's war of words.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:41 am
explorer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:08 am English words are coming into Khmer. For example, computer. A lot of Cambodians understand yes and no, even the numbers 1 to 10. Hello and bye bye seem to be understood by people speaking many languages.

I think within 2 generations, Cambodia will be like the Philippines, where a lot of people speak English.
Not Chinese?
Interesting that and I wonder the conundrum khmer parents might have if they have to choose a 2nd language for their kids. Do they choose Chinese on the basis of future job/business prospects in KOW or English as more the 'global' language both in and out of the kingdom? Ideally both is best but if they can only afford one choice.. Any members know which way that is going?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

With the people I have met, more people are learning English.

There are a lot learning Chinese.

There have been Chinese in Cambodia for hundreds of years, learning Chinese. Now there are Chinese teachers teaching Cambodians. Some are from Taiwan.

Many learn both English and Chinese.

A fair few people learn Korean, hoping to work in Korea.

Many people who study English, Chinese or Korean cant have a conversation in it.

The Cham study Arabic. Again most could not have a conversation in Arabic.

A lot of Cham go to study or work in Malaysia. Some Cambodians work also in Malaysia. Most people working in Malaysia are spoken to in English, and learn English while they are there. Some learn Malay. I met one girl who worked for a Chinese employer, and learnt Chinese in Malaysia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Most medical terms in Cambodia are in French language. And English is an obvious choice for new technologies and technical terms. Very few countries will bother translate « email », « webmaster », « blockchain », etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

English is taught as a subject in regular Cambodian schools. Maybe not all of them, but many of them.

When sitting the year 12 final exams, one of the subjects is English.

There are English schools in most towns in Cambodia.

I have been to out of the way villages where I thought there would be no English school. You ask them, and there is.

It is a business. There are not enough jobs for everyone in Cambodia. Some people go back to their village and open an English school. Some teach English at the Cambodian school.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

15 - 20 years ago when I was teaching English, I would say that more than half the students were also learning Chinese.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Many Cambodians also learn some English from Facebook. Some write things in English on Facebook. Some things written on Facebook use a mix Khmer and English.
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

Duncan wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 am What is the Khmer word for carrot ?
are carrot? :)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I don't believe it's an issue exclusive to Cambodia as I've heard English dropped into speech throughout the region increasingly over the last decade or so, and not just words relating to new tech or science. I've asked people from Indonesia, India, Nepal... why they occasionally punctuate their local language with English for many to explain English words are more succinct or briefer in explanation.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's carotte, ( ការ៉ុត) surprisingly enough. It's pronounced more or less the same in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and the Philipinnes, but completely differently in Hindi, Burmese, Malay. I'd suppose that carrots were introduced by Europeans because of this, along with Onions, Potatoes and Soursop.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:40 am
It's carotte, ( ការ៉ុត) surprisingly enough. It's pronounced more or less the same in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and the Philipinnes, but completely differently in Hindi, Burmese, Malay. I'd suppose that carrots were introduced by Europeans because of this, along with Onions, Potatoes and Soursop.
In the modern age where instant translation is on your smartphone who gives a fuck. but beware Wechat converts Xi Xinping to Xi "God almighty allow me the privilege of sucking your cock" Xinping
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic