Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Freightdog »

Defending stargazy (gazer?) pie.... can one stoop to defend the indefensible?

That said, if my memory serves, it’s not fish head pie. It’s a fish pie with two whole fish arranged crossed through the middle of the dish and breaking the surface of the crust. Much like a desperate fish might do in a polluted waterway, of which there are many.

It’s not my cup of tea, though. The idea of it, at least. Rather like fish head soup, I’d prefer if the tricky bits were removed.

Fish served undecapitated is something of a norm in many places. As long as I can get at and remove the bones in a civilised manner, I’m content.
In a previous residence, the locals (hesitate to say natives, as it might imply savages*) would chew and suck on fish until they had a mouthful of bones to spit out. Whatever happened to fish knives?**

*upsetting the pc brigade is getting to easy
**if they ever had them, the staff would have pinched them
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

A movie about an eating seminar beetween friends, going into eating orgy.
La Grande Bouffe (70's). A great scandal when presented to the Cannes festival.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm
I love the way you eluded to defend it : in France, this pie would need a lawyer.

Some of our delicacies :

LES TRIPES :

A mix of internal organs (you don't want the details). Make sure you don't have to practice volley-ball afterwise. Clear your schedule for the afternoon. Best with wine.

L'ANDOUILLETTE :

Yes it DOES look like an old man's dick. And it taste like ass (clean ass, but how to be sure ?). However, i'm fine having it in my mouth. Best with wine.

COUILLES DE MOUTON ( sheep's balls. Yes.):

Eeeew. But when you don't know what it actually is, it's delicious. You might get this prank when invited, so, beware. Best with wine.

CERVELLE D'AGNEAU (lamb's brain) :

What can we say ? We just have to eat ANYTHING. I guess we would need a lawyer in other countries to justify that, but when it tastes good....Best with wine. And cognac to rinse well. And then die.

CASU MARZU a.k.a the living cheese :

This smelly little living thing has more protein than expected. You might be using the worm as fishing baits, throw the cheese as a smellbomb in a war, repell US tourist with a 5 meter radius in touristic sites, it's really a useful one.
Best with wine, then rinse with cognac, then brush your teeth with an iron brush, you still won't be able to catch anybody for a kiss tonight. And you reputation will be gone (out of France of course. Maybe even a bit inside to be fair.)

DO NOT EAT ALL OF THESE IN ONE DAY. Your farts might be considered as weapon of mass destruction, and the US would have to wake up Colin and Condo to launch another airstrike. But if you do, best with wine, and a good doctor closeby.
Thanks for that.......not!

I'm not sure I'll recover from seeing those delicacies..or at least I'll need quite a few wines to fog the memory of those (especially that 'living' cheese!).

Actually the biggest take-out (no pun intended) is that none of that 'disgusting' food is any good you say without wine and then a cognac chaser.. :dragonchase:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thank God we have KFC and McDonalds to eat.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Actually the biggest take-out (no pun intended) is that none of that 'disgusting' food is any good you say without wine and then a cognac chaser.. :dragonchase:
Well i have to make 2 points clear :

- it's horrible food (say some people), BUT it's made with fine quality ingredients, so it's actually not crap food.
- it's always better with wine and cognac. Because it kills the worms, because it reduces the fat, but mostly because good + good = doubleplusgood.
That's why our tables are long food equations, to be tested.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pmbecause it reduces the fat,
Huh?????
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

hanno wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am
Huh?????
Well the alcool helps dissolve the fat. Replacing wine with a Coke wouldn't help. That's partly why there is more fat asses in soda-heavy-drinking countries.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:54 am
hanno wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am
Huh?????
Well the alcool helps dissolve the fat. Replacing wine with a Coke wouldn't help. That's partly why there is more fat asses in soda-heavy-drinking countries.
I hope that you are not a doctor or dietician. Alcohol does not dissolve fat; on the contrary, it adds lots of empty calories to a meal. The reasons for French being less obese on average than other nationalities are quite different: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how ... tay-slim#1
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, grits (boiled cornmeal/coarse maize flour) are not meant to be eaten alone. Instead, they should be served with collard greens, hamhocks and/or fried chicken gizzards or livers, and biscuits, which in the US is just a type of bread, and gravy made from leftover grease from fried chicken.

Ham biscuits are great if you have proper salted ham.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 pm
Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Stargazy pie
Here’s a great way to ruin a pie, let’s just stick a few fish heads in the pastry for an extra decorative touch.
I love the way you eluded to defend it.

In France, this pie would need a lawyer.
I lived in the UK for a long time and never saw or heard of this fish head pie.
Stargazy Pie is a Cornish delicacy made with pilchards which have been cleaned and boned but left with their heads on
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic