Tourist Visa for girlfriend

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
troelshartmann
Expatriate
Australia

Tourist Visa for girlfriend

Post by troelshartmann »

This is similar to the thread about a visa for a girlfriend for the UK but there are a couple of differences, mainly that I am not resident in Cambodia (at least not yet!) - I am based in Aus.

Please let me know if this is appropriate to post here, it being an ex-pats forum...

Anyway, I hooked up with a lovely girl on a recent trip and we are keen to meet up again soon. I already had a 2 week trip booked to China and naively assumed it would be as simple for her as it was for me to get a tourist visa. She was advised by a travel agent that she would need to show $20,000 in a bank account, which is out of the question.

I can't see any mention of this kind of "rule" on the China embassy/consulate sites, just a form to fill in. But it seems from reading the other thread, this might actually be true?

Anyone had experience or has any general advice on applying for such a visa? I'd also like one at some point for her to visit me in Aus but the same travel agent trotted out a similar list of requirements? Is this the norm for most visa for single Cambodian girls travelling overseas?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Tourist Visa for girlfriend

Post by Phnom Poon »

yes they have to prove means
why not just wire her the $20k, and she'll be set

monstra mihi bona!
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

troelshartmann wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:53 am This is similar to the thread about a visa for a girlfriend for the UK but there are a couple of differences, mainly that I am not resident in Cambodia (at least not yet!) - I am based in Aus.

Please let me know if this is appropriate to post here, it being an ex-pats forum...

Anyway, I hooked up with a lovely girl on a recent trip and we are keen to meet up again soon. I already had a 2 week trip booked to China and naively assumed it would be as simple for her as it was for me to get a tourist visa. She was advised by a travel agent that she would need to show $20,000 in a bank account, which is out of the question.

I can't see any mention of this kind of "rule" on the China embassy/consulate sites, just a form to fill in. But it seems from reading the other thread, this might actually be true?

Anyone had experience or has any general advice on applying for such a visa? I'd also like one at some point for her to visit me in Aus but the same travel agent trotted out a similar list of requirements? Is this the norm for most visa for single Cambodian girls travelling overseas?
You say SHE was advised that she needed 20K to obtain a visa. You didnt happen to meet this girl in a bar?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Take her to other places like Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. It is easier.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
troelshartmann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by troelshartmann »

ned kelly wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:58 am You say SHE was advised that she needed 20K to obtain a visa. You didnt happen to meet this girl in a bar?
Lol I can see how that could be the first reaction but no, definitely not that scenario.
troelshartmann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by troelshartmann »

explorer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:06 pm Take her to other places like Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. It is easier.
Thanks, that's what we are considering as the fallback but I've already booked and paid for China so it will have to be a different and much shorter trip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic