Man Pulls Out Gun and Goes Hunting in a Village at Midday

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Man Pulls Out Gun and Goes Hunting in a Village at Midday

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:07 am Popular, Cheap and Readily Available
and completely illegal of course
AllAboard
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by AllAboard »

Depends what he did next tho
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 am
That reminds me - Cambodia is proud to have amongst the strictest gun laws on the planet.
even (or especially) the female Jungle Fowl are crowing about it.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Found him,

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I am not aware of the rifle being illegal.

Ownership by certain individuals maybe, but under what circumstances in which country?

I would say - possibly those countries with repressive dictatorships who continually violate human rights have the most draconian 'laws' - ohhh and the highest murder rates too.

At least that's what the data shows.

Many people in Cambodia possess legal firearms and the correct permits, including the above damn fine rifle
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:48 pm
I am not aware of the rifle being illegal.

Ownership by certain individuals maybe, but under what circumstances in which country?

I would say - possibly those countries with repressive dictatorships who continually violate human rights have the most draconian 'laws' - ohhh and the highest murder rates too.

At least that's what the data shows.

Many people in Cambodia possess legal firearms and the correct permits, including the above damn fine rifle
Cambodia. Private ownership of all guns is (almost) totally prohibited and has been for decades. Including air rifles.
Exceptions are available for certain people but i am not familiar with regulations there.

Some rather extreme people might say cambodia is a "repressive dictatorships who continually violate human rights" but i doubt anyone could reasonably describe Aust and NZ that way. they have both in recent times tightened their gun law significantly, and that has the overwhelming support of the majority in both places. As in Cambodia i would think.

Not getting into a debate about the cost/benifits (not now anyway), just stating the facts as i understand them.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Cambodia. Private ownership of all guns is (almost) totally prohibited and has been for decades. Including air rifles.
Exceptions are available for certain people but i am not familiar with regulations there.

Some rather extreme people might say cambodia is a "repressive dictatorships who continually violate human rights" but i doubt anyone could reasonably describe Aust and NZ that way. they have both in recent times tightened their gun law significantly, and that has the overwhelming support of the majority in both places. As in Cambodia i would think.

Not getting into a debate about the cost/benifits (not now anyway), just stating the facts as i understand them.
Both countries AUS and NZ are not exactly strict.

Every time I hear the word 'tightened' I imagine a privileged few brainwashing gullible people into believing a 'myth' about firearms.

The tighten part is the noose around my neck by giving the monopoly of the use of force to defend yourself to someone who doesn't really give a shit about you.

Bet the people who make those 'laws' have an armed cohort of 'bodyguards'.

Naaaah - I ain't wearing it bro. This is not Kansas - The people in Government are full blown psychopaths who order war and destruction on an unimaginably vast scale.

I don't request war and most other don't too, so why give them the power to run your life.

Anyway - this is besides the point of the guy peacefully hunting birds with a rifle designed to do that job, but under somewhat poor conditions - i.e in public :beer3:

Far more people get killed with knives, so following the logic of the argument - perhaps we should ban them too. Maybe sticks and stones? Or is it a human can use anything to kill, including his/her bare arms. Chop them off shall we as deadly weapons?

The governments and laws would love that for sure.. Guaranteed.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

"Anyway - this is besides the point of the guy peacefully hunting birds with a rifle designed to do that job, but under somewhat poor conditions - i.e in public :beer3:"

Hey Mish. ^^ You know i hate disagreeing with you. Why do you make me do it so often? :mrgreen: :

"peacefully hunting bird" - No, he quite obviously disturbed public order and caused concern.
"designed to do that job" - No, specifically outlawed from doing that job for very good reasons.

- quite seriously, there would be very few birds or wild animals left in the country if there was open ownership of hunting rifles. :cry:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:22 pm
The people in Government are full blown psychopaths who order war and destruction on an unimaginably vast scale.

What government are you talking about? Damascus? Washington? I'm guessing you weren't here in the 90s before the small arms reduction programs, because banditry and gun/ grenade attacks were rife then. That's why only senior police/ army are allowed to carry weapons outside of work, some were using them to terrorise, extort and rob the population at night.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm
Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:22 pm
The people in Government are full blown psychopaths who order war and destruction on an unimaginably vast scale.

What government are you talking about? Damascus? Washington? I'm guessing you weren't here in the 90s before the small arms reduction programs, because banditry and gun/ grenade attacks were rife then. That's why only senior police/ army are allowed to carry weapons outside of work, some were using them to terrorise, extort and rob the population at night.
As usual - do I take it you were unarmed and extorted
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic