I Was Kim Jong-il's Private Sushi Chef

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I Was Kim Jong-il's Private Sushi Chef

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

by Pierre Longeray
05 November 2019,

Tales of extravagance, unpredictability and mad boozing in the world's most secretive kingdom.

The dictator is so appreciative of Fujimoto’s cooking that he gifts the chef a Mercedes V450 and a North Korean license. Fujimoto and Kim Jong-il go on to forge a unique relationship via the medium of sushi.

As Fujimoto recalls, he wakes up in the middle of his post-wedding banquet – having downed a bottle of Hennessy – to discover that someone has shaved off all of his pubic hair while he was blacked out. According to the chef, boozing is part and parcel of life in Kim Jong-il’s inner circle.

The chef does his food shopping not by car, but airplane. For fruit, he goes to Singapore; for caviar, Russia or Iran; for fish, his native Japan.

Feeling the tide turn against him, Fujimoto plots to escape once his house arrest is over. Just as food brought him into Kim Jong-il’s palace, he believes it might be able to get him out.

full https://www.vice.com/en_asia/article/wj ... i-fujimoto
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I Was Kim Jong-il's Private Sushi Chef

Post by Bubble T »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:20 pmhe gifts the chef a Mercedes V450
That doesn't exist....
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Fujimoto should have known it starts with Sushi and Hennessy before quickly changing to VX Nerve Agent.

"plots to escape" - oh dear... now he's in it.

Kim "the haircut" Jong Il will discover your plotter ways and use you for anti-aircraft gun target practice.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

chef, sushi, Mercedes, banquet, bottle of Hennessy, shaved off all of his pubic hair, blacked out, shopping by airplane, from SingaporeRussiaIranJapan, extravagance, unpredictability, secretive, mad boozing..

So, North Korea is just like everywhere else after all..
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:32 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:20 pmhe gifts the chef a Mercedes V450
That doesn't exist....
In the late 70s and early 80s Mercedes built 3 cars with the 450 name, a convertible, a 2 door hard top and the 450SEL V8, the 450 Sel was top of the line with a 6.9l litre engine. It is safe to assume someone dropped the 8 and that is what the author is referring to. The car is still very coveted today as it has the largest engine ever placed in a MB.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

My neighbour was the personal chef of the Stan of Brunei for 2 years. He signed a lifetime secrecy agreement. He never told me any good stories.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

There's a guy i know works down the chipshop, who swears he's Elvis.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic