Almost 30 per cent of Cambodians borrow money for healthcare

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Almost 30 per cent of Cambodians borrow money for healthcare

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Out-of-pocket expenditure on healthcare is a problem in Cambodia for low socio-economic households. Pictured: a pharmacy in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Image: Shutterstock.com

Caroline Tang
5 Nov 2019

A new UNSW study has found that unless healthcare is better funded for low socio-economic households in Cambodia, efforts to achieve universal health coverage will be futile.

Borrowing with interest to pay for healthcare is known as distress health financing. New UNSW research, published in Health Policy and Planning last month, examined the factors driving this problem in Cambodia.

“And, the other challenge that Cambodia has to deal with is that the Health Equity Fund (HEF) is mostly funded through external donors – development partners – and that’s part of the reason why it has worked well.“Now, if those donors start pulling their financing and everything becomes the Cambodian Government's responsibility, it’s uncertain where things will lead.”

The study surveyed 5000 households across Cambodia and found that 28.1 per cent who used healthcare borrowed to pay for that healthcare.

The average period to pay off the loan was eight months, while 78 per cent of households had failed to pay off loans taken more than 12 months before the survey.

Dr Asante said loan sharks were also part of the distress health financing problem in Cambodia.

full https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/healt ... healthcare
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Almost 30 per cent of Cambodians borrow money for healthcare

Post by hunter8 »

Avoiding treatment of something as simple as a common cold with a bag of pills including antibiotics that many here rush to buy could reduce this indebtedness a bit.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hunter8 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 pm Avoiding treatment of something as simple as a common cold with a bag of pills including antibiotics that many here rush to buy could reduce this indebtedness a bit.
Better qualified pharmacists and trained medical staff would help too. You can't expect people to self-diagnose. A "cold" might be the first symptoms of dengue. More and better health care is necessary.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OTOH, it never ceases to amaze me that if you go to see a doctor in a western country they are likely to say go home, drink lots of fluids, take some Paracetamol, rest and reluctant to prescribe antibiotic/pills. Go to a doctor in Asia and you come out with a bag full of pills of all different colours of the rainbow.

Different culture and attitude...I pay for the consultation so I want something in return for my $$$..
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:05 pm OTOH, it never ceases to amaze me that if you go to see a doctor in a western country they are likely to say go home, drink lots of fluids, take some Paracetamol, rest and reluctant to prescribe antibiotic/pills. Go to a doctor in Asia and you come out with a bag full of pills of all different colours of the rainbow.

Different culture and attitude...I pay for the consultation so I want something in return for my $$$..
Yes, but even in the west it's the same attitude. Give me something to make me better, doctor. And a lot of patients still want a prescription for antibiotics.

The problem in Cambodia is that you don't even know exactly what most of those little pills are in your lolly bag. It's like those pot-luck party bags for kids. Very pretty, but what's inside ?
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kratom123 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:24 pm Image
Out-of-pocket expenditure on healthcare is a problem in Cambodia for low socio-economic households. Pictured: a pharmacy in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Image: Shutterstock.com

Caroline Tang
5 Nov 2019

A new UNSW study has found that unless healthcare is better funded for low socio-economic households in Cambodia, efforts to achieve universal health coverage will be futile.

Borrowing with interest to pay for healthcare is known as distress health financing. New UNSW research, published in Health Policy and Planning last month, examined the factors driving this problem in Cambodia.

“And, the other challenge that Cambodia has to deal with is that the Health Equity Fund (HEF) is mostly funded through external donors – development partners – and that’s part of the reason why it has worked well.“Now, if those donors start pulling their financing and everything becomes the Cambodian Government's responsibility, it’s uncertain where things will lead.”

The study surveyed 5000 households across Cambodia and found that 28.1 per cent who used healthcare borrowed to pay for that healthcare.

The average period to pay off the loan was eight months, while 78 per cent of households had failed to pay off loans taken more than 12 months before the survey.

Dr Asante said loan sharks were also part of the distress health financing problem in Cambodia.

full https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/healt ... healthcare
Cambodians were paying 10 dollars for serum but turned out to be water.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic