Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

First, disgusting American foods..

Foreigners are unsure of what grits actually are.
Grits don’t look the most appetizing.

Many foreigners don’t get the appeal of peanut butter … much less in combination with jelly.

To foreigners biscuits are meant to be sweet — and definitely not served with gravy.

Cheese? More like “Cheese.”
That so-called cheese in a spray can? Whatever culinary genius thought that up really needs to be publicly humiliated for that.

Root beer has an unusual flavour most foreigners just can’t place.
Tastes like disinfectant. If it were not brown, I would use it to clean the floor.

Many foreigners are wary of corn dogs.
Sort of a hot dog inside a doughnut.

Twinkies taste stale to foreigners.

Many foreigners maintain that Hershey’s tastes faintly like vomit.

Boxed macaroni and cheese is thought to be totally disgusting.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/amer ... oss-2018-2

Now to disgusting British foods..

Mince pies
The pastry is always thick, the filling is an odd pairing of sickly sweet with a tang.

Spotted Dick
What is spotted dick and why is it called that? Is it named after someone? I’m confused.

Black pudding
Pig’s blood and cereal?

Mushy peas
Why can't you call them mashed peas? Nobody wants to eat mushy food! And adding mint to it doesn't make it sound any more appealing.

Stargazy pie
Here’s a great way to ruin a pie, let’s just stick a few fish heads in the pastry for an extra decorative touch.

Scotch eggs
Why are Scotch eggs a thing?

Digestive biscuits
Biscuits described as 'digestives' don’t sound appetising. Are they medicinal in some way?

Jellied eels
Chopped eels, boiled in stock and then left alone to transform into some sort of slimy goo like substance. Vom.

Haggis
It contains sheep’s heart, liver and lungs, a lot of seasoning and then it is packed into the sheep’s stomach and boiled for our consumption. Delicious.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasminnahar/br ... world-find
https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/27/13-disgu ... to=cbshare
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Nicolas »

I think I’m sick now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I thought I could never eat Haggis, the concept put me right off, but when in Edinburgh last year I had some really nice Haggis.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm
First, disgusting American foods..

Foreigners are unsure of what grits actually are.
Grits don’t look the most appetizing.
Still somewhat in the dark on this, thankfully, but sick cats produce a similar output

Many foreigners don’t get the appeal of peanut butter … much less in combination with jelly.
more for me, then

To foreigners biscuits are meant to be sweet — and definitely not served with gravy.
have yet to try

That so-called cheese in a spray can? Whatever culinary genius thought that up really needs to be publicly humiliated for that.
Let the flogging begin

Tastes like disinfectant. If it were not brown, I would use it to clean the floor.
Shame on you. Better than coke. Tastes and smells like dentist mouthwash.
Root Beet floats...

Sort of a hot dog inside a doughnut.
Hmmmm

legend has it that a thousand years later, they’ll not have spoiled

Cadburys. You know it makes sense

i gather there might be empirical evidence on this

Now to disgusting British foods..

Mince pies
The pastry is always thick, the filling is an odd pairing of sickly sweet with a tang.

They’ve clearly bought the cheap option which might be on the same shelf as the Mac’n’cheese in a box. There are so many variations. Family preference is served with brandy butter while still warm.

Spotted Dick
used to be served with school lunch, along with either lumpy or watery custard. It is still unclear whether it was intended as a food stuff or a particularly cruel form of corporal punishment.
What is spotted dick and why is it called that? Is it named after someone? I’m confused.
If you find out, best keep it to yourself

Black pudding
Pig’s blood and cereal?
many cultures have blood pudding. Prepared well, it can be very good.
More disturbing is the white pudding which always reminded me of white dog turds. Visually!

Mushy peas
Why can't you call them mashed peas? Nobody wants to eat mushy food! And adding mint to it doesn't make it sound any more appealing.
you'll have to interrogate Mr Lambo on this one.

Stargazy pie
Here’s a great way to ruin a pie, let’s just stick a few fish heads in the pastry for an extra decorative touch.

Scotch eggs
Why are Scotch eggs a thing?
Good ’uns; you don’t know what your missing

Digestive biscuits
Biscuits described as 'digestives' don’t sound appetising. Are they medicinal in some way?

——————
Jellied eels
Chopped eels, boiled in stock and then left alone to transform into some sort of slimy goo like substance. Vom.

Haggis
It contains sheep’s heart, liver and lungs, a lot of seasoning and then it is packed into the sheep’s stomach and boiled for our consumption. Delicious.
all deserving of a special hell of their own
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Just to clarify if anyone is wondering re the little caption comments under the pics...including the reference to 'disgusting' in the title... is not mine. I sourced that from the attached links. Some of those foods I personally don't find disgusting at all and gladly tuck into the black pudding, jellied eels and mushy peas :mrgreen:

And feel free to add other 'disgusting' foods from other countries...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

not sure why mince pies are there
they're basically mini apple pies with dried/candied fruits, zest, and seasonal spices (nutmeg, allspice, clove etc)

or digestives
they sound disgusting, but they're just wheat cookies

black pudding is essential for a fried breakfast
haggis in a good whisky sauce is a gourmet dish

the fish-head pie is bizarre, I've never seen it

but add:
tripe (just no)
deviled kidneys (actually can be delicious)
beef dripping on toast
chorleywood bread (sliced white plastic bread that's now standard)

the problem with the american foods is that they come from chemical factories

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

US food:
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm Foreigners are unsure of what grits actually are.
Funnily enough I had grits for the first time ever on Sunday, not something I'd want to eat on their own but with eggs and fried potatoes it was ok. A bit like a watery version of mealie maize.

Peanut Butter has been pretty much a staple since I was a kid in Ireland and later in the UK. We ate it in sandwiches with bananas or jam (jelly).

What you call Cookies we call Biscuits. That American biscuit looks similar to what we call a Scone, but scones are usually eaten with butter, jam (jelly) and if you are really going for it, cream.

These abominations are not "cheese", although I usually have some of that Philadelphia Cream Cheese in my fridge, it's good on crackers. Why it is named after such an awful city I don't know, where I'm from we usually use rural names for agricultural produce.

It's not unlike Ginger Beer which is very popular in the UK.

The name freaks me out.

I find them barely edible, but if I suddenly woke up starving I would eat some.

I don't, I just think it tastes like cooking chocolate, or plastic. Some of their stuff is ok, I used to like their Reese's Butter Cups.

I used to think so too but my kid likes it so I had Kraft Mac & Cheese with extra bacon for dinner this evening.

English Food:
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm Mince pies
Mince pies did actually use to contain meat, but nowadays just have a mix of dried fruits. They are only eaten around Christmas. Freshly made with some cream or ice cream they are great. Unfortunately they last a long time, so the ones your great-aunt offers you from a Biscuit (cookie) tin in May might not be so appealing.

Spotted Dick
The name is bizarre but well-made with custard a great desert. This type of desert is not as popular as it was in, for example, the post WWII period when ingredients like flour, suet and raisins were all that was on hand.

Black pudding

Fantastic stuff, no proper breakfast fry-up is complete without it. To be honest I prefer the Irish White Pudding, which is similar but doesn't contain blood.

Mushy peas
I never cared for peas, especially big piles of them (they are ok mixed with other stuff in a samosa/ cottage pie etc), but Mushy Peas are not that bad. They aren't that good either.

Stargazy pie
I have never seen anything like this in my life.

Scotch eggs
A boiled egg wrapped in a layer of sausage meat with breadcrumbs. Fantastic.

Digestive biscuits
Great with a cup of tea, reminds me of the distant past.

Jellied eels
I never got these. There were loads of Pie & Eel & Mash shops in London 30 years ago, there are probably only a handful now. The food looks all sloppy and I was in a few but I think I just ate one of the anemic looking pies.

Haggis
This is something I almost thought of as a joke when growing up, but when I finally got to eat some I was very impressed. It's really tasty, probably the best thing on the list, in my humble opinion.

[quote]packed into the sheep’s stomach[/quote]

It's a long time since it was made like that, at least commercially.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Grits - WTF - What a name for a food - in my town back home it refers to "Clinkers" AKA as dried shitballs caught in ass-hairs or occasionally to budgie shit splattered sandpaper used to line their cages.

Twinkies - oh my god - what a fucking word. I couldn't possibly order some without thinking of the slang term - off the menu.

Root beer - FFS what is it with Yanks and the food-sex thing - it's a cross between Dandelion & Burdock and Ginger Beer.

Corn dog - there we go again - says it all.

American Chocolate (herscheys) - what a complete wimp out - like the overpriced under delivering Swiss Chocolate. Whenever I am forced to eat it because there is no real CADBURY'S around I feel as though I have been cheated. Like they left something out yet charged me for it anyway. Such as taste, milk and sugar. Robbing Bastards.

I can't believe the hack piece on digestives. you can live on digestives and coffee - very nutritious and full of calories. Dunking in Coffee is an art-form. Hob Nobs are the iron-men warriors of the digestive coffee dunking family. Beware the GRITS next day..

Jellied Eels - naaah asociated with Cockneys, therefore leaving oneself open to snidey jibes up North.

Black Pudding - best not to think about it too much - though it is tasty with the English big breakfast...

Spotted Dick - War time ration meal associated with school dinners and old style bowler hatted civil servants - good for a titter when ordering off the serving ladies.

One more is that Tripe (cows stomach lining)- my mother used to cook it in milk when we were poor and force us to eat it - guaranteed vomit factor 11
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Speaking for my homeland, never had grits and the only 2 items I would eat are the Peanut butter Jelly or Biscuits. Haven’t had either in 10-20 years but wouldn’t mind having some. My sons loves the Mac and cheese though, frozen variety.

On the UK list those eggs look interesting, I’d pick those for a try.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Andouillette sausage.
French

I do often try stuff once at least.
Was on a vacation in France a few decades back.
Tried this.
Didn’t eat for two days after.

You know how you can smell Durian from two blocks away inside a car travelling at 80mph, just before the other half yells “Stop! Wan’ ea’!”?

I sat at a table in the restaurant when the doors to the kitchen opened, some 30 feet away. French restaurant, so the background aroma is a bit elevated, anyway.
The background aroma was suddenly overwhelmed by a smell intensity that cannot be described, only experienced.
Akin to stepping out of an air conditioned aircraft in Bahrain, or going from Albinoni to Saxon on full volume.

My lunch had arrived. A plate of sausage.

The outer skin being the equivalent of a bicycle inner tube recently flushed with sewage, and the contents giving an extra waft of chemical weapons at the first incision.

Undeterred, I did try some, at which point the timer was started for two days. No amount of brandy or wine was going to wash it away, no matter how hard I tried.

Andouillette Sausage.
Looks and smells rank. If a surgeon cut you open and your guts smelled so, they’d need another surgeon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic