WING Money Account - good Idea?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: WING Money Account - good Idea?

Post by Kammekor »

First of all, if you plan to go abroad for a longer time it's very important to appoint someone whom can act on your behalf in case you need it. This person should be able to collect cards / codes /etc etc and forward them to you. Because bank in general are a pain in the ass I appointed someone through a notary and after initial hickups it works fine.

About transfers, I can transfer 10k USD to my Cambodian ACLEDA account and it costs me 27,50 USD plus intermediary bank fee (sometimes 25$ depending on the routing). If I would have an account in PP instead of the province the fee would be 10 USD lower.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Looks really good - competitive rates and fast.

Thanks for the info..
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

I've recently found the fees for bank transfer can be quite variable. If I pay the fees for the transfer directly, ABA charges me usd$45. If I choose the fees to be deducted from the funds transferred (I am transfering money to myself) then they total $15 from intermediary bank and $7.50 from bene bank for a total if $22.

It may be worth experimenting a little with transfers to see which produces optimal fees.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CamExpat wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:18 am I've recently found the fees for bank transfer can be quite variable. If I pay the fees for the transfer directly, ABA charges me usd$45. If I choose the fees to be deducted from the funds transferred (I am transfering money to myself) then they total $15 from intermediary bank and $7.50 from bene bank for a total if $22.

It may be worth experimenting a little with transfers to see which produces optimal fees.
Costs can vary greatly depending on who you will pay the costs to. Usually cheapest is to do nothing and use default settings. You will be charged on both sites, but the charges are usually lowest.

If for instance you make a transfer with the setting 'OUR' you will pay all costs (besides the costs for intermediary banks) to the bank sending the money. In theory you will receive the full amount with deductions (intermediary fees excluded). Usually this is more expensive than having both banks charge you locally.

For example ACLEDA will charge me 0.1% of the incoming money with a minimum of 10$. That means their fee is 10$ if I receive up to 10k. My bank back home charges me EUR 3,95 for their part of the job (Off topic: so much for Cambodia being cheap....). If I choose 'OUR' though and want to receive the full amount in my ACLEDA account (ued a lot for businesses paying invoices) they will charge me EUR 28,95 for all the fees together. Of course intermediary bank fees are not included, because they're hard to predict (so the banks say...).
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

Thank you for the numerous answers. I also experimented a lot with Western Union, TransferWise or a direct transfer from Germany or England to Cambodia. I think the combination with Worldremit and WING is ideal for people who are in Cambodia for only a short time - since the first 3 transfers at Worldremit are free, no matter how much the amount is and you can withdraw the money directly at each WING station.

But just for all other emigrants or retirees is a good thing, because you need nothing except a smartphone and his passport with visa and you have in a few minutes, his money from Europe in the hand. Actually, I wanted to hear, whether someone here already uses this way and what experience has made the round here - but if I'm the first pioneer - too good!

Unfortunately, I can not share the answer with the $ 10,000 direct to an account of the ACLEDA Bank, I had several times transferred similarly high sums to Cambodia on my ABA account and paid thereby clearly higher fees, no matter which way the money went there. The intermediary banks have their own fee rates.

Well, for me at this moment where the best way Worldremit + WING, and I'm happy about the last 4 month - no cards or more Onlinebanking needed...
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Just checking out Worldremit as an option to get money to Cambodia... from what I can see it is not a good deal as it displays the transfer in Khmer riel and the current rate offered is 3,949 riel. Am I missing something or is this the actual exchange offered?

https://www.worldremit.com/en/Cambodia
lin.chea-ronh
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by lin.chea-ronh »

:whip: for the Khmer people ,wing is only to use if big emergancy, they taking to muche money for ther pockets.They control by China bank /they eat my money
:stir: Be seeing you this weekend & doing some photo display ,c\o Jun Jun guesthouse .
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

lin.chea-ronh wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:11 pm :whip: for the Khmer people ,wing is only to use if big emergancy, they taking to muche money for ther pockets.They control by China bank /they eat my money
they pay about 3000 or 4000 riel to send money internally in cambodia and use all the time not for emergencies, many send money to their provinces (mums) with wing, some get paid their salary via wing too.
Sending from abroad is about 5 dollars depending how much, although i think they have just stopped dollars when sending with worldremit so riel only now
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am Just checking out Worldremit as an option to get money to Cambodia... from what I can see it is not a good deal as it displays the transfer in Khmer riel and the current rate offered is 3,949 riel. Am I missing something or is this the actual exchange offered?

https://www.worldremit.com/en/Cambodia
thats the rate offered that you will get, you send with your home currency. UK£ is about 5100 riel now with worldremit
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

adders28 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:22 am i think they have just stopped dollars when sending with worldremit so riel only now
A few weeks ago I sent some money, and the receiver picked up dollars. It wasn't displayed on the first screen, but further into the process, you could choose between riel and dollars.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic