Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Smoking Joe Conrad
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

Post by Smoking Joe Conrad »

Good luck but you have your work cut out if you want to deliver content on a level with No Joke Howard (rip)

:facepalm: :facepalm:
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Starting a youtube channel before my trip to cambodia

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:04 pm Ok, heads up OP, first thing before I look at your video, I see you have titled your vlog " Living The Land of Smiles" . Unfortunately, the country nickname "Land of Smiles", or more familiarly, LOS, has already been taken by Thailand.
Cambodia is known as "the Kingdom of Wonder" or KOW, for plenty of reasons that you will understand once you arrive in Cambodia.

Why is Thailand Known as The 'Land of Smiles'?
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailan ... of-smiles/
although i saw a few sources online that the term is used generally to refer to the south east asian region, yes Thailand is referred to as "the land of a thousand smiles" i knew that ahead of time but didn't think that anyone would point it out but since you called it out i suppose other people will think it too so i did change it to a more appropriate name thanks for the tip
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Mishmash wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:09 pm For a guy like you Cambodia will be a good experience.

Good video editing BTW.

As @Anchor Moy says - Edit your Title to Kingdom of Wonder please... :beer3:

See you in Jan.
i appreciate the feedback thanks a lot! and yes i had a feeling when i made it that it was a bit off but i felt it was far enough off "land of a thousand smiles" i am glad you both said something and yes i did change it! lol
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

explorer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:25 pm Some people do this to make money. Unless you get a lot of followers, you wont make much money.

Be sensitive who you video and what you say about them. Be honest, but professional. There was a small brain videoing in Thailand recently. He didn't last long.

If you video people, ask their permission first. Unless it is people committing crimes, then just video them and expose them.

In addition to whatever camera gear you have, you might want to have a go-pro or equivalent. That is a camera you can wear. So you can video things while going around.

Some people use drones. If you use drones in certain places, you may finish up in trouble.

Make your first video the trip from the airport to Phnom Penh. You might be able to video someone stealing your bag.

It would be fun to travel around the country and video a whole lot of things.
thanks for the advice! most people are obsessed with the views and trying to make money with youtube but i am really not interested in that. if somehow my channel does make money i will likely use it to fund free English lessons for lower income kids who's families cant afford proper English lessons.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:29 pm Me being a guy who knows nothing, take what you will. It's offered with the best intention.

Youtube videos need to be dynamic - nobody wants to watch a guy sitting down in a chair giving them the low down or lecture. Intersperse your main shot with grabs (or b roll) of Cambodia footage -it gives people a sense or feel of of the place as well as information and breaks things up. Give information as you walk down the street. or take shots of schools, interesting architecture, famous bars......, anything Cambodia while adding the voice over.

I think Your background music should be at least of an Asian origin. You should look at Cambodia Rocks, a group of songs from the sixties that are really good songs, mostly royalty free, and add to the feel or atmosphere of Cambodia, again offering a dynamic to the videos.

Get excited about you're saying moving away from dead pan or almost monotone dialogue- people want to be thrilled about going to Cambodia to teach or at least get interested in the guy whose telling them how to do it.

You've just started and i take my hat off to you for putting your self out there which is difficult for many people. I'm sure your videos will improve as you get to understand the platform or space better.
great feedback! my technique is definitely under construction in terms of everything so it is good to hear what needs to be worked on from someone i don't know. i can definitely get more creative with camera work and b roles for atmosphere building and passage of time. just don't think that is appropriate for a spoken tutorial to shoot that type of video. i am defiantly aware of all those techniques so rest assured you will see it develop.

as for the music i make all the music that is in the videos i don't plan on changing that due to the possibility of the video being taken down due to rights issues. i felt the track matched the tone. the vocal samples in the music fit the intention and vibe of the video in my opinion. i do have a ton of Asian style music i have made myself i just didn't think it would fit a video while still in America talking about signing up for English classes.

i definitely have some things i need to work on!
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:13 am The picture on the channel header is really out-of-date too. The Wat Ounalom tower to the left has been gilded for a few years and the skyline looks nothing like it did in that photo.
im not planning on changing the photo any time soon i like it even more so that you say its a bit out of date. photos can really take you back to another point in time. but i will keep that in mind for when i do change it! thanks
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

angsta wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:44 am
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 pm Hello everyone!

I introduced myself last month in the general talk section and got a lot of different responses and really appreciate the input. I started a youtube channel to document my experiences before heading to Cambodia to teach English as well as daily life, food, looking for a job and apartment, ect... This channel will be geared towards others wanting to move to Cambodia for long term living and or teaching/working as I will be focusing videos around daily life and the process of settling in Cambodia. I will be arriving January 15th!

i hope some of you will support the effort and follow along with my videos and give me some tips and advice in the comments of my videos i would really appreciate the contribution. take a look at my YouTube channel and follow and subscribe! hope to see your support and responses in the comments!

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdExLq ... ARR85azCCw

Check out No Joke Howard (RIP) for some helpful hints and tips on good and bad examples of blogging in Cambodia.
I checked out a few of his vids he seems like a very outspoken guy to say it nicely.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

one_dolla wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am The OP should check his ABOUT page as it has a typing error probably not a spelling mistake but.. ......I am always maknig them myself....but I am not going to teach anyone anyhting........
yes i did make a mistake. thankfully i had a good proof reader to catch it for me! the thing about formal and casual english is you will make mistakes in both situations no matter how rigorous you self correct your writing especially while typing regardless if you are a teacher or not. the most important thing is catching those mistakes and learning from them for the future! thanks for pointing that out i will correct it!
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

ya you and everyone fucken else...... pftt
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

console wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:53 pm ya you and everyone fucken else...... pftt
Great contribution. Now run along and play with the other children outside.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic