Battambang Prosecutor Started Farming Wild Boar

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Battambang Prosecutor Started Farming Wild Boar

Post by Duncan »

[quote=Doc67 post_id=374149 time=1572660371 user_id=9838

Pretty graphic videos. I thought they just shot them but it seems the dogs take the small ones down and then it a squealing session until the knife goes into the neck. Not the way I would care to spend Boxing Day but each to their own.

The meat must get a bit gamey with the slow terrified death and all that adrenalin running around the blood. I shoot a couple of pheasants many years back; one was a clean kill, the other was a right mess and I had to finish it off under a bush. The difference in flavour between the clean kill and the freaked out one was very noticeable.
[/quote]

As someone who was a pheasant and duck shooter, I think you will find that the difference in taste comes from what they were feeding on, not by how they were killed. It's the same with any animals and even humans have a different smell depending on what they eat. [or smoke ] Hang around a curry eating Indian and you will understand what I mean.

As for parasites in wild pig meat, if it's cooked properly and at a high enough temperature it's not possible for them to survive. Hey I'm still alive and healthy at 72 years.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

While it would be ridiculous to say that what an animal eats does not determine its taste, how it is killed also plays a large factor.
https://grandin.com/meat/meat.html
From Temple Grandins site, her work is with domesticated animals on an industrial scale, interesting woman

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=5661.html
From Dave Arnold, specifically about fish and the use of Ikejime, scroll down for the photos of tissue damage related to stress
up to you...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Clemen wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:53 pm While it would be ridiculous to say that what an animal eats does not determine its taste, how it is killed also plays a large factor.
From Temple Grandins site, her work is with domesticated animals on an industrial scale, interesting woman

From Dave Arnold, specifically about fish and the use of Ikejime, scroll down for the photos of tissue damage related to stress
Yep ^^ this is no New Age crap. It has been widely recognised for a long time. Meat "producers" (slaughters and marketers) have adopted methods to suit because the meat fetches a higher price.

It does remind me tho' - about "sports fishing"
In what other animal group, or even insect group, would we consider it OK to "play" with an animal as it endures extreme pain and fear?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:32 pm
Clemen wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:53 pm While it would be ridiculous to say that what an animal eats does not determine its taste, how it is killed also plays a large factor.

Yep ^^ this is no New Age crap. It has been widely recognised for a long time. Meat "producers" (slaughters and marketers) have adopted methods to suit because the meat fetches a higher price.

It does remind me tho' - about "sports fishing"
In what other animal group, or even insect group, would we consider it OK to "play" with an animal as it endures extreme pain and fear?
Here is some more New Age Crap,,,, Did you know potatoes dug up by hand taste better that those dug up by a harvesting machine cause we all know plants have feelings and those potatoes dug by hand go through less stress so taste much sweeter.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Duncan wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm Did you know potatoes dug up by hand taste better that those dug up by a harvesting machine cause we all know plants have feelings and those potatoes dug by hand go through less stress so taste much sweeter.
^^
:roll:

(Sigh.. another late stage casualty - he'll be seen doing yoga in fisherman's pants by the riverside soon.
and we know that is just one step away from begging for attention at the immigration lockup gates..)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:11 pm Can you eat them?
The Taste of Wild Boar
Although the wild boar is related to the domestic pig, they do not taste the same. Wild boar tastes like a cross between pork and beef, with a unique juicy succulence. The meat is a bit darker, perhaps due to the healthy iron content. ... You can use boar meat in all recipes calling for beef or game.

https://www.northforkbison.com/wild-boar/

Widely recognized as being vermin.

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

I was always told hunters always went for a head shot.

I guess that was back in the days before automatics and semi-automatics.
Why hold back from the big numbers now
over something as old fashioned as true hunters ethics.

Sorry, but the cross hairs on the vid and the sexy hunter's hard-on music released my inner feral.
I hate wild pigs for the damage they cause, and have shot them too. But i never got the sexy hard-on bit.
It makes me sick to see animals spines shot out like that.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 am I was always told hunters always went for a head shot.

I guess that was back in the days before automatics and semi-automatics.
Why hold back from the big numbers now
over something as old fashioned as true hunters ethics.

Sorry, but the cross hairs on the vid and the sexy hunter's hard-on music released my inner feral.
I hate wild pigs for the damage they cause, and have shot them too. But i never got the sexy hard-on bit.
It makes me sick to see animals spines shot out like that.
I agree - there are far more professional videos where the head count is not so important and time is taken - it's usually aimed for the heart entering just between the head and the shoulder.

It's not hunting here - it's eradication for the farmer where the crops are being savaged.

The men are hired by the farmers to get rid of them.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yeah Mish, i know.
It is a dirty job that somebody has to do.

But unfortunately i can't thank them for providing this invaluable environmental service
when it is so obviously sexed up into pure gun-nut culture.

True bushies would sneer at this kind of infantile attitude.
Not to mention the enjoyment some guys get from this. That is a bit more worrying.

(IMO only, and i allow others their fiercely held positions also)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Agreed Stern the vid is OTT

As a young teenager back in my home town the farmers paid us for foxes, mink, squirrels and occasionally rabbits, when they got out of hand.

Just using the .22LR and the dogs.

Quite conservative really and well-managed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic