Death Island- Koh Tao

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Death Island- Koh Tao

Post by Ian Yarwood »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:42 am Hey Ian, or anyone who may know -
Will they be executed?
What are the protocols and the general practice these days?
Are there any other avenues for appeal, at least about the the sentence?
Any chance of royal intervention?
All, of the responsible authorities probably feel they are backed into a very public tight corner, and cannot be seen to back down???
Thanks, if possible.
Here is the latest from the Samui Times featuring some fresh comments from freelance journalist, Sarah Yuen. Well worth reading!

I do not profess to be an expert on the protocols surrounding executions in Thailand but I know a little.

Firstly, there had been a de facto moratorium on carrying out the death penalty for 9 years. This ended abruptly in June 2018 when a prisoner was put to death by lethal injection.

I understand that if a prisoner requests a royal pardon and it is declined then the protocol is to carry out the death sentence without delay. If true, the act of requesting a pardon carries some risk.

There have been reports in Irrawaddy News over the last 48 hours that the chief of the Myanmar armed forces and the ambassador have been requesting the death sentence be commuted to a life sentence.

There might be more developments by the time you read this.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Since justice is not an issue in this case and it is more likely about political expediency between Thailand and Myannmar I would have thought the more likely scenario is the sentence will be commuted to life and quite possibly at some time in the distant future when attention on the case has long since died a death they will be quietly let out on a Royal Pardon. Assuming the poor guys are still alive. A double tragedy really.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Mothers of Myanmar pair facing death over Brit murders beg Thai King for clemency
Published
3 hours ago

BANGKOK (AFP) - The mothers of two Myanmar men sentenced to death for the murder of a pair of British backpackers in Thailand submitted a plea for clemency to the Thai King on Thursday (Oct 24), in a case tainted by claims of irregularities.

Myanmar migrant workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun were sentenced to death by Thai courts for the rape and murder of Ms Hannah Witheridge, 23, and the killing of Mr David Miller, 24.

Their battered bodies were found on a beach in the diving resort island of Koh Tao in September 2014.

Defence lawyers have said the evidence used to convict the two men were unreliable, as the authorities had mishandled DNA and did not allow independent analysis of the samples.

They also say confessions by the pair were obtained under duress.

Defence appeals were exhausted in August and a royal pardon or commutation of the death sentence by the Thai King is the last chance of a reprieve.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... r-clemency
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

BREAKING NEWS:
Tourism Authority of Thailand admits that the wrong men were convicted over the UK backpacker murders on Koh Tao! (Satire)

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:please:
Ian, no place for satire on a crime that was put on 2 innocent people.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 pm :please:
Ian, no place for satire on a crime that was put on 2 innocent people.
There are some deadly serious messages in the video Richard and a lot of information that most people do not see because the coverage in the mainstream media is often very superficial. There is actually no place or time for people to engage in excessive political correctness or self-righteous indignation on this topic.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I think it is good you are being honest about things many others want to sweep under the carpet. The only way to reduce these crimes is to let people know what is going on.

As for you and the girl in the video, I advise you to never go to Thailand, or even other Asian countries, for your own safety.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

explorer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm I think it is good you are being honest about things many others want to sweep under the carpet. The only way to reduce these crimes is to let people know what is going on.

As for you and the girl in the video, I advise you to never go to Thailand, or even other Asian countries, for your own safety.
Most grief and online abuse comes from expats , normally divers on death island as i am sure Ian will agree. Most go silent when they leave KT unlike us that will never give up
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

This cartoon was posted on the Koh Tao Death Island Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/KohTaoDeathIsland/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic