What can employees do when not paid?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: What can employees do when not paid?

Post by monomial »

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 pm There were 33 staff. At the present time there are around 20. The others have left already. Those still there have told the boss, if they dont get paid by the end of this month, they will all leave. The boss is supposedly trying to get money from somewhere.

I think the business is about to fail.

It is possible, the boss knows it will come to an end, but is pocketing all of the money until it happens.
OK. That was a key piece of information you left out. My advice hearing that is to immediately stop working. Very unlikely anyone is getting paid. Tell them to file a complaint with Ministry of Labour and cut their losses. Concentrate all their efforts on finding a new job. Whatever the reasons, if the staff has been cut from 33 to 20 already and salaries are still not being paid, the situation is obvious. The boss can not (legally anyway) selectively choose who gets their salary, so it doesn't matter if they quit today or end of month. They are still owed for days worked if money ever becomes available. Don't count on getting anything.

Can't say if the boss is hoarding money for himself or not, but it doesn't actually matter. Run, don't walk away. No point in working for free.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I suggested looking for another job some time ago. Maybe they would have, if they weren't so busy.

I am not directly involved. These are friends. This is what they have decided to do. The boss might want the business to continue, and might get some money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I recently had experience with the Ministry of Labor. Apparently the Ministry was fairly civil with the employees. If several employees go together, all at once or in sequence and informing that they are all part of the same problem, it may increase the chances of getting a solution.

From my experience, the MoL will invite the employer to a meeting. Since it seems like an "open and close case" they will probably determine in favor of the employees.

The problem is in enforcement. I didn't see that the Ministry is very strong on enforcement, but apparently they have a Dept. of Labor Inspection. If the employer wants to continue their business, and they are confronted by the Labor Inspector, I would guess they are likely to arrange a solution.
lin.chea-ronh
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by lin.chea-ronh »

:beer1: OK ,if the Big boss not paying his workers then they can make a battleline for the problem. Make a strong battleline, with h the single girl in frontline place .for the lady already have child's they go 2 line .Front line lady's can go amok = 20 minuets, they have the fighting power.
If the boss see them ,soon he stop his greedy game & money for workers will come.
:stir: Be seeing you this weekend & doing some photo display ,c\o Jun Jun guesthouse .
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

lin.chea-ronh wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:23 pm :beer1: OK ,if the Big boss not paying his workers then they can make a battleline for the problem. Make a strong battleline, with h the single girl in frontline place .for the lady already have child's they go 2 line .Front line lady's can go amok = 20 minuets, they have the fighting power.
If the boss see them ,soon he stop his greedy game & money for workers will come.
Sounds like the Candy Bar brawl! :stir:
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

The business owner might be the son of top brass, so he know he does not have to pay his workers.
If the workers quit, he might just hire more people who work for a few weeks then not be paid.
And on and on, so he gets months of free labor.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic