Names, Dames and more Names..... :)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Names, Dames and more Names..... :)

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

A recent discussion on the two gals getting into a scuffle at Candy Bar got me thinking,,.

A photo had the sign showing it as the "Can dy bar" (as pointed out by someone else), It almost sounds Vietnamese spelled that way, is there a back-story to this?

Also.... Sharky's - A very good reason it was called that (as relayed to my buddy and I a few years ago by Mike Hsu (RIP)). Anyone else know the reason it's called Sharky's? If no reply I'll tell the reason for the name as per Mike H.

Have a good day
What, Me worry?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Names, Dames and more Names..... :)

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:34 am A recent discussion on the two gals getting into a scuffle at Candy Bar got me thinking,,.

A photo had the sign showing it as the "Can dy bar" (as pointed out by someone else), It almost sounds Vietnamese spelled that way, is there a back-story to this?

Also.... Sharky's - A very good reason it was called that (as relayed to my buddy and I a few years ago by Mike Hsu (RIP)). Anyone else know the reason it's called Sharky's? If no reply I'll tell the reason for the name as per Mike H.

Have a good day
C'mon then, spit it out. :popcorn:
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Names, Dames and more Names..... :)

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 pm
Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:34 am A recent discussion on the two gals getting into a scuffle at Candy Bar got me thinking,,.

Have a good day
C'mon then, spit it out. :popcorn:
OK, Here goes (Skip this if you know the story).

The reason for Sharky's being named Sharky's. As told to my my buddy and I by Mike Hsu about 3 years or so ago.

I had taken my buddy VP to show his the famous "Sharky's" (his first and only visit to the KOW).

While there we bumped into Mike. My buddy asked him about the Rock and Roll, Mike being the gentleman he was invited us into his office and we talked for a bit. During the conversation my friend ask why he named the Bar "Sharky's". Mike replied that originally they wanted to name the bar "Sucky's", but the government wouldn't allow that name. We were confused and my buddy asked again why "Sharky's". Mike then called one of his bartender gals into the room, he asked her what the name of the bar was. She replied with a Khmer accent "Sucky's" trying to say "Sharkys". Mike got a BIG grin on his face, my buddy and I were rolling on the floor.

So now you know why it's called "Sharky's", Hope you enjoyed.

RIP Mike.
What, Me worry?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic