Coming Soon, New 15,000 Riel Notes

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coming Soon, New 15,000 Riel Notes

Post by timmydownawell »

Finally got one of the 15000 notes. They're polymer, which is hopefully a sign of things to come. But jeebus are they big enough???
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Haven't had a 15k note since early 2020, have they stopped circulating them?
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

All in all, my wife just likes gold, as paper money is just that - paper, so she immediately exchanges any spare cash for gold.

Can't blame her
Can you share where / how does she obtain gold, and is it in a jewellery form or bullion? All I was able to find was overpriced jewellery that costs 3x its weight in gold, and bullion that could be "pre-ordered" at 1.5x the market price. If I wanted to sell, I would be able only then get scrap price of less than half of what was paid.

In the UK I found it easy to buy/sell bullion at close to spot price - ebay, ads, sellers and buyers were plenty.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Mr.November wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:47 pm
All in all, my wife just likes gold, as paper money is just that - paper, so she immediately exchanges any spare cash for gold.

Can't blame her
Can you share where / how does she obtain gold, and is it in a jewellery form or bullion? All I was able to find was overpriced jewellery that costs 3x its weight in gold, and bullion that could be "pre-ordered" at 1.5x the market price. If I wanted to sell, I would be able only then get scrap price of less than half of what was paid.

In the UK I found it easy to buy/sell bullion at close to spot price - ebay, ads, sellers and buyers were plenty.
Most of the jewelry here is of shit quality, last I checked those little gold bracelets the girls wear are 50-70 a pop.

I'd trust buying a used vehicle without looking at it first before buying gold here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BillDoe wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:46 pm
Most of the jewelry here is of shit quality, last I checked those little gold bracelets the girls wear are 50-70 a pop.
What "gold bracelets the girls wear"? You really have no clue what you are talking about. Gold is a big commodity here, and they are quite aware of how to test the purity.

https://www.apmex.com/product/71982/3-7 ... t-cambodia
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:09 am
BillDoe wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:46 pm
What "gold bracelets the girls wear"? You really have no clue what you are talking about. Gold is a big commodity here, and they are quite aware of how to test the purity.

https://www.apmex.com/product/71982/3-7 ... t-cambodia
Do you even live in Cambodia? Or will you call the capital Siem Reap?

Gold jewelry is commonly worn here bub, doesn't mean it's "high quality"
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

It’s often not gold as we’d know it but “platin”. I think it’s a mixture of gold and copper?

Anyway. Those bracelets are tough a fuck so no way are gold gold. (Yes I said it twice. It’s like when you say you’re going “out” and someone says “What out out or just out?”)
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What bracelets? There is more than one design and price out there.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:34 am What bracelets? There is more than one design and price out there.
The only ones I’ve seen are the thin jobs and they’ve always got a certain number. Like I says it’s too strong for proper gold.
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Okay. Did you know a motorbike is $1000 and a house is $125,000? Anyone know how much for a bottle of drink?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic