Notarizing a contract

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Notarizing a contract

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello,

I am considering getting a debt contract notarized. Can anyone advise on the value of getting a contract noatrized?

And if it is considered a good idea, where to do this in Phnom Penh?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: Notarizing a contract

Post by Nicolas »

I used this firm twice before to legalize documents. http://www.hbslaw.asia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 pm I used this firm twice before to legalize documents. http://www.hbslaw.asia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$50 per page,,,, Thank-you.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

There's also these guys. But I don't' have first hand experience with them.

Phnom Penh Notary Public

http://www.ppnp.com.kh/
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Brody wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 am There's also these guys. But I don't' have first hand experience with them.

Phnom Penh Notary Public

http://www.ppnp.com.kh/
It seems a bit over the top for what appears to be a fairly basic service. I have quite a few documents that need to be notarized so may not be worth the investment.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thanks both for your reference to a service provider.

Not only am I looking for the service, but also asking for advice about whether it is worth it? I.e. how much benefit does it bring you to have something notarized?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm how much benefit does it bring you to have something notarized?
I've been curious about this as well.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Brody wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:13 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm how much benefit does it bring you to have something notarized?
I'm wondering if this may not be an Anglo-Saxon tradition that is not normal in this part of the world. If I had to guess, the Cambodian corollary would be for the commune chief or clerk to put a stamp on it.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm Thanks both for your reference to a service provider.

Not only am I looking for the service, but also asking for advice about whether it is worth it? I.e. how much benefit does it bring you to have something notarized?
If it is a simple loan, I cannot think of any reason other than as proof that the parties actually signed it (thumbprint is better as harder to dispute). If it is a loan then you could take photos of the borrower signing and taking the money from you. And you can have the contract witnessed (signed as such) by responsible persons.
Notarisation is something you do when the law or another party insists. It is expensive, as you know, so you don't go doing it otherwise.
Bear in mind that the main reason that debts are not enforced is that it is not worth the hassle and expense going through the court process (and that is true in many countries).
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:21 pm
Brody wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:13 pm
I'm wondering if this may not be an Anglo-Saxon tradition that is not normal in this part of the world. If I had to guess, the Cambodian corollary would be for the commune chief or clerk to put a stamp on it.
Notarisation is rare in common law countries, it is much more of a civil code country thing, e.g. France - thus its use in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic