More Snatches on Bandit Alley - Porsenchey

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

More Snatches on Bandit Alley - Porsenchey

Post by Mishmash »

Another victory for the embattled boys in my Sangkat!

Bandit Alley - The infamous Airport Road stretch is now a full on battlefield, with travelers and residents having to run the daily gauntlet of bag thieves phone thieves, armed robbers, fake taxi back alley blaggards etc.

Today we saw one fake taxi driver who mugged a Chinese visitor with the old "down the alley with his boot boy mates trick" - caught and somewhat sadly beaten up. (reported on CEO)

Here we have a young Chinese lady who gratefully recovered her belongings, with the perp preparing himself to meet his destiny later.

Stirling Work - Send the boys their beers :beer3:

Kakap 2 : Blaggards 0

Bonus

The BKK boys are vying for a shot at the title of Top Cop of the day with a late-strike

Last edited by Mishmash on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lin.chea-ronh
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: More Snatches on Bandit Alley - Porsenchey

Post by lin.chea-ronh »

:dragonchase: yes he is a dirty- bird.when the teachers allow to smack and whip the naughty childs ,then very small chance for the robbery to happen.But now the parents not happy if the children have boxing ,so then more bad dirty bird children stealing and take the drugs. My teacher say to our class see no good ! Spare the whip and spoil the child .Yes this is a truth
:stir: Be seeing you this weekend & doing some photo display ,c\o Jun Jun guesthouse .
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Where exactly is this occurring?
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Felgerkarb wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm Where exactly is this occurring?
The stretch from just beyond Chom Chao roundabout going out of town to the lights at corner 110 and 2004.

The Chinese have taken over opposite the airport so are prime targets as they are usually carrying wads from their businesses - you know how they are with their man-bags and the ladies purses.

People coming out of the airport who get tuk-tuks are snatched every day.

The latest scam was the fake taxi driver taking the new arrival down a blind alley and calling in his mates.

At night you basically can't go down the back streets alone - simple as that.

The stepped-up night patrols are successful in pulling likely suspects and turning them over, but they can't be everywhere.

Adding to that are the nightly accidents from mainly Chinese speeding and destroying the dividers or mowing down the motos. Carnage..
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From a quick search, these are just some of the threads on bag-snatches around the Phnom Penh International Airport and on the road into town that have been reported on CEO in the past year. Some threads contain several incidents. Haven't included phone snatches.
The first thread below is an announced police crackdown on bag-snatchers in this area in Sept 2018, so the police are not getting on top of this at all.

newsworthy/crackdown-airport-bag-snatchers-t23072.html
newsworthy/young-woman-victim-airport-r ... 26023.html
newsworthy/chinese-business-woman-victi ... 26639.html
newsworthy/two-teens-arrested-after-sna ... 28114.html
newsworthy/bag-snatching-from-tuktuk-fr ... 21555.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 pm From a quick search, these are just some of the threads on bag-snatches around the Phnom Penh International Airport and on the road into town that have been reported on CEO in the past year. Some threads contain several incidents. Haven't included phone snatches.
The first thread below is an announced police crackdown on bag-snatchers in this area in Sept 2018, so the police are not getting on top of this at all.

newsworthy/crackdown-airport-bag-snatchers-t23072.html
newsworthy/young-woman-victim-airport-r ... 26023.html
newsworthy/chinese-business-woman-victi ... 26639.html
newsworthy/two-teens-arrested-after-sna ... 28114.html
newsworthy/bag-snatching-from-tuktuk-fr ... 21555.html
Yeah you can see the wads in the stories....

It truly is Bandit Alley.

I regularly go to my friends house - just on Kakab 2 up in the quiet relatively undeveloped parts, for small parties, but I ride home with the boys - armed. It's not worth the risk.

You have seen the body count on the news - even on here - killed for a fucking moto right on the donkey track outside my friend's new home, just for one instance.

Porsenchey is the wild west.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

lin.chea-ronh wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:25 pm :dragonchase: yes he is a dirty- bird.when the teachers allow to smack and whip the naughty childs ,then very small chance for the robbery to happen.But now the parents not happy if the children have boxing ,so then more bad dirty bird children stealing and take the drugs. My teacher say to our class see no good ! Spare the whip and spoil the child .Yes this is a truth
Uncivilized bullshit. Nearly nobody I know has been beaten as a child and they are all not stealing and robbing. There is a reason for child violence being illegal in most respectable countries, it fucks up their minds. The reasons for these kids robbing can be found in bad parenting, poverty, and in the utterly incompetent Cambodian police force.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

bong.kuit wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:27 am
lin.chea-ronh wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:25 pm :dragonchase: yes he is a dirty- bird.when the teachers allow to smack and whip the naughty childs ,then very small chance for the robbery to happen.But now the parents not happy if the children have boxing ,so then more bad dirty bird children stealing and take the drugs. My teacher say to our class see no good ! Spare the whip and spoil the child .Yes this is a truth
Uncivilized bullshit. Nearly nobody I know has been beaten as a child and they are all not stealing and robbing. There is a reason for child violence being illegal in most respectable countries, it fucks up their minds. The reasons for these kids robbing can be found in bad parenting, poverty, and in the utterly incompetent Cambodian police force.
Ahhh, its a good counter post.

Ok you say poverty is linked to crime. The studies are divided with some saying yes and some saying no. There is no consensus.

Child Violence leads to Psychological Problems - correct - I am one example - fucked me up for years when my mother broke my skull.

Bad parenting - correct according to most studies.

The absence of the father is the single most important cause of crime.1) In fact, boys who are fatherless from birth are three times as likely to go to jail as peers from intact families, while boys whose fathers do not leave until they are 10 to 14 years old are two times as likely to go to jail as their peers from intact families.2) According to Robert Rector of the Heritage Foundation, children without a father are more than twice as likely to be arrested for a juvenile crime and are three times more likely to go to jail by the time they reach age 30 than are children raised in intact families.3) Adolescents who had a positive relationship with their fathers are less likely to be arrested, belong to a gang, damage property, steal, or run away compared to their peers with less positive relationships with their fathers.4) Along with the increased probability of family poverty and heightened risk of delinquency, a father's absence is associated with a host of other social problems. The three most prominent effects are lower intellectual development, higher levels of illegitimate parenting in the teenage years, and higher levels of welfare dependency.5) According to a 1990 report from the Department of Justice, more often than not, missing and “throwaway” children come from single-parent families, families with step parents, and cohabiting-adult families.

Incompetent police force - this is a personal opinion i guess - can you prove their detection rates are less than other countries?

And more to the point - if you have some way to improve it - you can come and meet the Porsenchey Chief of Police tomorrow - he will genuinely listen to whatever ideas you have for improvement.

I say this last point because if you do have ideas to contribute, the boys at our embattled station will listen and respect you. You have my word on that.

Be a man of action brother! Take an active part in your community rather than complaining.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Hmm, as there are no independent studies of the Cambodian police I obviously can't prove it scientifically, but anyone who has spent a bit of time in the country should have made their own observations.

Taking action?! I took the action of leaving a few months ago ;)

On the other hand, is there a study that proves a beneficial effect of hitting kids?
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Interesting. Back in the 90's and early 2000's nobody with any sense would be in that area at night. Before Toul Kork got built up, the area was well known bandit country and being out there at night was a guarantee for something to happen to you. Seems to have returned to it's well deserved infamous reputation.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic