Search On for Missing Woman AMELIA BAMBRIDGE on Koh Rong, Cambodia (RIP)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Search On for Missing Woman AMELIA BAMBRIDGE on Koh Rong, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Amelia Bambridge: three questioned as Cambodia search for UK backpacker widens
Men are thought to be locals but no arrests made, as sniffer dogs and extra boats brought in
Jamie Fullerton in Koh Rong
@jamiefullerton1

Tue 29 Oct 2019 06.10 GMT
Last modified on Tue 29 Oct 2019 06.23 GMT
Cambodian officials looking for Amelia Bambridge, the British woman missing on Koh Rong island since Thursday, are focusing their search on fishing boats and have interviewed three men about her disappearance.

Bambridge, 21, from Sussex, was last seen at around 3am on Thursday at a beach party. Nearly 150 Cambodian officials plus seven volunteers have been searching the island and surrounding areas since Saturday.

Three men, believed to be Cambodians, were placed in handcuffs by police on the island on Monday and taken for questioning.

Volunteer search party organisers said it was common for local police to handcuff people without arresting them. A Koh Rong official working with police told the Guardian that there had been no arrests related to the search.

Officers told Ben Warner, who is leading the volunteer search team, that the three men had not been linked to the party Bambridge was believed to have gone missing from. CCTV showed that she arrived at the event at around 2am, but she was not filmed leaving.

The Guardian understands that at least one of the three men worked at a hostel on Koh Rong. On Monday Harry Bambridge, Amelia’s brother, was accompanied by police as he searched the man’s possessions in the hostel.

Harry has complained about a lack of support from the British government regarding the search but said he the family met with police in the HQ in Sihanoukville this morning, writing on social media: “Everyone’s [Cambodian officials] said that they’re not going to stop until she’s found, so I feel a little bit more positive.”

On Monday, Amelia’s father, Phil, had said he was losing hope she would be found alive.

Sniffer dogs from Phnom Penh are expected to arrive on Koh Rong on Tuesday to help with the search, and extra boats are being dispatched from Sihanoukville for the ocean search.

Officials and volunteers have placed added focus on checking fishing boats that may have recently been near Police Beach, where Bambridge went missing. Her backpack, containing items including her bank cards and phone, was found on rocks by the beach on Thursday morning.

Warner said: “We’re running out of areas where we can look on land, so we’re trying to look at ways that she could have got off the island.”

Laura Link, volunteer search team co-leader, appealed for anyone with photos showing boats around Police Beach to contact her.

A police spokesperson said: “At this point it’s still an all-area search. They’re searching under the rocks in the ocean and on top of the ocean, but now they want to get in the jungle. All departments are here today: police, navy, military.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ker-widens
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The family is frustrated at the lack of progress, and not feeling supported by UK Embassy officials in Cambodia.

Missing Amelia Bambridge: 'No real leads' in Cambodia search, brother says
28 October 2019
The brother of a British backpacker missing in Cambodia says he feels let down by the UK government as the search for her continues.
[excerpt]
Mr Bambridge added: "We have a 20-minute window where we can place her and then she just disappears.

"For me something's not right. We have had divers out searching the water. The water is shallow so the chances of her drowning are quite slim.

"There is a breakdown in communication with the language barrier. I believe the police are doing the best they can.

"I have had zero involvement from the UK government. Where's the support?"

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has been contacted for a statement.

It has previously said: "We are assisting the family of a British woman who has been reported missing in Cambodia and are in close contact with the Cambodian police."
Full article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-50210336
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Latest: 30minutes ago
Koh Rong Town - (Additional news): The search for the missing British woman on Koh Rong island is still ongoing, according to Koh Rong administration officials as of 29 October 2019, but there is no news yet.
In order to take part in the search for the British woman, Oknha Tep Vichet has come to assist the search with a volunteer team of six experienced men to coordinate the shore search by boat.
The search on October 29, 2019 has been divided into three categories: search teams on foot in the island's jungle, shore search teams in boats, and an undersea search with divers.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

Who actually manages the search and the organization? Can someone send me a contact? In almost all pictures the missing person can be seen with the wristwatch, which was found in the bag. I can not imagine that the missing one dropped off this clock at night to go swimming. In all respects, but now you should change from a missing person case to a criminal case and look for possible traces.

There should be used in any case professionals with corpse detection dogs, there are very well-trained in Thailand, there should take care of the responsible consulate drum and apology - not voluntary backpackers. I hope and wish for the best - but here in Cambodia you have to start from the worst scenario and there must also just all means of transport and routes to and from the island and houses and plots of dogs are searched, in such a terrain structure, the only correct means, instead Hundreds of volunteers or police forces - who may have good intentions but can not make an impact.

Also, the police must finally initiate investigations and ask the right questions. If someone can give me the contact details, I would be grateful and please tell me what the British consulate has done so far - if it did, I would like to help.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:42 pm The family is frustrated at the lack of progress, and not feeling supported by UK Embassy officials in Cambodia.

"There is a breakdown in communication with the language barrier. I believe the police are doing the best they can.

It has previously said: "We are assisting the family of a British woman who has been reported missing in Cambodia and are in close contact with the Cambodian police."
[/quote]

Where is our Ambassador?

'Assisting'??

We all know the answer to that one!

Sorry - it has to be said! Disgusting.

Contrast that with Cambodia pulling out all the stops.
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Mishmash wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:29 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:42 pm The family is frustrated at the lack of progress, and not feeling supported by UK Embassy officials in Cambodia.

Where is our Ambassador?

'Assisting'??

We all know the answer to that one!

Sorry - it has to be said! Disgusting.

Contrast that with Cambodia pulling out all the stops.
[/quote]

You're so right. These lousy standard answers of politicians and nothing more. When help is sought at the state level, such as the Embassy, ​​the roads are much easier and faster. The Thai police and the military have set up appropriate dog teams since the tsunami in 2004, these could be determined within max. 2 days on site, that means they could have been working since yesterday.

Also, I do not understand why the police has not yet evaluated the smartphone and has analyzed pictures + chat history in the last days before disappearing. I think that every little clue is important until you can exclude it. But that the British Consulate does not really get involved in the case - that is already a real scandal at this time! I can't understand why???
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Search On for Missing Woman, Amelia Bambridge, on Koh Rong

CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 pm
Also, I do not understand why the police has not yet evaluated the smartphone and has analyzed pictures + chat history in the last days before disappearing. I think that every little clue is important until you can exclude it.
Why do you say that the police have not checked her phone? They are also asking for photos and videos from everyone who was present at the party.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 pm Spread the word. Some of these people may have left the island by now.
Hi everyone!

In order to help with the search of Amelia, we are asking EVERYONE who was at the party on The night of Wednesday the 23rd to please message either Laura, Police Beach, or myself ALL of the photos and videos they’ve taken WITH TIME STAMPS ATTACHED the night/early morning of her disappearance.

Also if you know of anyone who has also been to the party to please do the same!

All and any help is greatly appreciated!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

But that the British Consulate does not really get involved in the case - that is already a real scandal at this time! I can't understand why???
The very least the Embassy could have done was 'show their face' down there.

Ironman sent his top guy in the region and ordered in the troops, so where is the UK.

Shameful.

I won't say more.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:17 pm
But that the British Consulate does not really get involved in the case - that is already a real scandal at this time! I can't understand why???
The very least the Embassy could have done was 'show their face' down there.

Ironman sent his top guy in the region and ordered in the troops, so where is the UK.

Shameful.

I won't say more.
it's possible the embassy urged this case with cambodian counterparts
but I agree, they should be on the ground if only for their own good looks

monstra mihi bona!
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Search On for Missing Woman, Amelia Bambridge, on Koh Rong

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm
Also, I do not understand why the police has not yet evaluated the smartphone and has analyzed pictures + chat history in the last days before disappearing. I think that every little clue is important until you can exclude it.
Why do you say that the police have not checked her phone? They are also asking for photos and videos from everyone who was present at the party.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 pm Spread the word. Some of these people may have left the island by now.
Hi everyone!

In order to help with the search of Amelia, we are asking EVERYONE who was at the party on The night of Wednesday the 23rd to please message either Laura, Police Beach, or myself ALL of the photos and videos they’ve taken WITH TIME STAMPS ATTACHED the night/early morning of her disappearance.

Also if you know of anyone who has also been to the party to please do the same!

All and any help is greatly appreciated!
That would be good then. I really mean the evaluation of the smartphone of the missing person with recent calls, chat histories and everything, the other with pictures and pictures from the date of the party night I have read, that is of course important, but I did not mean. Sorry, for the little misunderstanding, if I've mispronounced myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic