There's a New World's Longest Flight

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: There's a New World's Longest Flight

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Longest non-stop flight I've taken was from Dubai to Auckland, was supposed to be just under 16 hrs, but ended up being just over. Thankfully I got upgraded for free to Business Class, but even still that's a long time couped up in a plane, wouldn't choose to do it again.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:54 am Flown from Perth to London a few times. 17 hours is a long trip but with a couple of hours stopped in Abu Dahbi thrown in, the old flight took considerably longer.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
No way you'd get me on a 17-hour flight; there is not enough booze in the world to make that bearable.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 am
Barang chgout wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:54 am Flown from Perth to London a few times. 17 hours is a long trip but with a couple of hours stopped in Abu Dahbi thrown in, the old flight took considerably longer.....

No way you'd get me on a 17-hour flight; there is not enough booze in the world to make that bearable.
At least it's a night time flight the entire journey PER-LHR. You could pop a couple of valium and (hopefully) get a good sleep for half of it. Still, if it was me I'd rather stop over in Singapore, HK or even Delhi for a couple of hours. Chance to recover for a spell, before doing the rest.

If you're coming the other direction, select a window seat on the port side of the plane so you can control the window shades and (hopefully) not be the prick opening them at dawn and blinding someone on the other side of the plane (my pet hate).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 am

At least it's a night time flight the entire journey PER-LHR. You could pop a couple of valium and (hopefully) get a good sleep for half of it. Still, if it was me I'd rather stop over in Singapore, HK or even Delhi for a couple of hours. Chance to recover for a spell, before doing the rest.

If you're coming the other direction, select a window seat on the port side of the plane so you can control the window shades and (hopefully) not be the prick opening them at dawn and blinding someone on the other side of the plane (my pet hate).
I only tried Valiums once, never again. Still couldn't sleep and was all fcuked up for the 14-hour flight.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I'd be up for that. Once you get yourself in the mindset of a long flight I don't think it makes much difference if it is 12/14/17hrs.

I find the mid range short haul ones (4-5 hours) to be a lot worse as the legroom is shocking, normally no food/drink and you are expecting it to go quickly. Also, no in flight entertainment and normally during the day.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 pm I'd be up for that. Once you get yourself in the mindset of a long flight I don't think it makes much difference if it is 12/14/17hrs.

I find the mid range short haul ones (4-5 hours) to be a lot worse as the legroom is shocking, normally no food/drink and you are expecting it to go quickly. Also, no in flight entertainment and normally during the day.
When I few to Chennai recently on AirAsia I had forgotten they don't sell alcohol on AK flight numbers, only D7 (AirAsia X). Should have packed a couple of 100mL Vodka "shampoos" in my carry on. It's like $10 for a beer at KLIA2.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The whole vodka toilet accessory range has a lot to recommend it. 8)
Goes good with the xanax too.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

EVA from the US to Taipei clocks in at 16+ hours. Leave just after midnight. Switched from Singapore Airlines (to Cambodia) because I couldn’t take the 32-36 hour overall travel time each way.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Another "world's longest flight" started today. Fast-track from SEA to the US east coast. They say it's super-comfortable, but it's also super-expensive - no economy class, just premium economy and business class.

11 October 2018
World's New Longest Flight From Singapore to Newark Launches Today
Eric RosenContributor
Travel

Singapore Airlines announced in May that it planned to operate the longest airline route in the world, from Singapore to New York, starting in October, and the launch date has finally arrived.

The new route is from the airline’s hub at Singapore Changi International Airport to Newark Liberty International Airport. All told, the flight takes 18 hours, 25 minutes on the outbound, and an astonishing 18 hours, 45 minutes on the return leg from Newark to Singapore. The route covers a distance of approximately 9,521 miles, nearly 500 miles longer than the next-longest airline route (Qatar’s service between Auckland and Doha).

The move actually marks a return to flying between Newark and Singapore for Singapore Airlines since the carrier operated this same route for a decade before pulling it from the schedule in 2013. Back then, Singapore Airlines operated it using an all-business-class Airbus A340-500. Today, the airline plans to employ one of the world’s newest next-generation jets, the Airbus A350-900ULR.

The ULR in the plane’s name stands for “ultra-long-haul” because the jet is capable of flying over 1,800 miles farther than the standard A350-900 variant. Like the A350-900 already operated by Singapore Airlines on other routes, as well as other carriers like Cathay Pacific, Delta and Qatar Airways, the A350-900ULR incorporates a host of technological advances that allow it to cover long distances while maintaining superior comfort in the passenger cabin.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericrosen/ ... today/amp/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Qantas tests long-haul flight
By TTR WEEKLY -
October 22, 2019
SYDNEY, 22 October 2019: The first non-stop commercial airline flight from New York to Sydney landed 20 October after 19 hours 16 minutes in the air.

A total of 49 passengers and crew were on the flight, which was used to run a series of experiments to assess health and wellbeing onboard.

Data from these experiments will be used to help shape the crew rostering and customer service of Qantas’ ultra long haul flights in future – including Project Sunrise.

Tests ranged from monitoring pilot brain waves, melatonin levels and alertness, through to exercise classes for passengers.

Cabin lighting and in-flight meals were also adjusted in ways that are expected to help reduce jetlag, according to the medical researchers and scientists who have partnered with Qantas.

Arriving in Sydney, Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce said: “This is a really significant first for aviation. Hopefully, it’s a preview of a regular service that will speed up how people travel from one side of the globe to the other.

“We know ultra long haul flights pose some extra challenges but that’s been true every time technology has allowed us to fly further. The research we’re doing should give us better strategies for improving comfort and wellbeing along the way.

“Night flights usually start with dinner and then lights off. For this flight, we started with lunch and kept the lights on for the first six hours, to match the time of day at our destination. It means you start reducing the jetlag straight away.
https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2019/10/ ... ul-flight/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic