Reasonably cheap bicycle in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Reasonably cheap bicycle in Phnom Penh

Post by Manga »

Hi all,

I'm looking buy a reasonably cheap bicycle in Phnom Penh.
Something to explore the general area and do shopping with.

I met a guy that bought a used Japanese commuter bicycle at a place near O'Russey market for $40.
I found that a bit pricey for a 2nd hand bicycle or would that be the average asking price for such a bike ?

Does anyone know of other shops (addresses please) selling bicycles and average costs for various bicycles (eg: commuters, mountain bike, road racer) ?

Regards
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Reasonably cheap bicycle in Phnom Penh

Post by explorer »

If the bike you saw was a 26" or 27" Japanese ladies bike with gears, alternator in the middle of the front wheel, headlight, carrier/pannier and basket, $40 is a good price. People often pay $50. If it did not have gears and a headlight, $40 is what people would normally pay.

I recommend you get a mountain bike. They are much better to ride if you do a significant amount of cycling. A new mountain bike may be a little over $100, or more, depending what you buy. You can look for good second hand ones.

I suggest you ask at various shops, and see where you can get a good deal.

There are a lot of bicycle shops near O'Russey market. But you can look in bicycle shops anywhere.

Cambodians sometimes ask stupidly high prices to rip off foreigners. If it is too expensive, walk away.

Sometimes people leave Cambodia, and sell bicycles cheap. If you are lucky, you may find one of them.

If you want to explore Cambodians villages, on the dirt tracks, you can go to 'Scott' (also near O'Russey market) and buy a fat bike, with large tires. It should be under $400.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Manga »

Thanks
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

I just thought I'd add this info. I was in PP the first week of November looking for a mountain bike & buying one.
Aeon 2 mall has a bike shop that has basic mountain bikes labelled "Japan Quaility" around $250 plus priced up accesoires and a repair shop!
They also have Giant & other brands and a Giant was for sale for $370
Gaint store itself had adult sized bikes from $460 - 10% discount on everthing for the water festival
Scott bikes have simialr around $500
Flying bike have a GT Agressor which is similar for $399 then one more GT for $600 everythnig else looked Canondale and expensive.
107 Street. Shops there had the basic type as in Aeon ( by basic I mean unknown brand and usually 26" wheels small or medium frames) from £250 plus (if you come along 214 Street after crossing Preah Monivong Blvd. just before you trun left into 107 st is a decent little bike shop and the young lady that works there speaks English)

Hope this helps and before anyone asks I bought a Gaint.
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Manga »

Thanks people. However I wouldn't consider $400 as "cheap". I'm thinking more around $50 :facepalm:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cheap bike (under $100)
heavy frames, lousy cheap Chinese components, will break often, not fun to ride at all
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Manga wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am Hi all,

I'm looking buy a reasonably cheap bicycle in Phnom Penh.
Something to explore the general area and do shopping with.

I met a guy that bought a used Japanese commuter bicycle at a place near O'Russey market for $40.
I found that a bit pricey for a 2nd hand bicycle or would that be the average asking price for such a bike ?

Does anyone know of other shops (addresses please) selling bicycles and average costs for various bicycles (eg: commuters, mountain bike, road racer) ?

Regards
O'Russey market was always the place for cheap bicycles, not been in that area for years. Here is an old report on area.
:D
Buying a bicycle in Phnom Penh November 17, 2013
https://cambodiadreaming.wordpress.com/ ... hnom-penh/
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Place for bicycle > Heng Ly market

Many resellers , large choice, can bargain as seller are all at the same place.

I bought one there, if you don't like for example the saddle ask for a change.
They have many spare parts.
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Manga »

Thanks Orussey, I'll have to go check out Heng Ly market.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I bought this in Orrussey for 30 bucks 5 years ago and used it for 6 months. Shopping etc.
was actually quite a nice ride.
I recommend buying a used one because these new cheap ones are just junk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic