Essex: 39 bodies found in truck

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Essex: 39 bodies found in truck

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:52 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:20 pm From bubble tea to disaster: How one Vietnamese dreamer apparently met her fate
OK non-PC but true.

I'm tired of this 'poor' angle.

I wish I had 30k. Christ - pensioners in the UK who have worked all their lives would love it instead of freezing to death every winter because they can't afford the power bill

"Many families in Yen Thanh got rich from money sent back by their children working abroad," said Le Dinh Tuan, a neighbour who had gone to her house to check on her mother.

They decided illegal ways to fuck my country and suffered the consequences.

Get a visa.

If I came to Vietnam no visa no skills no fuck all you would be the first to jail and deport me - and no doubt heap shit on my head as a 'rich barang'.

30k huh!!! :stir:
So where do you draw the line, if they are fuckng your country for free? if they are under 18? If they fuck your country but don t get "rich"? how rich is rich ? Having aircon and running water? Did this kid deserve his fate as well?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:19 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:20 pm From bubble tea to disaster: How one Vietnamese dreamer apparently met her fate
OK non-PC but true.

I wish I had 30k. Christ - pensioners in the UK who have worked all their lives would love it instead of freezing to death every winter because they can't afford the power bill

"Many families in Yen Thanh got rich from money sent back by their children working abroad," said Le Dinh Tuan, a neighbour who had gone to her house to check on her mother.

Get a visa.

If I came to Vietnam no visa no skills no fuck all you would be the first to jail and deport me - and no doubt heap shit on my head as a 'rich barang'.

So where do you draw the line, if they are fuckng your country for free? if they are under 18? If they fuck your country but don t get "rich"? how rich is rich ? Having aircon and running water? Did this kid deserve his fate as well?
Strawman.

There are legal ways.

I hate traffickers of course bro.

I dislike this intensely as you know.

However 30k is not poor and I'm taking a stand against the media portrayal of it as such.

I sympathize entirely for sure, but in the end they were lawbreakers.

Just for the record

15% of Brits have no savings at all
And one in three Brits has less than £1,500 in savings
Average savings £10,200

So 30k is NOT poor.

They had more money than most people in the UK which is a fairly affluent country by any measure.

In fact they would join the top 12% of UK savers if you look the stats.
Last edited by Mishmash on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Isaanbarang wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:50 am
I take it if she were a Belgian male with a drug problem your view of helping her and your empathy for her would be different. Chances are pretty high that the 19 year old girl didn t have 30k of her own. Sorry but I will agree to disagree with you on this one.
True..

My argument is the media portrayal of 'poor' when they are not

I have feelings too and I am heartbroken.

I wish they had gone the legal route.

Just for the record

15% of Brits have no savings at all
And one in three Brits has less than £1,500 in savings
Average savings £10,200

So 30k is NOT poor.

They had more money than most people in the UK which is a fairly affluent country by any measure.

In fact they would join the top 12% of UK savers if you look the stats.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:19 am
OK non-PC but true.

Get a visa.

Strawman.

There are legal ways.

I hate traffickers of course bro.

I dislike this intensely as you know.

However 30k is not poor and I'm taking a stand against the media portrayal of it as such.

I sympathize entirely for sure, but in the end they were lawbreakers.
From BBC
"A local volunteer in the camp told us that they'd seen Vietnamese and British men visiting migrants here in a Mercedes. And that once migrants arrived in the UK, some went to work in cannabis farms, after which all communication stopped. Duc tells me he needs a job in the UK to pay back the loan for his journey."[/b]

UP to 25 victims of the Essex lorry horror are from one Vietnamese farming village, it was claimed.Families in Yen Thanh are in mourning after hearing nothing from loved ones. It is feared they were among 31 men and eight women found in a refrigerated trailer, 5,000 miles away in Grays on Wednesday.The family of Pham Thi Tra My, 26, told how she was tricked into paying £30,000 for a “VIP” trip.Tra My texted her mum “I love you so much. I’m dying because I can’t breathe”, as she suffocated in the sealed trailer, it is claimed.Dad Pham Van Thin said he and his wife paid Snakehead gangs £30,000 for their daughter’s trip despite earning just £400 a month.Pham said: “I’ve lost my loved one and my money. The smugglers said this was a safe way — by plane or car."If I’d known she would go by this route, I would not have let her go.”Det Chief Insp Martin Pasmore, heading the task of identifying the bodies, said his team had found “very few” documents in the lorry. https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4 ... g-into-uk/

So one puts the family farm up as collateral and the daughter has to repay the loan shark out of her earnings when she arrives in the UK and takes that good-paying job that requires no experience or English speaking ability away from a Brit or the family losses the farm

or

from a salary of $400 a month, the family is able to save 30k over the years by eating rat and fish heads in hopes of having enough money to get one of them out to a country where the grass is greener.

Either way, I would suggest all of us on the forum could get the 30k if we had lived our life and saved the way many Asian families do or sucked enough dick to earn the cash as obviously some would have been forced to.

As Isaan Barang said, you kindly offered to help a "lawbreaker" yourself, why was his plight noble and the people murdered in the back of a truck's life not?

I suspect we all see trafficked humans in our daily life, be it at the market, a construction site or a brothel. Human traffickers are the vilest on the same level as pedos. I too wish that things were done legally, but I can t say I would not break immigration laws if it meant my children or parents could have a better life. And earning 400 a month and being able to save 30k is likely not the lifestyle I would choose. No disrespect to you intended.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:08 am

So one puts the family farm up as collateral and the daughter has to repay the loan shark out of her earnings when she arrives in the UK and takes that good-paying job that requires no experience or English speaking ability away from a Brit or the family losses the farm

or

from a salary of $400 a month, the family is able to save 30k over the years by eating rat and fish heads in hopes of having enough money to get one of them out to a country where the grass is greener.

Either way, I would suggest all of us on the forum could get the 30k if we had lived our life and saved the way many Asian families do or sucked enough dick to earn the cash as obviously some would have been forced to.

As Isaan Barang said, you kindly offered to help a "lawbreaker" yourself, why was his plight noble and the people murdered in the back of a truck's life not?

I suspect we all see trafficked humans in our daily life, be it at the market, a construction site or a brothel. Human traffickers are the vilest on the same level as pedos. I too wish that things were done legally, but I can t say I would not break immigration laws if it meant my children or parents could have a better life. And earning 400 a month and being able to save 30k is likely not the lifestyle I would choose. No disrespect to you intended.
I agree totally.. and your points are excellent for debate.

I would have helped the Viets too if it lay within my power to do so.

I'm thinking like you about Human Traffickers & Pedos - scumbags

I can't say that the families were victims here. They were not 'forced'. They willingly took part in an illegal operation. They knew full well what they were doing.

To be frank - the families should be charged also as they are complicit.

They could have used the 30k legally and stood a good chance, but instead chose to undermine the efforts of thousands of others who work just as hard in similar circumstances who choose the legal options

Shall I rob a bank and get shot and then claim poverty or i was 'tricked' as a defense when I have 30k?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:08 am

or

I agree totally.. and your points are excellent for debate.

I would have helped the Viets too if it lay within my power to do so.

I'm thinking like you about Human Traffickers & Pedos - scumbags

I can't say that the families were victims here. They were not 'forced'. They willingly took part in an illegal operation. They knew full well what they were doing.

To be frank - the families should be charged also as they are complicit.

They could have used the 30k legally and stood a good chance, but instead chose to undermine the efforts of thousands of others who work just as hard in similar circumstances who choose the legal options

Shall I rob a bank and get shot and then claim poverty or i was 'tricked' as a defense when I have 30k?
According to the Home Office, it takes 2,000,000 UKP to get investor status and legal residency in the UK. 30,000 pounds isn t going to open any doors that would allow you to work and live in the UK. I don t think threatening someone with violence (ie robbery) and seeking a better life are equal though both are illegal in this case. And yes I would show more mercy towards a thief who stole food to feed his family than a thief who stole a new Spirit of Ecstacy ornament for his paid for Rolls Royce. Illegal immigration is a difficult problem as is economic migrants, we here, are all from nations blessed with good incomes and opportunities. None of us made any effort to be born in these countries, we won the lottery without buying a ticket. I have seen unimaginable slums in the Philippines and can honestly say I have empathy for those that do wrong to give their families a better life.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:17 am
According to the Home Office, it takes 2,000,000 UKP to get investor status and legal residency in the UK. 30,000 pounds isn t going to open any doors that would allow you to work and live in the UK. I don t think threatening someone with violence (ie robbery) and seeking a better life are equal though both are illegal in this case. And yes I would show more mercy towards a thief who stole food to feed his family than a thief who stole a new Spirit of Ecstacy ornament for his paid for Rolls Royce. Illegal immigration is a difficult problem as is economic migrants, we here, are all from nations blessed with good incomes and opportunities. None of us made any effort to be born in these countries, we won the lottery without buying a ticket. I have seen unimaginable slums in the Philippines and can honestly say I have empathy for those that do wrong to give their families a better life.
The Golden Passports are expensive.

It doesn't cost that much for residency - what is required is to come legally and obey the law for a period of time - that's all.

30k is good enough for anyone to start.

My friend came from Pakistan - got a student visa - with less than that.

Then he applied for work to help support himself further while studying - granted!!!

Became a qualified accountant and works and lives in the UK permanently.

His parents are justly proud and so am I.

And then - according to the Law his family can also come - all down to him doing the right thing!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If it was 25 persons from one village and they all paid $30,000 then that adds up to $750,000.
The village could have started an industry that could have benefited the whole village.

BUT in realistic terms IF this was the amount paid by each person then how did they expect to recoup that money in the next 10,15 or 20 years and to profit after that time.

The problem is the snakeheads tell embellished stories to get the people to believe that they can make this money back quickly and do so by getting a good job when in fact if the do arrive unscathed they will be put into horrible servitude either in the manufacturing industry, the rural industry or in the case of younger females the sex industry.

Bullshit you say.......... no... I have seen the end product and it is not pretty and they are not making much money to send home, some none at all.

The recruiters "snakeheads" are evil people but the end users , the people who "hire" them are the biggest problem. Their purchasing slaves ( because that is what these poor individuals are) continues the trade and enables the shitheads to keep conning people with dreams of escape from poverty.

This is not just an Asian problem, it is a "First World " problem because they are the ones who provide the demand.
Without demand there is no need for supply.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Arget wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:36 am If it was 25 persons from one village and they all paid $30,000 then that adds up to $750,000.
The village could have started an industry that could have benefited the whole village.

BUT in realistic terms IF this was the amount paid by each person then how did they expect to recoup that money in the next 10,15 or 20 years and to profit after that time.

The problem is the snakeheads tell embellished stories to get the people to believe that they can make this money back quickly and do so by getting a good job when in fact if the do arrive unscathed they will be put into horrible servitude either in the manufacturing industry, the rural industry or in the case of younger females the sex industry.

Bullshit you say.......... no... I have seen the end product and it is not pretty and they are not making much money to send home, some none at all.

The recruiters "snakeheads" are evil people but the end users , the people who "hire" them are the biggest problem. Their purchasing slaves ( because that is what these poor individuals are) continues the trade and enables the shitheads to keep conning people with dreams of escape from poverty.

This is not just an Asian problem, it is a "First World " problem because they are the ones who provide the demand.
Without demand there is no need for supply.
Well said bro...

But it's like this IMHO.

The families KNEW it was illegal.

It's all over the social media everyday on their smartphones and Facebook about the consequences of Illegal stuff - slavery, drugs, prostitution.

Yet they did it anyway. They cannot claim ignorance or being 'tricked'

It's tough enough for most going to a foreign country legally.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

From Essex Police. The other three held have been released on Police Bail without charge, so far.

Update: Sunday 27 October 11:24

Three people arrested in connection with the investigation into the deaths of the 39 people whose bodies were found in Grays on Wednesday have been released on bail.

A 38 year-old man and a 38 year-old woman from Warrington were arrested in Cheshire on Friday 25 October while a 46 year-old man from Northern Ireland was arrested at Stansted Airport later the same day.

All three had been questioned on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.

The man and woman from Warrington have both been released on bail until 11 November while the man from Northern Ireland has been bailed until 13 November.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic