Vegetarian meals - cheap, freshly made and tasty?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Georgina
Expatriate

Vegetarian meals - cheap, freshly made and tasty?

Post by Georgina »

In my observation, strict vegetarians will find Cambodian food the second worst in Asia (Philippines wins that contest). Aside from South Asian restaurants and a couple of standbys (one gets tired eating at the same 3-5 places after five years) the only veg eateries are low-end Vietnamese and Mahayana Buddhist (i.e. Chinese) places - usually of questionable hygiene.

I am suggesting here that we start a thread dedicated to vegan, vegetarian and ovo-vegetarian (if free range eggs are used) eateries. I will begin...

1. RUSSIAN MARKET MORNING STALLS: Two basic places side by side on the ground floor. Opens t 6:30 a.m. Today I had vermicelli, curried veg and stuffed bitter melon for 6000 riel.
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Vegetarian meals - cheap, freshly made and tasty?

Post by Francis »

The human body consists of 90 % fat. It is unnatural and unhealthy to consume vegetarian food only :D . Maybe Cambodians have realized that (well, I doubt it....they just eat)
Although I certainly won’t discredit the many benefits of a vegetarian diet, there’s reason to believe that a well-balanced omnivorous diet is a far healthier choice. Studies have repeatedly shown that vegetarians who fail to supplement their diets with Vitamin D, B12 and iron are prone to becoming dangerously anemic. Vegetarians also typically miss out on omega-3 fatty acids. These unsaturated acids have been proved to slow the progression of atherosclerosis, reduce triglyceride levels, act as anti-inflammatory agents, and potentially help with depression and some personality disorders.

Cambodia is a good country to become an omnivore.......take the chance.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Francis wrote:The human body consists of 90 % fat.
Citation please because I really don't believe that.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Digg3r wrote:
Francis wrote:The human body consists of 90 % fat.
Citation please because I really don't believe that.
Essential fat for women varies from 10%-%13 and for men 2%-5% This can go up to 32%+ for obese women and 25%+ for obese men. http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/health ... entage-of/I think Francis was thinking about body water content which is often erroneously quoted as 90% when in fact it is about 65% http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_water
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

OOOOOpssssssss.....little mistakes can happen.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

One little mistake and yet the whiff of BS just lingers, doesn't it?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Georgina
Expatriate

Post by Georgina »

My purpose for posting the review was not to engender a debate on the benefits or otherwise of being vegetarian - but rather simply to provide leads for those who eat this way. I would be happy to continue doing eatery reviews in this vein. If not enough persons are interested I will refrain from doing so.
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Georgina wrote:My purpose for posting the review was not to engender a debate on the benefits or otherwise of being vegetarian - but rather simply to provide leads for those who eat this way. I would be happy to continue doing eatery reviews in this vein. If not enough persons are interested I will refrain from doing so.
Personally, I think it's a great idea.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Georgina wrote:1. RUSSIAN MARKET MORNING STALLS: Two basic places side by side on the ground floor.
Russian Market only has a ground floor. Not the best location description, you might want to be more specific for those that are interested (definitely not me...I eat meat, and lots of it).
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Good news, and related to this thread...

Cambodian authorities are stepping up inspection efforts of vegetable imports along the border after Vietnamese produce shipped to the European Union was found to contain harmful bacteria, an official from the Kingdoms import inspection unit said yesterday.

Vietnamese media reported last week said that the European Union Consumer Protection Agency has issued a warning to the Vietnamese government that the country risked a ban on certain vegetables imported to the EU if the produce continued to violate safety standards.

An official from the General Department of Camcontrol, who asked not to be named as he is not authorised to speak to media, told the Post yesterday that although they had not yet found any breach of standards, they were now taking more precautionary measures to strengthen inspections at international checkpoints along the Vietnamese border.

“After receiving notification from the EU, we have sent more inspectors at all the important checkpoints along the Cambodia and Vietnam border, and inspection is now done in a stricter manner,” the official said.

“The inspections include the way the vegetables are packed, transported and at what temperature, and if found necessary, some of the sample will be sent to the laboratory for testing,” he went on to say.

The official said the department is working to prevent the worst case possible. However, he warned that consumers should pay extra attention to the hygiene standards applied to vegetables sold at the market.

“Vegetables should be washed and cooked well before consuming,” he said.

Researchers estimate that Cambodia imports more than 200 tonnes of vegetables from Vietnam each day.

Yang Saing Koma, president of the Cambodian Center for Study and Development in Agriculture (CEDAC), said a lack of local producers made Cambodia dependent on imported vegetables, which meant there was less control over production standards.

Cambodia is susceptible to the use of pesticides and chemicals used in farming in other countries Korma said.

“Because we do not have enough local growers, we imported most of the vegetable that cannot be produce locally. We have to be careful on this. The department of Camcontrol should double check on the imported vegetables,” he said.

Komar said that the government should adopt a national policy encouraging more farmers to start growing their own vegetables to.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/v ... -attention
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic