Burglary at the Department of Taxation in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Burglary at the Department of Taxation in Phnom Penh

Post by willyhilly »

I am amazed that no foreign gang has knocked off a bank safe full of US dollars. They must be some of the easiest banks in the world to rob.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, but you'd stick out and wouldn't be able to make a getaway. Some French guy tried that at ACLEDA or Canadia about ten years ago and barely got out the front doors. He's probably still in jail as I type this.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:16 pm Yeah, but you'd stick out and wouldn't be able to make a getaway. Some French guy tried that at ACLEDA or Canadia about ten years ago and barely got out the front doors. He's probably still in jail as I type this.
Francoise was having a bad day. He'd just been on the phone to his mom, and she was giving him a hard time. His garage he had been running for more than a decade had had ups and downs but this was a bad period. He drank a lot that afternoon and then decided to rob the bank around the corner from his house. He brought a very nice Glock with him. Unfortunately, due to general drunkenness he left his gun on the counter after holding the place up and getting about $300. The clerk picked it up and pointed it at him so he ran away straight into the plate glass doors and knocked himself out. During his trial he said he got the Glock for fixing some dude's car in 1993 or something. The dumbest thing was that the gun was worth a lot more than $300. like at least five times that. It was kind of pathetic. I hear he was released and is back in France now. For anyone saying it's easy to rob a bank here it's also very easy to get shot.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:33 am For anyone saying it's easy to rob a bank here it's also very easy to get shot.
I just let the banks rob me. It's much safer. 8-)
You could be next.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:33 am For anyone saying it's easy to rob a bank here it's also very easy to get shot.
I just let the banks rob me. It's much safer. 8-)
Yeah - all that "Bonnie & Clyde" Hollywood romanticism is a load of bollocks - went out with the stone age.

Even with the best of heists the crooks end up with a long stretch...

Better to be a banker - untouchable.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

You dudes ever see this colossal piece of shit?

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The gold shops grouped together next to Central Market would be an easier hit tbh.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

IraHayes wrote:The gold shops grouped together next to Central Market would be an easier hit tbh.
I'm guessing you've never noticed the cops with AKs sitting outside?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm The gold shops grouped together next to Central Market would be an easier hit tbh.
Armed robbery in Kampong Thom market in 2015:
Strong armed robbery at market nets $250k

A sleepy village in Kampong Thom province was the unlikely site of a major gold heist over the weekend, as a gang of heavily armed robbers raided a local market in broad daylight, making away with more than $250,000 worth of cash and jewellery before fleeing into the jungle.

As of yesterday evening, police were still seeking the arrests of the six suspects, who witnesses say were armed with four AK-47 assault rifles as they raided Stong Market’s jewellery section on Sunday afternoon, stealing money and jewellery from five different vendors.
newsworthy/strong-armed-robbery-market- ... t4204.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:34 pm
IraHayes wrote:The gold shops grouped together next to Central Market would be an easier hit tbh.
I'm guessing you've never noticed the cops with AKs sitting outside?
And on a multiple target hit those guys being taken out would have a two-fold effect.
1: Panic and confusion for the public
2: Let those inside the shops know if they went for the weapons close to hand they would meet the same fate.

Also, last time i looked the security was bored middle aged guys with ancient weapons. Doubt their salary would inspire them to bravado.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic