Essex: 39 bodies found in truck

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Essex: 39 bodies found in truck

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 am
Has it been reported that the refrigeration unit was on.
It has been reported in various outlets - but no official statements..

Sources close to Irish police said the lorry’s refrigeration unit - which could have plunged temperatures as low as -25C - was turned on, leaving those inside with "no chance of survival".
Even if the trailer was not chilled the victims may have suffered agonising deaths as oxygen slowly ran out.
The Mayor of Zeebrugge, Dirk De Fauw, insist the migrants were dead before they arrived at Zeebrugge, or they would have been detected by heat cameras.
He added: "If you end up in such a box with 39 people, you're going to die."

If you check the verified text message time from the young Vietnamese lady it was at 22:30 BST so the Mayor of Zebbrugge's statement cannot be true, as it is an 8 hour sea journey from there to the UK, and the ship made dock around midnight.

The other text she sent was at 06:20 BST saying she was getting into the container.

Other sources:

"The bodies closest to the doors had foam coming from their mouths and were in the early stages of rigor mortis.

"There were bloody handprints all along the inside of the lorry door where they must have been banging for help.

"[The dead people] were wearing little clothing, and in some cases were naked."

At this stage, media can be sensationalist.

I checked the shipping registers and the vessel is likely the Belgian Flagged MV Clementine (arrival 23-10-19 00:10BST)

Port, Arrival Time, Departure Time, Time in Port

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Update : The Lorry driver has been charged with manslaughter.

A lorry driver has been charged with the manslaughter of 39 people found dead inside a refrigerated trailer.

Maurice Robinson, 25, was arrested after the bodies of 31 men and eight women were found in Grays on Wednesday.

He is further charged with people trafficking, immigration and money laundering offences, Essex Police said.

Mr Robinson, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon, Northern Ireland, is due before Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Also it appears that most if not all of the victims are from Vietnam.

20 families have come forward so far.

More to come
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Mishmash wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 am
Duncan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 am
Has it been reported that the refrigeration unit was on.
It has been reported in various outlets - but no official statements..

Sources close to Irish police said the lorry’s refrigeration unit - which could have plunged temperatures as low as -25C - was turned on, leaving those inside with "no chance of survival".
Even if the trailer was not chilled the victims may have suffered agonising deaths as oxygen slowly ran out.
The Mayor of Zeebrugge, Dirk De Fauw, insist the migrants were dead before they arrived at Zeebrugge, or they would have been detected by heat cameras.
He added: "If you end up in such a box with 39 people, you're going to die."

If you check the verified text message time from the young Vietnamese lady it was at 22:30 BST so the Mayor of Zebbrugge's statement cannot be true, as it is an 8 hour sea journey from there to the UK, and the ship made dock around midnight.

The other text she sent was at 06:20 BST saying she was getting into the container.

Other sources:

"The bodies closest to the doors had foam coming from their mouths and were in the early stages of rigor mortis.

"There were bloody handprints all along the inside of the lorry door where they must have been banging for help.

"[The dead people] were wearing little clothing, and in some cases were naked."

At this stage, media can be sensationalist.

I checked the shipping registers and the vessel is likely the Belgian Flagged MV Clementine (arrival 23-10-19 00:10BST)

Port, Arrival Time, Departure Time, Time in Port

Regarding the statement that “some victims were wearing little clothing and in some cases were naked” Removal of clothing is one of the symptoms of severe hypothermia.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't understand how anyone in Vietnam with 30k could think about trafficking themselves to the UK. I feel bad for the victims, and I get it if you're dirt poor looking for a new start, but of you've got 30k in Vietnam, seems like you'd have many options for a good life there.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Often extended families pitch in to pay the smuggler. These people pay for the privilege of being trafficked and exploited.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It is virtually impossible in the UK to get any kind of decent work without the paperwork and correct visas.

Like here, companies who employ illegals face stiff penalties.

Before - Yes. Now - No. Tight as a gnat's chuff.

You can see the slave labor queue up every day in certain locations for the gang-masters to take them illegal work in low pay scum jobs.

I saw with my own eyes.

Trafficked in every sense of the word.

Murder in this case.

30k is a lot of dough. You can go legally with that amount of cash for sure.
jd1965
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by jd1965 »

Soriya wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am
angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 pm Heartbreaking, although I'm sure there will be some sick xenophobes, as in the states at the border, who will celebrate the deaths of these immigrants whose only crime was trying to find a better life. 38 adults and 1 teenager it says with an Northern Irishman arrested for murder. RIP to all
The driver called the cops and ambulance himself.

Seems he's an innocent party also - he was released yesterday despite the tabloid reports.
As of 30 minutes ago the driver was still under arrest and the police obtained extra time to question him
Good, hope they went Jerry Conlon style on him.
Hope the cunt gets the same treatment for the rest of his miserable life. In all reality I hope the pigs will do the same to him and every one else involved.

Fuck I feel sick now. Thanks for ruining today and the next few days to come!!!!!!

So sorry there are such sick fucks out there!!!!!!!!

But this doesn't make any sense I'm Belgian, and worked for quite a few years for an antique auctioneer dealer as truckdriver. One of my duties during was buying antiques in London whenever we ran out. Everytime I did one of my London runs my truck got thoroughly checked. It's the countries law. There must have been a bent cunt of an immigration officer involved.

This is sick dudes.
Makes me feel sick to the core to be part of.the human race.
Got tears rolling down my cheeks as I'm writing this.

Fuck, fuck fuck. What a way to go !!!!!!!!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Mishmash wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:42 am Update : The Lorry driver has been charged with manslaughter.

A lorry driver has been charged with the manslaughter of 39 people found dead inside a refrigerated trailer.

Maurice Robinson, 25, was arrested after the bodies of 31 men and eight women were found in Grays on Wednesday.

He is further charged with people trafficking, immigration and money laundering offences, Essex Police said.

Mr Robinson, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon, Northern Ireland, is due before Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Also it appears that most if not all of the victims are from Vietnam.

20 families have come forward so far.

More to come
He must of had a big pile of cash in the lorry, probably concealed, for that charge to be layed. Once the police have that, they know he is up to his neck in it and the other charges can follow.

I have imported goods from Italy into the UK in the past and when they came over on a lorry the driver will have a manifest and a sales invoice for the consignee. There may be multiple drop offs. They then go straight to the consignee(s), off load and get on their way. Time is money in the haulage business.

They do not go to some random industrial park and open the truck on spec unless they are at a destination point and, in such a case, they would have verifiable paperwork from the consignor to support that stop and a bona fide consignee awaiting to receive the goods. If you've got 39 bodies on board you aren't going to have any of those things.

That leasing company in Ireland who registers the trucks in Bulgaria are up to their necks in this too, but that might be a bit harder to prove, but their cards are well and truly marked now...
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:10 am I don't understand how anyone in Vietnam with 30k could think about trafficking themselves to the UK. I feel bad for the victims, and I get it if you're dirt poor looking for a new start, but of you've got 30k in Vietnam, seems like you'd have many options for a good life there.
As I understand it from an older Vietnamese friend, the migrants borrow the money from the town mafia, so they are motivated to complete their trip and do anything they are told. They become slaves for a very long time, if they survive.

They make their decision based on sheer ignorance about job conditions and regulations in western countries. They also don't seem to know that Vietnam has a spectacularly healthy and growing economy, with companies shifting work and factories to VN from China and Thailand. They could have stayed at home and moved to another burgeoning province. According to another Viet source quoted in the media, many migrants come from particularly poor provinces, such as Ha Tinh in the north.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:00 am

He must of had a big pile of cash in the lorry, probably concealed, for that charge to be layed. Once the police have that, they know he is up to his neck in it and the other charges can follow.

I have imported goods from Italy into the UK in the past and when they came over on a lorry the driver will have a manifest and a sales invoice for the consignee. There may be multiple drop offs. They then go straight to the consignee(s), off load and get on their way. Time is money in the haulage business.

They do not go to some random industrial park and open the truck on spec unless they are at a destination point and, in such a case, they would have verifiable paperwork from the consignor to support that stop and a bona fide consignee awaiting to receive the goods. If you've got 39 bodies on board you aren't going to have any of those things.

That leasing company in Ireland who registers the trucks in Bulgaria are up to their necks in this too, but that might be a bit harder to prove, but their cards are well and truly marked now...
He's been charged with money laundering, and the UK won't charge him unless they have solid evidence.

Much as is wrong with our system - it's still looked up to as one of the best there is.

Damn - we even put terrorists up in 5 star hotels along with their extended families for years while the cases are prepared.

As I remarked - for 30k you can go legally to the UK no worries and get some kind of better life.

I hope they round up the whole lot of the traffickers.

The harrowing texts broke my heart...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic