Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:21 am
Arget wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:01 am
CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:11 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:56 am What is so special about this scammer? Why the reward?

We have so many of them in Cambodia, Scammer Steve, the milk scam, the Phillipino Card games, the kid beggars rented out by parents to support gambling habits, the Chinese fake monks, etc.

I would love to see them all shut down but wonder why this guy is drawing the most ire? Personally I want that Phillipino's taken out first as they are more dangerous (sometimes armed) and go after BIG money, second are the fake monks because I see it as disrespect for the Khmer monks and Buddhism.

The post to raise awareness makes sense, not so sure about the reward

This cheat is nothing special, but since he is on the road with the same scooter and the same license plate for 2 months, it should be easy to find. Furthermore, my post should also serve as prevention - because there are still many people who give without exactly thinking such people money. Why is that so hard to understand? This forum has a lot of members and external readers - so not just a few with stupid comments that believe they own this forum. And as for the reward: Yes, no problem - I can afford $ 250.00 at any time - only I am not so sure of some others in this forum with stupid comments...
So anyone who disagrees with you and your thoughts is stupid?

Have you considered that he is still operating in the same place, on the same motto, with the same MO because he is being protected and paying off someone? For all your "knowledge" and experience and contacts, surely this would have been an issue that you may have considered?

Move on :facepalm:
You may want to read a bit more thoroughly and then think and judge before commenting on it. Of course you can disagree and express this opinion here. But anyone who calls me a would-be policeman without even the slightest knowledge of me or knowing me, yes, this person is actually "stupid" for me and does not belong here this forum. Sometimes it helps that these people simply take their doctor prescribed medications without alcohol.

And as for this scammer: Yes, even criminals are sometimes "stupid" and make mistakes. He came to me with the same scam in the city area Siem Reap on the same scooter a second time, only that I could take good pictures this time and I already knew his scam. Once again - since it bothers many here that I was once a policeman -

1.) I know what I'm doing here or everywhere!
2.) No, I'm not interested in any recognition or anything else here - I have my awards and medals, which I have acquired in the service - all left in Germany
3.) Some comments here have nothing to do with the case or the subject and are against me and below the belt - because these people would certainly be too cowardly to tell me something like that in the face.
4.) Therefore, I am not sad that one or the other comment is deleted.
5.) Some members just spend too much time in this forum !!!
Sir, first of all, I have no problem with your desire to rid Cambodia of scammers. We all need a hobby of some kind and making the world a safer place is a noble hobby.

You are offended that some refer to you as a "would-be policeman". I believe you also admit you were once a policeman. You currently are not a policeman, regardless of how many awards you received in Germany and you think "would_be policeman" is apt.

You are angered that someone who does not know you personally judges you and yet you suggest that same person ( and you don t know them) abuses drugs and or alcohol. I believe this is called hypocrisy even in Germany and even in the police profession.

Often cops are not well received in the general population and tend to have circles of friends that are cops. Perhaps it is the holier than though attitude many seem to display. Perhaps it is many seem to not clock off at the end of a shift and continue to practice their craft after hours or after retirement. I know in my home country cops tend to live in certain areas, drink in certain bars and socialize with each other. I believe this only furthers them against us attitude many displays. As a highly decorated and commended police officer in Germany, I am sure this feeling of ostracization is not new to you.

I am not sure why you feel posters are cowardly because they make comments about you and not to your face. Firstly as a forum on the internet, it would be impossible for the comment to be made face to face and secondly unless you are intending to physically harm someone for their opinion, why would anyone fear giving it?

Many posts on all topics are frivolous, some posters lack the mental ability to make what I consider to be interesting or relevant posts. There is no IQ test to become a poster on this forum, it is not a Mensa only forum and as in life, in general, we all have different opinions. No doubt when you were a police officer you dealt with people that lacked your moral courage, selflessness or general intelligence. I hope you treated them with greater respect than you have these posters. If not, perhaps that is why you find many people are reticent to engage socially with cops.

Finally, as you have made 1/3 of the posts on this topic, I find it odd that you feel some posters spend too much time on the forum. Again I believe this is called hypocrisy.

Good luck on your hunt for this scammer. Your offer of a reward paid from your pocket shows your true desire to end this crime spree. Please, do not t take it personally that not many on the forum want to join your posse. I am a retired gynecologist and have a hard time leaving my professional life behind me as well now that I am no longer practicing. Like you, I would like to keep my hand in it for old time's sake.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

When Cambodians scam foreigners, foreigners think what the scammer is doing is wrong. Many Cambodians think the scammer is clever and the foreigner is stupid for falling for the scam. There are large numbers of Cambodians who know what he is doing, and just go along with it. In some situations they work together.

Stay in Cambodia, and you will come across many more scammers. I could give many examples. For example, you will meet some people with disabilities, and others who fake having disabilities going around asking for money. There are fake monks who ask foreigners for money. Some NGOs use dishonest methods to raise money. In Siem Reap you cant hire a motorbike, so you have to pay someone to take you everywhere, and they can charge you high prices. Then the police often stop people just so they can get money. When you report a crime to the police, you have to pay the police, and they often don't do anything about it. There are fake US dollars being printed, and some people get fake money from an ATM when they withdraw. Then there are relationships where the foreign husband loves his Cambodian girlfriend or wife, and the Cambodian woman is in it just to get money. The list could go on and on. There are so many scams, you cant stop them all. If I listed a thousand, I would not cover them all. Welcome to Scambodia.

Many Cambodians are racist. They are happy when other Cambodians scam foreigners. But they are not happy if foreigners do something bad to Cambodians. For example: If you are involved in an accident, the foreigner is always in the wrong, and has to pay.

Some people can be so 'clever' even you will probably fall for a scam some time. Sometimes because there is only a small amount of money involved, and you give them the benefit of the doubt. Some people can be so nice, and help you so much, when they tell you about a need for money, you believe them. What can make it so convincing is, another person comes along and confirms the story. You don't know they are working together to scam you. The most effective scammers are those you believe to be genuine.

So what do you do? First you stay smart, and avoid giving money to scammers. Then you can warn others, so they can avoid the scams. Then on this forum, expect some people to give you a hard time for telling the truth.

If you want one to take on, take on the fake US dollars. People should never get fake money from an ATM. I believe this should get so much media attention they are forced to do something about it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am When Cambodians scam foreigners, foreigners think what the scammer is doing is wrong. Many Cambodians think the scammer is clever and the foreigner is stupid for falling for the scam. There are large numbers of Cambodians who know what he is doing, and just go along with it. In some situations they work together.

Stay in Cambodia, and you will come across many more scammers. I could give many examples. For example, you will meet some people with disabilities, and others who fake having disabilities going around asking for money. There are fake monks who ask foreigners for money. Some NGOs use dishonest methods to raise money. In Siem Reap you cant hire a motorbike, so you have to pay someone to take you everywhere, and they can charge you high prices. Then the police often stop people just so they can get money. When you report a crime to the police, you have to pay the police, and they often don't do anything about it. There are fake US dollars being printed, and some people get fake money from an ATM when they withdraw. Then there are relationships where the foreign husband loves his Cambodian girlfriend or wife, and the Cambodian woman is in it just to get money. The list could go on and on. There are so many scams, you cant stop them all. If I listed a thousand, I would not cover them all. Welcome to Scambodia.

Many Cambodians are racist. They are happy when other Cambodians scam foreigners. But they are not happy if foreigners do something bad to Cambodians. For example: If you are involved in an accident, the foreigner is always in the wrong, and has to pay.

Some people can be so 'clever' even you will probably fall for a scam some time. Sometimes because there is only a small amount of money involved, and you give them the benefit of the doubt. Some people can be so nice, and help you so much, when they tell you about a need for money, you believe them. What can make it so convincing is, another person comes along and confirms the story. You don't know they are working together to scam you. The most effective scammers are those you believe to be genuine.

So what do you do? First you stay smart, and avoid giving money to scammers. Then you can warn others, so they can avoid the scams. Then on this forum, expect some people to give you a hard time for telling the truth.

If you want one to take on, take on the fake US dollars. People should never get fake money from an ATM. I believe this should get so much media attention they are forced to do something about it.

Do you think Cambodia has a higher percentage of racism than the 12% of Australians that admit being racist?

Do you think that there are more scammers in Cambodia than in Australia?
https://www.smh.com.au/money/super-and- ... 532qb.html

Do you think that you are one of the 12% self-identified racists in Australia?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Return of the Flame Wars

CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:08 am
CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:21 am
Arget wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:01 am
CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:11 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:56 am What is so special about this scammer? Why the reward?

We have so many of them in Cambodia, Scammer Steve, the milk scam, the Phillipino Card games, the kid beggars rented out by parents to support gambling habits, the Chinese fake monks, etc.

I would love to see them all shut down but wonder why this guy is drawing the most ire? Personally I want that Phillipino's taken out first as they are more dangerous (sometimes armed) and go after BIG money, second are the fake monks because I see it as disrespect for the Khmer monks and Buddhism.

The post to raise awareness makes sense, not so sure about the reward

This cheat is nothing special, but since he is on the road with the same scooter and the same license plate for 2 months, it should be easy to find. Furthermore, my post should also serve as prevention - because there are still many people who give without exactly thinking such people money. Why is that so hard to understand? This forum has a lot of members and external readers - so not just a few with stupid comments that believe they own this forum. And as for the reward: Yes, no problem - I can afford $ 250.00 at any time - only I am not so sure of some others in this forum with stupid comments...
So anyone who disagrees with you and your thoughts is stupid?

Have you considered that he is still operating in the same place, on the same motto, with the same MO because he is being protected and paying off someone? For all your "knowledge" and experience and contacts, surely this would have been an issue that you may have considered?

Move on :facepalm:
You may want to read a bit more thoroughly and then think and judge before commenting on it. Of course you can disagree and express this opinion here. But anyone who calls me a would-be policeman without even the slightest knowledge of me or knowing me, yes, this person is actually "stupid" for me and does not belong here this forum. Sometimes it helps that these people simply take their doctor prescribed medications without alcohol.

And as for this scammer: Yes, even criminals are sometimes "stupid" and make mistakes. He came to me with the same scam in the city area Siem Reap on the same scooter a second time, only that I could take good pictures this time and I already knew his scam. Once again - since it bothers many here that I was once a policeman -

1.) I know what I'm doing here or everywhere!
2.) No, I'm not interested in any recognition or anything else here - I have my awards and medals, which I have acquired in the service - all left in Germany
3.) Some comments here have nothing to do with the case or the subject and are against me and below the belt - because these people would certainly be too cowardly to tell me something like that in the face.
4.) Therefore, I am not sad that one or the other comment is deleted.
5.) Some members just spend too much time in this forum !!!
Sir, first of all, I have no problem with your desire to rid Cambodia of scammers. We all need a hobby of some kind and making the world a safer place is a noble hobby.

You are offended that some refer to you as a "would-be policeman". I believe you also admit you were once a policeman. You currently are not a policeman, regardless of how many awards you received in Germany and you think "would_be policeman" is apt.

You are angered that someone who does not know you personally judges you and yet you suggest that same person ( and you don t know them) abuses drugs and or alcohol. I believe this is called hypocrisy even in Germany and even in the police profession.

Often cops are not well received in the general population and tend to have circles of friends that are cops. Perhaps it is the holier than though attitude many seem to display. Perhaps it is many seem to not clock off at the end of a shift and continue to practice their craft after hours or after retirement. I know in my home country cops tend to live in certain areas, drink in certain bars and socialize with each other. I believe this only furthers them against us attitude many displays. As a highly decorated and commended police officer in Germany, I am sure this feeling of ostracization is not new to you.

I am not sure why you feel posters are cowardly because they make comments about you and not to your face. Firstly as a forum on the internet, it would be impossible for the comment to be made face to face and secondly unless you are intending to physically harm someone for their opinion, why would anyone fear giving it?

Many posts on all topics are frivolous, some posters lack the mental ability to make what I consider to be interesting or relevant posts. There is no IQ test to become a poster on this forum, it is not a Mensa only forum and as in life, in general, we all have different opinions. No doubt when you were a police officer you dealt with people that lacked your moral courage, selflessness or general intelligence. I hope you treated them with greater respect than you have these posters. If not, perhaps that is why you find many people are reticent to engage socially with cops.

Finally, as you have made 1/3 of the posts on this topic, I find it odd that you feel some posters spend too much time on the forum. Again I believe this is called hypocrisy.

Good luck on your hunt for this scammer. Your offer of a reward paid from your pocket shows your true desire to end this crime spree. Please, do not t take it personally that not many on the forum want to join your posse. I am a retired gynecologist and have a hard time leaving my professional life behind me as well now that I am no longer practicing. Like you, I would like to keep my hand in it for old time's sake.
Thank's and shure, I have no problem with your post - but not in all part you're 100 % right. No problem. The respect comes with the comments and yes - I shot over the top, but sometimes I think that some peoples write comments with drugs or alcoholic or an combination with all. :) And now I understand some positions, but why should we let such a professional criminal go? Just because he is not a felon?

This forum offers a great platform and community and yes, many Cambodians read it too. If the foreigners here would move more together, instead of just closing their eyes and living their own lives, you could move more. Above all, foreigners would react more sensitively to such persons and Cambodians could not be so sure that they will get away without penalty. Furthermore, I would also hunt foreign criminals if I gain knowledge of such cases, even if I am then called here as a traitor.

Incidentally, I have hobbies, I collect and handle coins and earn quite well and collect snakes, which I find in endangered places and then exposing other place again, which is quite complicated in Cambodia. So I am aware that I am a private person here in Cambodia and only a retired civil servant. What I mean by my criticism of some posts when I read that a Chinese was killed in Sihanoville and that then with "Chop Suey" commented or similar disrespectful remarks from just such stupid people who have never seen a dead person who was actually murdered and hardly recognizable as such.

Nevertheless, thanks for your comment, this makes sense and has at least level.
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

explorer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am When Cambodians scam foreigners, foreigners think what the scammer is doing is wrong. Many Cambodians think the scammer is clever and the foreigner is stupid for falling for the scam. There are large numbers of Cambodians who know what he is doing, and just go along with it. In some situations they work together.

You're right in many parts of our comment and I knowing a lot of this cases, of course not all. But yes, you're right - all foreigners must look exactly and from all sides before done somethinks.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Mehhh - Scammers - Meet your maker....

Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Seems this thread has gone a bit awry.

If anyone is interested in Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap, you can contact the OP.

OP, if you make anymore threats to members via PM, you will get banned. (Note, you might still get banned for sending threatening PMs).

Thread locked.
Locked Previous topicNext topic