rights to see my kid

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: rights to see my kid

Post by IraHayes »

Brody wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:24 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:08 am
explorer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:41 am What I would do:

I would say, I would like to help with money for food and education, etc. But if you don't let me see my child, why should I give money? Then when she wants money, it is conditional on you spending time with the child.
Your suggestion seems to be based upon the belief Cambodians will do anything for money.

What if she has already found a man who is supporting her and the child? Does she have any grounds for not allowing visitation? Doesn t a father have an obligation to feed and clothe his child regardless if he sees the child or not?
Before you derail this sensitive thread with the typical endless semantic back and forth betwixt you and explorer....

....do you have any constructive thoughts for the OP? Thanks pal. :thumb:
Yeah... beware of taking advice from those who don't even practice that advice.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Brody wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:24 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:08 am
explorer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:41 am What I would do:

I would say, I would like to help with money for food and education, etc. But if you don't let me see my child, why should I give money? Then when she wants money, it is conditional on you spending time with the child.
Your suggestion seems to be based upon the belief Cambodians will do anything for money.

What if she has already found a man who is supporting her and the child? Does she have any grounds for not allowing visitation? Doesn t a father have an obligation to feed and clothe his child regardless if he sees the child or not?
Before you derail this sensitive thread with the typical endless semantic back and forth betwixt you and explorer....

....do you have any constructive thoughts for the OP? Thanks pal. :thumb:
ya, I would see a lawyer for legal advice, a doctor if I needed medical advice and a dentist if I have a sore tooth. I think that using money as a threat or intimidation to have access to a child is as offensive as withholding access to a child for no reason. Personally I think posting this seeking advice on a fourm will not make a bit of difference in the outcome but makes to poster feel better by getting it off his chest.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

I think there's a regular poster here named Alexandra who could offer invaluable advice on this topic.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

@engexpat

You have rights bro.

You must go and see the Commune Chief at the village where your child is registered first and she will be summoned to sign an agreement along with you regarding custody, access and monies.

This is the first step and then it's not just your word against hers of who said what where and when. It is formally documented.

I will not lead you astray with false shit.

After that - if it doesn't work out the Chief will tell you what to do and where to go next.

Generally it is 2 strikes of either party breaking the agreement before the Chief will report to a higher authority.

Article 74:
The divorcing father or mother must support, take care of, bring up and provide their children money for the
children's education and schooling as much as they can.

Article 75:
A party who does not receive custody of the children has the right to visit his or her children.
The party who is entitled to receive custody of the children must make it easy for the other party to come to visit
the children.
The party who does not receive custody of the children has the right to file a complaint at any
time with the People's Court to revoke the other party's right to custody of the children if the children's interests
is violated.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Bedazzler! wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:09 am I think there's a regular poster here named Alexandra who could offer invaluable advice on this topic.
I think you're on the wrong website sir, she posts on the other one
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I recommend: Try to work it out on a friendly basis between you and her before you resort to legal avenues. If you can come to a happy arrangement between yourselves, it will be much better.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

engexpat - As the natural father of a child born of a Cambodian mother and and in Cambodia and so recorded on the child's Cambodian birth certificate, you have full access to the Cambodian court system, should it become necessary, seeking access to and, indeed, shared custody of your child.

I trust that you also registered the birth of your child at the embassy of your own nationality, which not stated, so as to give this child other options later is life such as residence, study or working rights or travel to your country of nationality? If not do so without further delay.

There is little point is seeking legal information on a forum such as this. You need good practical legal advice based four square on the facts of your own situation. Go and get sound legal advice and keep all of your options open.

As has been said many times and to mix metaphors, speak softly but keep your legal options fully available, But first, you need to know exactly within Cambodian law just what those options are. As well as your legal obligations to support the child until 18 years of age.

Good luck.

OML
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:17 pm I recommend: Try to work it out on a friendly basis between you and her before you resort to legal avenues. If you can come to a happy arrangement between yourselves, it will be much better.

Yea, Where are all the fixers when you need them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Duncan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm
explorer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:17 pm I recommend: Try to work it out on a friendly basis between you and her before you resort to legal avenues. If you can come to a happy arrangement between yourselves, it will be much better.

Yea, Where are all the fixers when you need them.
Yea , mine little guy is not registered. Mother is illiterate and other deficiencies , but could shirley negotiate a deal with a fixer , is why i wanted my 2¢ in case anybody knows a fixer , I just checked into a spell caster but didn’t want to part with $450 for the initial “ seed “ witch shirley woulda snowballed from there . A hitman would probly end up cheaper , but that’s illegal , or unlawful . A positive win win is best for all . And be fair . Easier said than done .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

engexpat wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am hi im wondering if anyone has had the same situation and what rights do i have? i have a new born child with a khmer girl we have split and she refuses to let me see my kid im on both birth certificates and also i have both would i be able to do anything legally to see my child?
Are u married?
If she Wont allow you, a short term fix is offer $$$
Long term ...lawyer...family court.
Good luck...
I did both..and got sole custody.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic