Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Assisting to search for a criminal in Siem Reap

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

explorer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:54 pm
CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:16 pm To all tourists and permanently resident in Siem Reap foreigners: I search together with the competent authorities - officially - an 35-40 year-old cheater, who is probably a Cambodian citizen. He speaks specifically foreigners in good English spoken language, mostly of Western descent and tells that he teaches poor, destitute children as a teacher of English and Japanese.

He then shows some older pictures and documents that do not really prove his story credibly. Important details are missing! He can not answer specific questions about the details, such as the location, so the address of the school, etc.! He had a list of about 60 victims who gave him money, a total of about 800-1000 USD in the last 2 months. Numerous names from Europe and Australia with signatures.
He may be a scammer. But:

I suggest, tell him you want to visit the school, and meet the students. If you feel safe, you can do it. If not ask someone else, or go as a group. If he does not teach at all, he cant show you where he teaches. You might get a surprise. He may take you to see his school and students. Then report back what you find out.

There have been a lot of scams like this in Cambodia. But they don't get much money if they dont actually do it. So they rent a house, and start a school in the house. Then they can take potential donors to see the school, and they get more money. Eventually they may get enough money to build a classroom. They get even more money. They eventually get big enough to get backpackers to do fundraising for them. Some are now large organizations. They actually do what they say they are doing, so people give. But not all of the money goes to the school. A lot goes in their own pocket. People continue supporting them, but they don't know where all of the money goes.

There is one place I can think of where they do a lot of good. A lot of students are getting a better education as a result of what they are doing. They get a lot of volunteers. But the owner is getting rich in the process, while the volunteers work for nothing, and even give donations.

Do you give donations? Do you support them?

Is it really a scam if they do what they say they are doing, but some of the money goes into their own pocket?
Of course there are differences, but I can exclude 100% - that the accused actually teaches poor children in a school. The whole case has been going on since the end of August, as this person came to me in August and still pretended to be a monk who teaches impoverished, poor children in English and Japanese as a teacher. The documents carried by him contain no letterhead, address, name or other identifying features. In August, he showed me that he is at a school, just one street away, but there is no school!

Yesterday then - stupid - that he came to me again, it was then again a school very close, just in a very different place. I asked him for the address or a name - and honestly, you do not have to be a police officer to realize that this is a cheater. Otherwise he would not have fled so fast when I took pictures, not only from the license plate. The list of more than 60 names are certainly real people who have given him money and registered with the appropriate amount. He is very trustworthy and believable over - professional stop.

The amount of $ 800.00 in the last 2 months I find very high, but I had enough time to skip the amounts in the list. Anyway, the police are taking care of the case and maybe I can warn other foreigners and tourists here. In Germany there is the so-called "Grandchildtrick", which is also called by the police. Everyone knows him - and yet many fall for this fraud. I am glad if this person is arrested and if the police does not care about it - well, I have done my duty and seen how some people react here and what some people comment here.

In the future, I know what I'm doing and what is not here in this forum !!!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

:thumb: Good work @CambodiaGerman1
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm Cleaned up some posts. On topic please. OP is helping to warn others of similar scams.
Just great. So we have an anonymous wannabe policeman, using a nickname, posting personal details about a perceived scammer.

And any criticism is removed.

Maybe give it another and some discussion in the mods forum.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

What is so special about this scammer? Why the reward?

We have so many of them in Cambodia, Scammer Steve, the milk scam, the Phillipino Card games, the kid beggars rented out by parents to support gambling habits, the Chinese fake monks, etc.

I would love to see them all shut down but wonder why this guy is drawing the most ire? Personally I want that Phillipino's taken out first as they are more dangerous (sometimes armed) and go after BIG money, second are the fake monks because I see it as disrespect for the Khmer monks and Buddhism.

The post to raise awareness makes sense, not so sure about the reward
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:21 am
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm Cleaned up some posts. On topic please. OP is helping to warn others of similar scams.
Just great. So we have an anonymous wannabe policeman, using a nickname, posting personal details about a perceived scammer.

And any criticism is removed.

Maybe give it another and some discussion in the mods forum.
My sincere apology! Really, I'm sorry. I did not know that they were one of the wannabe owners of this forum and serious professions probably scared them? Then they should be able to live happily in Cambodia and I do not need to know about them anymore. Incidentally, as a grown man I can live and deal with criticism well, but they can only criticize anonymously without knowing a person whose motives and backgrounds! All respect and congratulations - a Kammekor just...
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:56 am What is so special about this scammer? Why the reward?

We have so many of them in Cambodia, Scammer Steve, the milk scam, the Phillipino Card games, the kid beggars rented out by parents to support gambling habits, the Chinese fake monks, etc.

I would love to see them all shut down but wonder why this guy is drawing the most ire? Personally I want that Phillipino's taken out first as they are more dangerous (sometimes armed) and go after BIG money, second are the fake monks because I see it as disrespect for the Khmer monks and Buddhism.

This cheat is nothing special, but since he is on the road with the same scooter and the same license plate for 2 months, it should be easy to find. Furthermore, my post should also serve as prevention - because there are still many people who give without exactly thinking such people money. Why is that so hard to understand? This forum has a lot of members and external readers - so not just a few with stupid comments that believe they own this forum. And as for the reward: Yes, no problem - I can afford $ 250.00 at any time - only I am not so sure of some others in this forum with stupid comments...
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:11 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:56 am What is so special about this scammer? Why the reward?

This cheat is nothing special, but since he is on the road with the same scooter and the same license plate for 2 months, it should be easy to find. Furthermore, my post should also serve as prevention - because there are still many people who give without exactly thinking such people money. Why is that so hard to understand? This forum has a lot of members and external readers - so not just a few with stupid comments that believe they own this forum. And as for the reward: Yes, no problem - I can afford $ 250.00 at any time - only I am not so sure of some others in this forum with stupid comments...
Not sure about the other comments as I may have missed some and not debating if you can afford it, I was just wondering because I think we have much worse scammers who don't get rewards placed on their heads. Makes this seem "above and beyond"

Not that I care much to defend the scammer, just wondered if he did something worse I missed.

Anyway, I would rather a thread and reward for a scammer than no thread at all. :beer3: :bow: Carry on! :good:
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

So anyone who disagrees with you and your thoughts is stupid?

Have you considered that he is still operating in the same place, on the same motto, with the same MO because he is being protected and paying off someone? For all your "knowledge" and experience and contacts, surely this would have been an issue that you may have considered?

Move on :facepalm:
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Arget wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:01 am

So anyone who disagrees with you and your thoughts is stupid?

Have you considered that he is still operating in the same place, on the same motto, with the same MO because he is being protected and paying off someone? For all your "knowledge" and experience and contacts, surely this would have been an issue that you may have considered?

Move on :facepalm:
You may want to read a bit more thoroughly and then think and judge before commenting on it. Of course you can disagree and express this opinion here. But anyone who calls me a would-be policeman without even the slightest knowledge of me or knowing me, yes, this person is actually "stupid" for me and does not belong here this forum. Sometimes it helps that these people simply take their doctor prescribed medications without alcohol.

And as for this scammer: Yes, even criminals are sometimes "stupid" and make mistakes. He came to me with the same scam in the city area Siem Reap on the same scooter a second time, only that I could take good pictures this time and I already knew his scam. Once again - since it bothers many here that I was once a policeman -

1.) I know what I'm doing here or everywhere!
2.) No, I'm not interested in any recognition or anything else here - I have my awards and medals, which I have acquired in the service - all left in Germany
3.) Some comments here have nothing to do with the case or the subject and are against me and below the belt - because these people would certainly be too cowardly to tell me something like that in the face.
4.) Therefore, I am not sad that one or the other comment is deleted.
5.) Some members just spend too much time in this forum !!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I want to see that scammer called God shut down first. He has been ripping off people for far too long .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Locked Previous topicNext topic