Essex: 39 bodies found in truck

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Essex: 39 bodies found in truck

Post by Arget »

It beggars belief that anyone would wish to leave China.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Arget wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm
hiway5 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:51 pm BEIJING: Britain and other European countries must accept some responsibility for the deaths of 39 people, believed to be Chinese nationals, found dead in a refrigerated truck near London, the state-backed Global Times said on Friday (Oct 25).
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... y-12033646
The article goes on

"At the moment it was impossible to say how much responsibility the dead should bear for the tragedy, the widely-read Chinese newspaper said in an editorial.

"But such a serious humanitarian disaster has occurred under the eyes of the British and Europeans," it said. "It is clear that Britain and relevant European countries have not fulfilled their responsibility to protect these people from such a death."

Even if found to have been smuggled into the country, the victims' death was not their fault, added the paper, which is published by the ruling Communist Party's official People's Daily.

"We hope that Britain and European countries will put into effect their various commitments to human rights and make due efforts for Chinese people to be free from abuse and sudden death."

Pot ......kettle
The human rights in the UK are so bad that people will chance travelling half way round the world, passing through multiple countries on the way (never any intention of staying in any of them obviously) to try and sneak (at great risk of personal harm) into the UK.
Yet China believes that their own human rights are in such good shape that they can blame the UK for Chinese nationals fleeing China, and they have the audacity to lecture Britain on human rights. If Britains human rights are so terrible, how come it appears that half the worlds population wants to live there.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am
angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 pm Heartbreaking, although I'm sure there will be some sick xenophobes, as in the states at the border, who will celebrate the deaths of these immigrants whose only crime was trying to find a better life. 38 adults and 1 teenager it says with an Northern Irishman arrested for murder. RIP to all
The driver called the cops and ambulance himself.

Seems he's an innocent party also - he was released yesterday despite the tabloid reports.
As of 30 minutes ago the driver was still under arrest and the police obtained extra time to question him
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Soriya wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am
angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 pm Heartbreaking, although I'm sure there will be some sick xenophobes, as in the states at the border, who will celebrate the deaths of these immigrants whose only crime was trying to find a better life. 38 adults and 1 teenager it says with an Northern Irishman arrested for murder. RIP to all
The driver called the cops and ambulance himself.

Seems he's an innocent party also - he was released yesterday despite the tabloid reports.
As of 30 minutes ago the driver was still under arrest and the police obtained extra time to question him
Yes, you're correct. I saw a few articles to the contrary and some social media stuff that had me thinking otherwise.

Also, speculation mounting that at least some may be Vietnamese, not all Chinese as reported earlier.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

The BBC knows of three Vietnamese people whose relatives are worried they may have been in the trailer.

Pham Thi Tra My, 26, has not been heard from since she sent urgent messages on Tuesday saying she could not breathe.

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and the lorry driver remains in custody on suspicion of murder.

Ms Tra My's brother, Pham Ngoc Tuan, says she had paid £30,000 to people smugglers and her last-known location had been Belgium.

Ms Tra My's family have shared the last text messages she sent to her parents.

They read: "I am really, really sorry, Mum and Dad, my trip to a foreign land has failed," she wrote.

"I am dying, I can't breathe. I love you very much Mum and Dad. I am sorry, Mother."

Ms Tra My's brother told the BBC her journey to the UK had begun on 3 October. She had told the family not to contact her because "the organisers" did not allow her to receive calls.

"She flew to China and stayed there for a couple days, then left for France," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news

Tragic.. Heartfelt condolences to all.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The message, translated into English by a family acquaintance, was received at 4.28am on Wednesday morning in Vietnam, a screenshot shows. This would have been 10.28pm UK time, when the trailer carrying the victims would have been in transit – and just four hours before the ambulance was called and the bodies were discovered.

In messages from an account nicknamed ‘daughter’, Pham wrote: “I’m sorry Mum. My journey abroad hasn’t succeeded. Mum, I love you so much! I’m dying because I can’t breathe ... I’m from Nghen, Can Loc, Ha Tinh, Vietnam ... I am sorry, Mum.” One message has been blanked out because it mentioned the family’s address.

The screenshot also shows that Pham has not accessed the account since Wednesday.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ry-victims
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm wondering WTF the idea was in putting all those people in a -25° container/trailer? I understand they were trying to sneak in but I'm wondering what was going on in there? Like how do you hide that many people anyway? It sounds from the messages that they suffocated rather than froze. Grim stuff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:00 pm I'm wondering WTF the idea was in putting all those people in a -25° container/trailer? I understand they were trying to sneak in but I'm wondering what was going on in there? Like how do you hide that many people anyway? It sounds from the messages that they suffocated rather than froze. Grim stuff.
Maybe the traffickers figure that nobody would ever suspect that a person or persons could be concealed in a freezer unit. Perhaps the large number of people concealed was an attempt to make the journey more bearable due to the body heat they give off, on the other hand, the traffickers might just think “may as well be hung for a sheep instead of a lamb and pack them in tight. I’ve a feeling you’re correct regarding suffocation being the cause of death. Tragic.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

About the driver arrested on suspicion of murder...

According to his statement - he opened the container 'to get some paperwork'

Well..

1) Generally only the consignee opens a sealed unit (it is sealed to pass through customs)
2) Who stores paperwork inside a refrigerated container?
3) Why do it at the side of the road on an industrial estate?

No wonder he is being questioned....

The other two people arrested in the UK allegedly sold the trailer and cab a year ago to a Irish company.

About the refrigeration unit - the temperature is normally -5c, so if the people inside kept away from the walls the Thermal Imagers used to detect people inside at customs would not pick them up.

When the tractor unit is hooked up and the refrigeration is turned on the temperature goes down to -25c - impossible to survive

Either way - they are airtight units so it was a death sentence the moment they were loaded in there.

I'm happy it's a full inquiry and the people responsible will be brought to Justice.

RIP
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mishmash wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:14 am About the driver arrested on suspicion of murder...

According to his statement - he opened the container 'to get some paperwork'

Well..

1) Generally only the consignee opens a sealed unit (it is sealed to pass through customs)
2) Who stores paperwork inside a refrigerated container?
3) Why do it at the side of the road on an industrial estate?

No wonder he is being questioned....

The other two people arrested in the UK allegedly sold the trailer and cab a year ago to a Irish company.

About the refrigeration unit - the temperature is normally -5c, so if the people inside kept away from the walls the Thermal Imagers used to detect people inside at customs would not pick them up.

When the tractor unit is hooked up and the refrigeration is turned on the temperature goes down to -25c - impossible to survive

Either way - they are airtight units so it was a death sentence the moment they were loaded in there.

I'm happy it's a full inquiry and the people responsible will be brought to Justice.

RIP
Has it been reported that the refrigeration unit was on.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic