Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Mishmash »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:46 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:22 pm You flower smelling hippy you :beer3:
grammar fail?
But friendship pass :beer3:

It's a colloquialism bro... "You xxxx you" means I am 'taking the mickey' in a friendly way in order to express support and foster goodwill with the person I am speaking to.

It is hard to put across in words as it's tonal - but any native speaker will get the gist. :beer2:
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:54 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:46 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:22 pm You flower smelling hippy you :beer3:
grammar fail?
But friendship pass :beer3:

It's a colloquialism bro... "You xxxx you" means I am 'taking the mickey' in a friendly way in order to express support and foster goodwill with the person I am speaking to.

It is hard to put across in words as it's tonal - but any native speaker will get the gist. :beer2:
:thumb:
lol
so "you flower-smelling hippie", not "you flower, smelling hippie"

monstra mihi bona!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 pm
:thumb:
lol
so "you flower-smelling hippie", not "you flower, smelling hippie"
Ahhh I get it dude.... :hattip: but i did not put a comma - maybe clean your screen or a dead pixel :beer3:

I copied the poster - so we are stuck with is he smelling the flowers or does he smell of flowers :D

flower-smelling would clear it up

at least it wasn't foul smelling hippy (hippie) :beer3:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It is sad that some people think to be happy it is necessary to avoid the truth, and only say good things about Cambodia.

You can meet a lot of very nice people in Cambodia, and have a good time.

But the truth is, there is also a lot of real problems in Cambodia.
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 pm many complaints are real; asinine driving, disorganization, laziness, lack of foresight, rubbish, selfishness, lack of empathy, corruption, nepotism, etc, etc
I would like to encourage people to be honest about both the good and the bad.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 pm I would like to encourage people to be honest about both the good and the bad.
Well to be honest it's always been good
for me, but then I'd lived in plenty of
worse places before here and got to
like them. It's amusing to see
how people's experiences
don't exactly meet
their expectations.
I get to meet fantastic people
all the time, people who are doing
useful things for the country
and not just whining.
Everyone complains a
bit, of course nobody
is going to be too happy
when they get a powercut for hours or whatever.
There's a big jump between petty stuff like that
and saying not to ever trust the locals. Or saying
that most tuk-tuk drivers are thieves working in
collusion with the
police. I don't get
this colonial
mindset where
you think that
everything here should
conform to your expectations. It's terribly arrogant and
it's no wonder people find it difficult to trust anyone when
they've already gone out with this warped
mindset. Good
luck to all those
people though,
don't let the
door slap
you
on
the
way
out
!

Last edited by John Bingham on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

stupid-barang wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 pm
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:25 pm
stupid-barang wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:12 pm The truth is that Cambodia is a shithole, why am I here (I can see you asking that in your head), well thats a discussion for another time, but I won't be here for that much longer. Khmer people can not be trusted, as a foreigner, if you ever have a problem with a Khmer, you will lose, no doubts about it. Things can be different if you want to pay. If a Khmer wants to fuck you, they definitely will (speaking from experience). If anyone tells you otherwise, they are either naive or just stupid or perhaps one of those flower smelling hippies that think everything is gravy b/c someone smiles in their face; a yes man/woman.

I lived in a major city here, for $500 per month, that included a furnished apartment in a new building with aircon, food, booze, and the occasional whore. Once I lived in Toul Tom Pong for $170. (rent only), and the apartment was huge, corner unit, I miss that place to the day. If I were you, I would stay far away from here, that is unless you have no problem with giving up your rights. Speaking freely about the government or other sensitive topics can land you in jail.

It was mentioned that some schools were promising you $1400 a month, well, the schools promise a lot of things, but when push comes to shove, it's all bullshit. When I first came here I worked for an international school, but after a few months, I started a business and now work for myself. Why? I won't go into the inherent racism b/c I noticed that you mentiond yourself as 'white' in one of your posts, thinking this to be a positive attribute. So I am under the assumption that you, along with many others here in KH, pride yourself on being white, superior and make this known to set yourself apart from the 'rest', it's funny, mainly for those that have studied psychology, it screams inferiority complex.

Not a grumpy person, this is the reality.
Actually I am Mexican. Just light skinned. The reason I mentioned white since you are completely taking that comment out of context is because a fellow teacher mentioned that the private education system can charge a parent more for tuition when they have white faces teaching their children. That's a harsh reality for sure but it was mentioned strictly to convey a point not for superiority. Now that we are on the subject i have actually taken and passed a couple college level psychology courses what college did you study at I'm curious where you studied.
Mexican, oooh. Yeah you can throw $1400 or $2000 a month right out the window. Since it was mentioned, you must identify as white, or else it would not have been mentioned.
You are a piece of work 😂
Good luck with your struggles my friend 🙏🏼
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He doesn't know what he's talking about either, whatever prejudices Cambodians might have don't extend that far. I've known a few Mexicans here and they've always been great, dynamic people.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 pm It is sad that some people think to be happy it is necessary to avoid the truth, and only say good things about Cambodia.

You can meet a lot of very nice people in Cambodia, and have a good time.

But the truth is, there is also a lot of real problems in Cambodia.
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 pm many complaints are real; asinine driving, disorganization, laziness, lack of foresight, rubbish, selfishness, lack of empathy, corruption, nepotism, etc, etc
I would like to encourage people to be honest about both the good and the bad.
And that's by 8am.... still they are vastly outweighed by the good things...
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

Thanks to everyone that has commented regardless of your opinion or outlook. I feel I have learned everything I could possibly learn from this type of forum post/topic. I already bought my ticket last month when I earned my TEFL so there is no turning back for me I have invested too much time studying teaching and taking my exams and passing them. It would be counter productive to turn and run now after about 6 months of preparation. I'm sorry that some people are having such a bad time and i hope you find a way to make it better for yourselves. looking forward to meeting people out there with a positive outlook please feel free to PM me or talk via whatsapp. i wont be reading or replying here further.

thanks again.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's plain to sort the wheat from the chaff bro.

You know who to keep in touch with!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic