Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm If he was a troll it was on the next level of trolling. Most trolls we've had are absolute morons who can barely form a coherent thought or write a sentence.
Perhaps he was educated at Eton before being expelled for using a sharpie on the Gutenberg Bible. Close your eyes and see if you can tell the difference between Raffles and the Lux. One has towels are thick, the other you can see through. The ATM card didn t work, does he get total strangers to use it in America for him? Secrets, the cousin who is a tuk tuk driver.? Boy, that's a lot of shitty coincidences all at once. I don t buy any of it.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm If he was a troll it was on the next level of trolling. Most trolls we've had are absolute morons who can barely form a coherent thought or write a sentence.
Perhaps he was educated at Eton before being expelled for using a sharpie on the Gutenberg Bible. Close your eyes and see if you can tell the difference between Raffles and the Lux. One has towels are thick, the other you can see through. The ATM card didn t work, does he get total strangers to use it in America for him? Secrets, the cousin who is a tuk tuk driver.? Boy, that's a lot of shitty coincidences all at once. I don t buy any of it.
I dunno about US style ATM's but I guess they make have spoken instructions or he has memorized the sequences.

Here for example - how would a partially sighted person see the first screen which asks for English or Khmer and then the next screen which has a multitude of options.

Close your eyes and try it...

Troll?? I agree with JB - it's possible but unlikely. I'm sticking with the three options I posted earlier. I dun have access to the IP's but I guess admin does and can see the US IP and the Khmer IP....

Lux Hotel - I met a lady from the UK there once who was visiting her son and his family - the room was more like an apartment with a kitchen and everything - at least I think it was the Lux. There may be other styles..

BTW My niece is looking for a husband. Does she know any of the Riverside? No... She would be grounded.

I have met some nice ladies too in a professional capacity outside work with a more worldly outlook - they do know some good bars but would never ever go to a hostess bar.

I agree with most people here - the coincidences are stacked...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 pm
I have met some nice ladies too in a professional capacity outside work with a more worldly outlook - they do know some good bars but would never ever go to a hostess bar.

Exactly, even nice ladies who work in lower capacities would never go into a hostess bar. They might go to a sky bar, an upscale restaurant or even a beer garden but would never let themselves be seen in a seedy establishment.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

it is the classic troll M/O. Elicit sympathy, ask for advice, share personal details and have just enough factual superfluous information to make it real. Why give the names of the Lux and Secrets? His trusted dog Monty? Everyone was falling over themselves to help, even if he only followed explorer's advice and no one else's, an ATM card in a strangers hand that suddenly is invalid would set off alarm bells. Can t trust a 5-star hotel so let's go to a fleabag hotel cuz it's safer? The cousin that is a tuk-tuk driver is a cliche as can be, the only better one would be his gf only was a cashier at a hostess club. Maybe it's because I am old and jaded but unless someone finds rin tin tin with cement shoes and a white cane wrapped around its neck at the bottom of the Mekong off Koh Dach, my bet is that salty seawolf is having a laugh
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 pmI dunno about US style ATM's but I guess they make have spoken instructions or he has memorized the sequences.
Most western ATM's have audio jacks for blind people so they can plug headphones in and it reads the screen to them. They also have braille on the keys.

I don't think this dude is a troll but you could easily just go into Secrets or Danny K's and ask the girls if they've seen your blind friend around if you want to find out. :unknown:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:33 pm
Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 pm

Exactly, even nice ladies who work in lower capacities would never go into a hostess bar. They might go to a sky bar, an upscale restaurant or even a beer garden but would never let themselves be seen in a seedy establishment.
Yeah - I'll climb down off the fence..

If one ever did invite me to go to a hostess bar, which hasn't happened in 10 years of going out 3 to 4 times a week - I think a raised eyebrow would not be out of order.

I do like the ladies in the seedy places - they have such fascinating tales and outlooks and are professional at making a man feel good, but GF or Wife material - save that for the movies, not real life.

At the most it's an entertaining diversion.

More than that - It's never a pretty ending.

I guess our resident fortune teller IraHayes was right..
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Bubble T wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:44 pm you could easily just go into Secrets or Danny K's and ask the girls if they've seen your blind friend around if you want to find out. :unknown:
It's a great excuse to visit - well done that man!!! you genius you :beer1:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bubble T wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:44 pm I don't think this dude is a troll but you could easily just go into Secrets or Danny K's and ask the girls if they've seen your blind friend around if you want to find out. :unknown:
Good idea, unfortunately my schedule is pretty busy and I will have to ask one of the junior members here to go and complete this task. They should wear a light brown mac, like Columbo, and very dark glasses. Stumble around a bit with a stick, and then ring the bell. Ask them if they have seen your blind buddy Dave. You should be able to get to the bottom of this soon enough. In return I will give your business a shout out on my Instagram account that has loads of followers.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

In that case, the forum is attracting a better class of troll. Win-win ? :beer:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Just caught up with all David’s news. Seems obvious now to be an elaborate joke.
Well done to whoever it was.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic