Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

Hello everyone,

My name is James and I currently live and work in San Jose, California, United States. I work as a data center and fiber optics technician in the silicon valley. I build server rooms and data centers, structured cabling, fiber optics, phone lines, access control and other security aspects involved in network infrastructure. After a three month vacation all around Asia at the beginning of this year I fell in love with the south east Asian culture, people, and way of life. Upon returning home to California I couldn't help but feel out of place and very unhappy back working in the tech industry.

I did some research and decided to earn my TEFL certification in my spare time while working my normal gig with the intent to teach English abroad. Now I am moving to Phnom Penh, Cambodia in January 2020 and would like to meet other expats and native locals. I do not have much support or understanding from my family and friends in my new life direction, they cannot begin to comprehend why I would leave the silicon valley and a great career to live in a third world country teaching English for a fraction of my current salary. My area of California is very obsessed with material acquisition and job title, it very much defines your life success in the silicon valley. Point being is that I would really like to meet some supportive like minded people in Phnom Penh when I arrive. I have become very passionate about teaching in these last few months and want to contribute to the community through teaching English.

I have already set up some interviews with schools and am quite confident in finding work but if anyone has some tips or pointers in terms of schools looking for teachers I would be more than happy to hear about it. Also if there are any opportunities to use my current tech and network infrastructure skills as a side occupation I would be very interested in knowing if that can be utilized in Cambodia.

I guess in conclusion I just would like to introduce myself to everyone in the community and I am looking forward to chatting and meeting with you!

thanks!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by pissontheroof »

Here’s a start for you / this guy dave ..

Dave does cambodia , check him out .

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:22 am Hello everyone,

My name is James and I currently live and work in San Jose, California, United States. I work as a data center and fiber optics technician in the silicon valley. I build server rooms and data centers, structured cabling, fiber optics, phone lines, access control and other security aspects involved in network infrastructure. After a three month vacation all around Asia at the beginning of this year I fell in love with the south east Asian culture, people, and way of life. Upon returning home to California I couldn't help but feel out of place and very unhappy back working in the tech industry.

I did some research and decided to earn my TEFL certification in my spare time while working my normal gig with the intent to teach English abroad. Now I am moving to Phnom Penh, Cambodia in January 2020 and would like to meet other expats and native locals. I do not have much support or understanding from my family and friends in my new life direction, they cannot begin to comprehend why I would leave the silicon valley and a great career to live in a third world country teaching English for a fraction of my current salary. My area of California is very obsessed with material acquisition and job title, it very much defines your life success in the silicon valley. Point being is that I would really like to meet some supportive like minded people in Phnom Penh when I arrive. I have become very passionate about teaching in these last few months and want to contribute to the community through teaching English.

I have already set up some interviews with schools and am quite confident in finding work but if anyone has some tips or pointers in terms of schools looking for teachers I would be more than happy to hear about it. Also if there are any opportunities to use my current tech and network infrastructure skills as a side occupation I would be very interested in knowing if that can be utilized in Cambodia.

I guess in conclusion I just would like to introduce myself to everyone in the community and I am looking forward to chatting and meeting with you!

thanks!
Your story sounds similar to mine. My family couldnt understand why i gave up a lucrative job and life to live here. But i am the happiest i have ever been. I wish you well. Dont fall into the drinking day and night and grab a hooker all the time scenario and i think you will love it. You see to many people go down the wrong path. Have a back up plan and enjoy yourself.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

.The only advice I can give, but the longer you live here the more you will understand .
. .Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.

.Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
. .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

James,

I have lived in Cambodia almost 20 years. If you pm me, I will be happy to offer any advice or help that I can. However, my first piece of advice is...unless you have already made your fortune, or have family money...you are about to commit financial suicide. English teachers do not make much more than they did 15 years ago, and the costs in Cambodia are continuing to climb. After just a few years, your skill set and contacts in your industry will have withered away, and you will be stuck in a very menial existence. You won't even be contributing to Social Security while you are here...so after a few decades scraping by, you can look forward to being too poor to look after yourself when you get older. I have seen several expats die because they could not afford to get a medical condition checked out before it was too late.

You are nearly always better to make your money in your home country and spend it in Cambodia. If you had a transferable skill set...and maybe you do, then I would provide encouragement. I have seen someone come over as an English teacher, and become a CEO of a company within 5 years....but that is one out of several hundred if not thousands.

I continued my career in the U.S. while living in Cambodia half the year....and it was the best decision I ever made. I have many friends who put their head down and kept working until pension/retirement/wealth permitted them to not have to ever worry about working again, and every one of them is happy they made the right call.

I would strongly encourage you to step back, and make this important decision guided by your head and not your heart.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I would second what Lonestar wrote.

Don't think that your going to live well on $1000 a month. And don't think that everything you see as a tourist is how things are day to day in "real life" SE ASIA.

I"d also tell you to think about the parts of your current job/career that you enjoy. Will teaching (which you don't mention if you've ever done) provide the same interest, pride, dedication as your current career. If you think there is much "status seeking" where you currently are - you'll find just as much if not more here in Cambodia.

There is no safety net, life here without money is hard. Don't even think about this move unless you have a nice nest egg that you've already earned. If you have a few million to provide you with passive income then perhaps your in a position to take the leap - but otherwise I'd really consider the practicalities of what your planning.

Decent health care often means going to Thailand and paying cash. Do you intend to go back to the States for things like weddings, funerals, other life events with your family? Minimum $1200 a pop. Going to buy a car in Cambodia? Check out that 100+% import tax. Several hundred dollars a year for visas & work permits.... etc etc. The list of potential financial hits is very long.

Whatever you do I wish you luck. Unless your VERY unhappy with your career, I'd strongly urge you to understand all the financial impacts/risks your move will entail.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:22 am I fell in love with the south east Asian culture
what's her name?

monstra mihi bona!
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

TWY wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 am I would second what Lonestar wrote.

Don't think that your going to live well on $1000 a month. And don't think that everything you see as a tourist is how things are day to day in "real life" SE ASIA.

I"d also tell you to think about the parts of your current job/career that you enjoy. Will teaching (which you don't mention if you've ever done) provide the same interest, pride, dedication as your current career. If you think there is much "status seeking" where you currently are - you'll find just as much if not more here in Cambodia.

There is no safety net, life here without money is hard. Don't even think about this move unless you have a nice nest egg that you've already earned. If you have a few million to provide you with passive income then perhaps your in a position to take the leap - but otherwise I'd really consider the practicalities of what your planning.

Decent health care often means going to Thailand and paying cash. Do you intend to go back to the States for things like weddings, funerals, other life events with your family? Minimum $1200 a pop. Going to buy a car in Cambodia? Check out that 100+% import tax. Several hundred dollars a year for visas & work permits.... etc etc. The list of potential financial hits is very long.

Whatever you do I wish you luck. Unless your VERY unhappy with your career, I'd strongly urge you to understand all the financial impacts/risks your move will entail.
Some good view points and info here, but come on man, "a few million" as in USD? That's being a bit absurd. You absolutely want to have a decent nest egg but you don't need anywhere near that much.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Kid, you're in for the shock of your life. Phnom Penh is one of very few cities that makes Silicone Vallley seem civilised.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Try and work a deal to do 6 months on/off in USA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic