Retirement Residence

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Retirement Residence

Post by angkorjohn2 »

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 pm
Whit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm Cost $698 and $998 depending on the room, which is 4 star plus, with a seperate very exclusive property going for $2800 for large suites with gourmet chef and valet etc, which is 5 star plus
I think the price is going to exclude a lot of people.

You need to think what you need to do to get enough people to make the place financially viable. What will attract people to your place?

Are you promoting it in Canada?

How many rooms are there?
$700 for a nice safe apartment, pool, amenities, medical support plus 3 meals freshly prepared for you on-site, expensive? I dare say it is undervalued. all that for $23-$34 a day. He's already stated he isn't in for the 50cent cheap charlie sexpats. so it will keep the standards high.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Duncan wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:04 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:45 pm
Whit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm Cost $698 and $998 depending on the room, which is 4 star plus, with a seperate very exclusive property going for $2800 for large suites with gourmet chef and valet etc, which is 5 star plus

You need to think what you need to do to get enough people to make the place financially viable. What will attract people to your place?

Nursing home costs Australia
The Government has set the maximum daily fee amount at 85 percent of the annual single basic Age Pension. So for example, as at 20 March 2019 the single basic Age Pension is $843.60 per fortnight. 85 percent of this is $717.06 per fortnight or $51.21 per day as the maximum daily fee.

Across Canada, prices for retirement communities range from $1,500 to $6,500. According to CMHC 2012 report on senior housing costs in Canada, Ontario has the highest average rent at $2,699, while Quebec recorded the lowest average at $1,410.Feb 21, 2013

Genworth's Cost of Care Survey reveals that in the United States, a private room in a nursing home costs an average of $8,121 a month. For a semi-private room, the average cost is $7,148 a month. Various factors impact how much a nursing home stay costs including location, size, length of stay and services offered.

The cost of assisted living in the UK nationally averages $132 per day, $4,000 per month and $48,000 annually. With the average annual costs of nursing home care being between $89,297 – $100,375 it appears that assisted living typically averages about half of the cost of assisted living options.

I think you are priced well and have a product that will be well received. There will always be someone who wants the Raffles experience but is only willing to pay hostel prices. You can t please everyone and some people are never pleased. At prices of 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost for the same care in Canad, I can t imagine anyone wanting to be shut in at -30c if they are healthy enough to travel and still have a twinkle in their eye. Good Luck

I note that you are quoting in A $ ,, then are quoting in USA $ ,,, then quoting in UK ????
sorry, I just googled average nursing home costs by country, yes you are right I imagine that is a mix of US, CDN and Cdn dollars.
1686 ASD is 1156 USD, That would leave you with between 150 USD and 450 USD a month spending money. Or in Australian terms 150 to 450 cans of beers a month if you drink Angkor and buy at a convenience store.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:08 pm

$700 for a nice safe apartment, pool, amenities, medical support plus 3 meals freshly prepared for you on-site, expensive? I dare say it is undervalued. all that for $23-$34 a day. He's already stated he isn't in for the 50cent cheap charlie sexpats. so it will keep the standards high.
I agree, sound almost to cheap, (3 good meals/day @ min $12./..$360/month)

BUT what type of old men want to retire in Siem rep? Fuck all to do but drink :beer3:
Hang aorund the pool with the tourists?

Anyway, best of luck, I worked with a group here in Phuket back in the early 90's, an we figured for what your providing, (but with kitchenettes), 24 /7 health care ( Filipino nurses) and with dr on duty, it would be around $1,000/month and that was over 25 years ago...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm
angkorjohn2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:08 pm

I agree, sound almost to cheap, (3 good meals/day @ min $12./..$360/month)

BUT what type of old men want to retire in Siem rep? Fuck all to do but drink :beer3:
Hang aorund the pool with the tourists?

Anyway, best of luck, I worked with a group here in Phuket back in the early 90's, an we figured for what your providing, (but with kitchenettes), 24 /7 health care ( Filipino nurses) and with dr on duty, it would be around $1,000/month and that was over 25 years ago...
I can think of one market that is dying to be tapped

have you seen the movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back "? and then, of course, there are the men that go to Asia for the temples
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

People are comparing retirement residence with nursing home.

A retirement residence is for people who are still active, and can basically live a normal life, but are getting older, and would be happy if there is a doctor they can call on if they have a need. Maybe they need a little help.

A nursing home is for people who can no longer look after themselves, because of either physical or mental disorders, and need assistance with ordinary daily activities.

I dont think you will attract nursing home type people. With the exception of people who are already living in Cambodia but getting older. I dont think the place is set up to be a nursing home. Do you think children in Western countries would send their parents to a nursing home in Cambodia? Yes. I know some would.

So you will mostly attract people who are getting older, and can basically live a normal life. Maybe needing a little assistance. These same people could also rent a house, or stay in a guest house. Many will prefer to, particularly if they have a girlfriend or wife.

Who wants to live in a hotel full of old men?

So you need to say, what is offered here that they cant get elsewhere? What is going to attract them to this place? What is going to make this a viable business?

It is alright to compare prices with Western countries, but if the people dont come, the business will lose money.

One idea is to make it a regular hotel for everybody, but providing extra services for the elderly. Even offer services for the disabled.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:30 pm People are comparing retirement residence with nursing home.

A retirement residence is for people who are still active, and can basically live a normal life, but are getting older, and would be happy if there is a doctor they can call on if they have a need. Maybe they need a little help.

A nursing home is for people who can no longer look after themselves, because of either physical or mental disorders, and need assistance with ordinary daily activities.

I dont think you will attract nursing home type people. With the exception of people who are already living in Cambodia but getting older. I dont think the place is set up to be a nursing home. Do you think children in Western countries would send their parents to a nursing home in Cambodia? Yes. I know some would.

So you will mostly attract people who are getting older, and can basically live a normal life. Maybe needing a little assistance. These same people could also rent a house, or stay in a guest house. Many will prefer to, particularly if they have a girlfriend or wife.

Who wants to live in a hotel full of old men?

So you need to say, what is offered here that they cant get elsewhere? What is going to attract them to this place? What is going to make this a viable business?

It is alright to compare prices with Western countries, but if the people dont come, the business will lose money.

One idea is to make it a regular hotel for everybody, but providing extra services for the elderly. Even offer services for the disabled.
explorer, the only people that aren t getting older are dead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic