Be Careful What you Post & Say - Big Brother is Listening In

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Be Careful What you Post & Say - Big Brother is Listening In

Post by Yobbo »

Being sort after can be a curse yet one can only at best be honest in their portrayal of one's self.
Though as modest as one maybe In my case my sexuality cannot be unnoticed!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Newsflash!
Reuters, Agence France-Presse, Pravda, Fox, and the Cambodia Daily
are all reporting tonight that the Real World Government has ordered every person on the planet to be microchipped.
The technology can now, apparently, read exactly where you are and exactly what you are doing, from a central centre somewhere. It can even read how you think.

However CEO Mark Zuckerburg has just now issued a reassuring statement denying he had any such intentions.
"I can assure you, my minions, that this old fashioned technology is no longer required."
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I mix high-quality government resentment with low-quality shitposts, just to confuse all who may have the misfortune of monitoring me.

#Chinanumber1 <3
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

No one seems concerned that google and facebook have been doing this for years.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:33 pm No one seems concerned that google and facebook have been doing this for years.
...or that the NSA is spying on the heads of state of allied nations like Germany or France.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

bong.kuit wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:51 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:33 pm No one seems concerned that google and facebook have been doing this for years.
...or that the NSA is spying on the heads of state of allied nations like Germany or France.
Well, maybe so, but that doesn't mean that you should not be careful about what you post here. For sure we are monitored, so keep that in mind if you want to post anything that may offend.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:03 pm
bong.kuit wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:51 pm
Well, maybe so, but that doesn't mean that you should not be careful about what you post here. For sure we are monitored, so keep that in mind if you want to post anything that may offend.
I agree totally.

Where should we draw the line though??

I can sell a 10$ bill for 1$ and some cunt will be offended that the bill was not new or the envelope was creased in the post.

Saying that, even CEO has a line it will not cross and I don't blame them - real situations in the real world.

For everything else I use TOR VPN SIGNAL and every other tool I can.....

Good luck - if you hear this then you ARE the revolution :popcorn:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 am For everything else I use TOR VPN SIGNAL and every other tool I can.....

Good luck - if you hear this then you ARE the revolution :popcorn:
The VPNs won't help with regard to the subject of this thread, 'mobile/cell/hand phones'.
And, as you pointed out already, 'All telecom companies in Cambodia had the Government taps installed years ago - it was open news.'

So, what of the 'Siganl App' that you mentioned?

Encrypted Messaging App Signal Won’t Comply With Australia’s New Backdoor Bill
Last week, Australia’s parliament passed a new law that theoretically allows the country’s government to compel tech companies to assist law enforcement agencies by modifying software, should that be needed for officials to retrieve whatever information it is they want.

This so-called “technical capability notice” is the most controversial part of the law, which critics fear will allow the Australian government to essentially mandate backdoors to encryption software like secure messaging apps, or mobile devices like the iPhone.

Open Whisper Systems, the organization that makes the popular Signal encrypted messaging app, has now come out with a strong statement against the law: “We can’t include a backdoor in Signal,” developer Joshua Lund wrote in a blog post published on Signal’s official site on Thursday.
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/zm8p ... -than-ever

If the Aussie govt does it, then they all will. In which case, Signal App will likely get banned.

But, how secure are encrypted messaging apps? Here's the conclusion from wired.com
While end-to-end encryption is a vital privacy protection that can thwart many types of surveillance, you still need to understand the other avenues a government or attacker could take to obtain chat logs. Even when a service works perfectly factors like where messages are stored, who else has received them, and who else has access to devices that contain them play an important role in your security. If you're using encrypted chat apps as one tool in your privacy and security toolbox, more power to you. If you're relying on it as a panacea, you're more at risk than you realize.
https://www.wired.com/story/encrypted-m ... snt-magic/

And don't forget, Mishmash, when the sun sets over Carlton and you're out to make a deal, check out who you're talking to and make sure they are real. :thumb:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

@Username Taken

It's an extremely interesting topic for me at least, and I appreciate your input to this discussion.

Regarding encrypted apps the chat logs are NOT stored by Signal. You may read their response to a recent subpoena by the US on the net. They DID comply with the order but the info the Government got was basically zilch.

It stores only the date you registered and the last time you connected.

Chats kept on your phone are erased according to the time limit you set (5 seconds to days), so in the theoretical circumstance your phone was seized and the unlock code demanded you only need to hold out until the chats were removed.

Regarding the 'ensuring people are real' it does have fingerprint verification (not actual fingerprints but a unique hash-code corresponding to your session) plus man-in-the middle alerts as you would expect from any top-notch encryption utility.

The app is as secure as it gets in today's world.

Obviously sophisticated State players MAY have a way not known to people in general to circumvent any precautions people may take, however the source code is open source and tested by both Black & White hackers - clean bill of health.

If anyone did manage to overcome secure encryption the entire global banking system would be wiped in a day, as it relies on this coding.

No-one has done it so far. Hackers exploit other weaknesses (Human or Firewall or failure to implement the secondary precautions required to be effective) to steal money.

For any Government proposals to ban or outlaw such technologies, they will always be on a loser.

Whichever way they use to try and stifle freedoms and dissent, others brighter than them will overcome their 'laws'. They are not the smartest cookies in the jar after all. Generally just power hungry psychopaths.

Remember they will always use the straw-man of 'terrorists' or 'pedophiles' to obtain public consensus on issues of this type.

It's a cover for their real ambitions of enslaving people in my opinion
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:01 pm Newsflash!
Reuters, Agence France-Presse, Pravda, Fox, and the Cambodia Daily
are all reporting tonight that the Real World Government has ordered every person on the planet to be microchipped.
The technology can now, apparently, read exactly where you are and exactly what you are doing, from a central centre somewhere. It can even read how you think.

However CEO Mark Zuckerburg has just now issued a reassuring statement denying he had any such intentions.
"I can assure you, my minions, that this old fashioned technology is no longer required."
I only watch RT news and Al Jazeera and no such report :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic