Wire Through the Window Thief Caught in the Act

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Wire Through the Window Thief Caught in the Act

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia Breaking News: A suspect was arrested by Chbar Ampov Post police after attempting to steal property from room # 7, Street 357, Phsar Sleng village, in Chbar Ampov district on October 20, 2019 at midnight.

Police said the suspect, Sam Ravy, a 21-year-old Cambodian, was using a metre-long wire through the window in an attempt to hook items in the room when the victim saw what was happening. The victim, 38-year-old Sam Sambor, acted quickly and grabbed the thief. He then handed him over to the police, together with the evidence.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Wire Through the Window Thief Caught in the Act

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bastard. I had this happen in a guesthouse where the guy was angling for the guest's iphone. I don't know how that can work with a metal hook, but hey... Fortunately, in this case, the "victim" woke up and raised hell, but the thief got away.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It used to be really common, if you didn't totally lock all your windows a thief could put a long bamboo pole with a hook through a gap and then just take anything they could pick up that wasn't too big to fit through the bars. It sounds funny but I remember friends complaining that some cunt had robbed their shoes, socks or underwear with a pole. I had monkey problems and they stole lots of stuff off me.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

This is much more common than many newcomers realize.

I have seen them with a piece of bamboo with a hook, that could reach anywhere in the room. The thief quietly opened my window during the night. I grabbed his hand so he knew I was awake, and took off. They checked out very early in the morning before I woke up.

The bamboo with a hook remained permanently at the guest house. I confronted the owner, and she said it was for when people lock their keys in the room.

The owner was probably in on it.

After that night I kept the windows locked, and sweated severely with the heat. I did not stay long.

The same guest house had a door lock to one room which didn't really lock, making it easy to steal from guests.

The owners of that place have the wrong attitude. The guest house has appeared to be empty since them. It seems to be just a residence for the owners. It still has guest house signs, and empty rooms, at least most of the time.

To the newcomers. Don't leave valuables where they can be hooked out through the windows.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic