Creepy Siem Reap Pass-App Driver Propositions Woman Customer for Sex

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Creepy Siem Reap Pass-App Driver Propositions Woman Customer for Sex

Post by Anchor Moy »

In my experience, tuktuk drivers proposing their unwanted sexual services to women customers is not common at all. However, some people here say that it is. Maybe it is, but the women say nothing. When you read some of the comments on this thread - and others - you can see why they might keep quiet.

But, any sort of sexual proposition from a tuktuk or taxi driver to a women alone at night is at best uncomfortable, and at worst threatening. It is not normal. There is always a possibility that things could turn nasty for the woman. Don't berate this woman because nothing happened.
:dm:
C'mon. When a British guy posted on here about how his wife almost got her necklace snatched - how many forum members said that it was no big deal because they still have the necklace, or that you shouldn't take your wife out after dark, or that everyone knows that it's dangerous to ride a motorbike in that part of PP ? None I think. They had an accident, but what if there was no accident ? It's still a potentially bad situation. He went public to warn people, just like the lady in SR. Have some respect. Most of the time, it's easier to say nothing, but these two people are trying to help others. I say good for them for letting people know. :clap:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I'm pretty sure my wife would say something if her tuktuk driver had said he wanted to poke her, I don't think it's a race thing. It'd be fucking weird for everyone
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Given it's Pass-App they can find the guy and bring him in for "education."

The woman must have felt relieved when she got home, especially with the recent rape story.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

This is not the random Khmer man calling women on the phone to proposition them for sex. Or the random man at the restaurant stall at the market propositioning them for sex. This is the Pass App driver, with the poor woman alone at night. Super creepy.

Wish the mob justice crowd finds this guy and rehabilitates his thinking.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:22 am Posting online that a tuk tuk driver asked you for sex is like posting online that a tuk tuk driver offered you drugs. Or asked how much your apartment costs. Or that tuk tuk drivers on the corner stared at you. It's not newsworthy.

He asked for sex, she said no. There's nothing in the story about her being "aggressed" if that's a word.
Pass App.. Even the business name is suggestive.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:39 am This is not the random Khmer man calling women on the phone to proposition them for sex. Or the random man at the restaurant stall at the market propositioning them for sex. This is the Pass App driver, with the poor woman alone at night. Super creepy.

Wish the mob justice crowd finds this guy and rehabilitates his thinking.
Mob justice??? 99% of Khmer men would have no problem with this and wouldn't see any difference at all between a restaurant stall worker asking for sex and a PassApp driver asking for sex.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

^^ I think there's a big difference. It's a power / trust thing. When somebody hops in a taxi/passapp/ tuk-tuk they entering the drivers space and entrusting him with their safety. If a restaurant worker propositions a woman in a restaurant it's a far more neutral environment, there are other people around, there isn't the same degree of trust or power given to the driver.

**Sorry, I thought you said you saw no saw no difference- not Cambodian men. Surely they would see that there is a difference though?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Like most guys with wives, GFs, daughters, nieces etc I would poke his fucking eyes out if it happened to any of my family.

Sorry if it sounds radical

Seriously creepy...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic