PM HE to Purchase Four L-39 Jets from Czech Republic

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: PM HE to Purchase Four L-39 Jets from Czech Republic

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Some years ago i had a couple of lessons in a powered glider.
Fan tast ic! and relatively cheap. It was only going to cost about Aus$2000 for the hours and lessons to get a solo licence.
But then Cambodia came along and hijacked me.

I'm envious. It must be fab flying in Cambodia with empty skies, great scenery and "interesting" weather conditions.
I must say I would be concerned about the standard of mechanical maintenance and safety here tho'. (???)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 am

It’s a stepping stone.

Throwing a bunch of untrained farmers/construction/factory workers into a high performance jet fighter is a recipe for disaster.

As others have alluded to the Albatross is a lot cheaper to fly and maintain than Super Hornet and Sukhoi fighters.

It’s a smart move. Cambodia creates a pool of jet pilots capable of moving up to future combat planes or increasing the number of local commercial aviation pilots.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by John Bingham » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 am

newkidontheblock wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 am

Throwing a bunch of untrained farmers/construction/factory workers into a high performance jet fighter is a recipe for disaster.

What are you on about? There are these people called "pilots" they employ to fly aircraft.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:36 am

John Bingham wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 am
newkidontheblock wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 am

What are you on about? There are these people called "pilots" they employ to fly aircraft.
I agree - the air-base is a well run operation - here are some learning to be pilots with yours truly in the center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic