Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Kinetic wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 pm It's nice to know that you enjoy your first days :)
I would recommend you to stay at Raffle if you can afford it. I am sure the staff is very well qualified to take you. If you feel safe there, keep it.
Can you tell us the exact name of the hotel, your girlfriend want to bring you please? I can not find Luck Hotel in Phnom Penh near riverside on google.
Please check your bank account online if you can.
Take care!
it was identified as Lux on 136, the whoremongers choice
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 pm
Kinetic wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 pm It's nice to know that you enjoy your first days :)
I would recommend you to stay at Raffle if you can afford it. I am sure the staff is very well qualified to take you. If you feel safe there, keep it.
Can you tell us the exact name of the hotel, your girlfriend want to bring you please? I can not find Luck Hotel in Phnom Penh near riverside on google.
Please check your bank account online if you can.
Take care!
it was identified as Lux on 136, the whoremongers choice
Lux Riverside Hotel on street 136, damnn! :facepalm:
Clarence70
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Clarence70 »

Have been following this thread from beginning and felt really quite worried for you and what could go wrong. I’ve never responded to any threads on here before but feel compelled to now. I have been wondering over the last few days how it was all going for you and now alarm bells are going off in my head too about what you’ve just told us, especially the bank card, the safe situation and her wanting you to move hotels so she can sleep with you. Very worrying signs, I’m afraid she’s not a good sort. I too believe the staff at Raffles are only looking out for you. Please take heed of some of the experienced male member’s advice here and hook up with the one who offered to meet and suss her out. Please take care. I hope Monty is coping well with it all.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Clarence70 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:31 pm Have been following this thread from beginning and felt really quite worried for you and what could go wrong. I’ve never responded to any threads on here before but feel compelled to now. I have been wondering over the last few days how it was all going for you and now alarm bells are going off in my head too about what you’ve just told us, especially the bank card, the safe situation and her wanting you to move hotels so she can sleep with you. Very worrying signs, I’m afraid she’s not a good sort. I too believe the staff at Raffles are only looking out for you. Please take heed of some of the experienced male member’s advice here and hook up with the one who offered to meet and suss her out. Please take care. I hope Monty is coping well with it all.
Raffles have an excellent standing as would be expected from an International 5 star hotel at 200$ a night.

It is extremely doubtful the staff would be 'rude' or resort to any name calling behind backs in Khmer or otherwise - it's not worth their position or their own personal reputations.

No record exists of any thefts, scams, or anything of that ilk and they are careful to keep it that way.

The manager, Dennis de Groot, personally responds to any and all complaints and is courteous enough to reply to the online reviews.

Keep up the adventure sir - we are all on your side.
Clarence70
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Clarence70 »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 pm
Clarence70 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:31 pm Have been following this thread from beginning and felt really quite worried for you and what could go wrong. I’ve never responded to any threads on here before but feel compelled to now. I have been wondering over the last few days how it was all going for you and now alarm bells are going off in my head too about what you’ve just told us, especially the bank card, the safe situation and her wanting you to move hotels so she can sleep with you. Very worrying signs, I’m afraid she’s not a good sort. I too believe the staff at Raffles are only looking out for you. Please take heed of some of the experienced male member’s advice here and hook up with the one who offered to meet and suss her out. Please take care. I hope Monty is coping well with it all.
Raffles have an excellent standing as would be expected from an International 5 star hotel at 200$ a night.

It is extremely doubtful the staff would be 'rude' or resort to any name calling behind backs in Khmer or otherwise - it's not worth their position or their own personal reputations.

No record exists of any thefts, scams, or anything of that ilk and they are careful to keep it that way.

The manager personally responds to any and all complaints and is courteous enough to reply to the online reviews.

Perhaps they haven’t been very polite. They’ll know a whore when they see one and no doubt they have the measure of her and her “cousin”.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Hands up all those who saw this recent turn of events coming from all the way back on page 1.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Clarence70 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 pm

The manager personally responds to any and all complaints and is courteous enough to reply to the online reviews.

Perhaps they haven’t been very polite. They’ll know a whore when they see one and no doubt they have the measure of her and her “cousin”.
They will have been polite for sure. They will have politely refused the lady for no ID along with their policies. The lady may have said otherwise about them - as is more likely - if you catch my point. Raffles staff are some of the best Cambodia has to offer and won't rise to any bait whatsoever - immensely polite and face saving staff. They will even thank-you if you name call them bro.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:36 pm Hands up all those who saw this recent turn of events coming from all the way back on page 1.
I try very hard not to be a cynic but yes, this might just end very badly. Though the romantic in me hopes otherwise.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm Unfortunately there was some issue at the hotel and she can’t stay with me, she said it’s because her ID is expired? There was a lot of back and forth about it between her and the hotel staff but it was all in Cambodian so I didn’t understand it. It’s fine, I’ve needed to sleep a lot anyway, the let lag and time change has been really hard for me.
They probably don't want her to stay there because they know her, or think she is not a good person.
trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm Speaking of money, her cousin helped my get money from an ATM outside the airport when I arrived but when we tried to get more out yesterday the transaction couldn’t be completed and then my card never came out of the machine. So I will have to go to BIDC bank soon to try to get my card back. Is that a difficult process?
Do you know for sure, your card never came out of the machine? They may have just said that. They may be emptying your bank account.
trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm Tomorrow we are all going to her village for a night. She thinks I should check out of Raffles and move to Luck Hotel near the riverside so she can stay with me but I am not sure. I like Raffles but she says the staff is rude and saying things behind my back. It’s a little confusing, it seems like a nice hotel, but I know that disabled travelers are a rarity in Cambodia. My girlfriend also thinks my cash isn’t secure in the in room safe, she says the staff in Cambodia can open it, is that true?
You should go to the bank and sort out your ATM card urgently. Don't go to the village until it is sorted out. If you did all of the right things, the bank will pay for any money stolen. If you did not do all or the right things, you have to pay for it. That includes reporting it as soon as possible.

Girls who want to sleep with you on the first night, will not make good wives. They also sleep with other men on the first night.

Be very aware that she and her family may steal from you.

I do hope you have a good time. But I am concerned for you.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clarence70
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Clarence70 »

explorer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 pm
trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm Unfortunately there was some issue at the hotel and she can’t stay with me, she said it’s because her ID is expired? There was a lot of back and forth about it between her and the hotel staff but it was all in Cambodian so I didn’t understand it. It’s fine, I’ve needed to sleep a lot anyway, the let lag and time change has been really hard for me.
They probably don't want her to stay there because they know her, or think she is not a good person.
trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm Speaking of money, her cousin helped my get money from an ATM outside the airport when I arrived but when we tried to get more out yesterday the transaction couldn’t be completed and then my card never came out of the machine. So I will have to go to BIDC bank soon to try to get my card back. Is that a difficult process?
Do you know for sure, your card never came out of the machine? They may have just said that. They may be emptying your bank account.
trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm Tomorrow we are all going to her village for a night. She thinks I should check out of Raffles and move to Luck Hotel near the riverside so she can stay with me but I am not sure. I like Raffles but she says the staff is rude and saying things behind my back. It’s a little confusing, it seems like a nice hotel, but I know that disabled travelers are a rarity in Cambodia. My girlfriend also thinks my cash isn’t secure in the in room safe, she says the staff in Cambodia can open it, is that true?
You should go to the bank and sort out your ATM card urgently. Don't go to the village until it is sorted out. If you did all of the right things, the bank will pay for any money stolen. If you did not do all or the right things, you have to pay for it. That includes reporting it as soon as possible.

Girls who want to sleep with you on the first night, will not make good wives. They also sleep with other men on the first night.

Be very aware that she and her family may steal from you.

I do hope you have a good time. But I am concerned for you.
I think we’re all concerned for him. I don’t want him to go to the village alone. Is there anyone who speaks Khmer who could go with him?! Be his eyes and ears. If they’re genuine they won’t mind another guest but I fear this is already ending badly. I’m concerned about Monty too, PP must be so stressful for him and I don’t want him ending up on a spit!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic