French Woman Allegedly Gang Raped in Kampot, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: French Woman Allegedly Gang Raped in Kampot, Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Update : All 3 men now in custody and have confessed

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Update:
Kampot: Police arrested a suspect in Kampot province on October 16, 2019, after a French woman was taken to a car and raped and dropped off, while two other fugitives escaped and went into hiding on Bokor Mountain. The two remaining suspects have now been taken into custody.
The three suspects are:
First: Seng Srun, 37, taxi driver, is staying in Boeung Veng village, Veal Rin commune, Prey Nop district, Preah Sihanouk province.
No. 2: Mali Levi Phi, 19, is living in Niroth commune, Bay Seth district, Kampong Speu province.
No 3: Nget Nheap, 23, lives in Trapeang Lek village, Krang Suv commune, Chhouk district, Kampot province.

Kampot police are questioning the three men.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Looks like a land cruiser to me. How many taxi drivers drive them?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

krisduncs wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:25 pm Looks like a land cruiser to me. How many taxi drivers drive them?
It wouldn't be surprising. In SHV and around, you need something solid to get through the shite roads, potholes, flood zones etc.
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

good work on the part of the police....
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I am happy the outcome and the confessions - as the lady's evidence was looking somewhat shaky for a conviction (according to the press releases).

The boys CAN do a good job as we have seen time after time.

I sincerely hope the lady rebuilds her shattered life and manages to trust people again.
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

I am sure that 1. these 3 persons are not first offenders and 2. the victim was not a chance victim. As a rule, the later victim may already have been observed in the bar before, but at the latest at the entrance or off the ground to the path along the river to the bridge. Unfortunately, I do not know the local conditions such as public or private camera surveillance, video recordings in the bar and surrounding shops, since with great certainty at least one of the 3 people or just in the hours before something has shopped and certainly not have changed the clothes. Hardly any group spends hours in the car at night without being seen and recorded.

3. The vehicle itself, also here there are good starting points, because these perpetrators are certainly not driven for such a crime a hundred kilometers. The perpetrators should therefore within a radius of max. 100 KM to live. Other details and clues I leave out here and unfortunately I do not know the work and procedure of the Cambodian police, I hope that since the French Embassy seeks education and assistance and victim protection. For me this is a scandal - and of course that is certainly not conducive to a woman - alone and at night, no matter where in the world to be on the road - yet here are some comments so out of place that I'm really for such A (Beep ), ashamed!

I am glad that these 3 bastards could be arrested very quickly. I would really like to thank the Cambodian police for their swift action and expertise in this case. I will even prosecute this case in court.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

CambodiaGerman1 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm I am sure that 1. these 3 persons are not first offenders and 2. the victim was not a chance victim. As a rule, the later victim may already have been observed in the bar before, but at the latest at the entrance or off the ground to the path along the river to the bridge. Unfortunately, I do not know the local conditions such as public or private camera surveillance, video recordings in the bar and surrounding shops, since with great certainty at least one of the 3 people or just in the hours before something has shopped and certainly not have changed the clothes. Hardly any group spends hours in the car at night without being seen and recorded.

3. The vehicle itself, also here there are good starting points, because these perpetrators are certainly not driven for such a crime a hundred kilometers. The perpetrators should therefore within a radius of max. 100 KM to live. Other details and clues I leave out here and unfortunately I do not know the work and procedure of the Cambodian police, I hope that since the French Embassy seeks education and assistance and victim protection. For me this is a scandal - and of course that is certainly not conducive to a woman - alone and at night, no matter where in the world to be on the road - yet here are some comments so out of place that I'm really for such A (Beep ), ashamed!

I am glad that these 3 bastards could be arrested very quickly. I would really like to thank the Cambodian police for their swift action and expertise in this case. I will even prosecute this case in court.
Which comments in particular offended you please?

I am not a mod but I am sure people are interested in the specifics - myself included.

We can all learn.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Three men charged for gang-raping French tourist in Cambodia
By RFI Issued on 19-10-2019
A Cambodian court has charged three men with gang-raping a French tourist in the coastal province of Kampot after offering her a ride in their car, police said Saturday.

The victim, from Paris, told police she was walking home from a restaurant in Kampot last Friday when three local men pulled up alongside her just after 3am and offered her a lift back to her hotel.

The men allegedly pulled her into the car and drove to a remote location where they held her captive.

All three men then repeatedly raped her before driving her back, she said.

The men -- a 36-year-old taxi driver and two construction workers aged 19 and 23 -- "were charged with rape and placed in pre-trial detention on Friday evening," Kampot provincial police chief Mao Chanmathurith told the AFP news agency.

They could face up to 15 years in jail if convicted.
http://en.rfi.fr/asia/20191019-three-me ... t-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

It hasn't been mentioned yet but..... most cases of rape here are rape-murder cases.
I wonder why they let her go after?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic