Family book

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Family book

Post by walkjivefly »

Missus is Khmer, I'm a Brit. Our son was born outside Cambodia 20 months ago. Missus tried to add him to her "family book" (actually Carnet de Residence) when we got back here when he was 4 months old. I think it was at the village office, might have been the Sangkat. Wherever it was told her "no can" (be bothered).

She tried again today and got the runaround again. Village office says go to Sangkat, Sangkat says go to Police, Police says go to big police. Big police says "come back tomorrow" and see 7 even bigger police.

How much fucking ball ache and runaround should it be to get some officious numpty to write a name on a bit of yellow card and stamp it? Which of the above offices is supposed to do the name writing and stamping in a Carnet de Residence?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Family book

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Family Book and Carnet de Residence are 2 totally separate documents.

Your child is a Cambodian Citizen by descent, therefore there should be absolutely no issue with having them added to either document. I'd advise raising a complaint for further action at the Department of Identification, they deal with these types of issues and are very effective.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am Family Book and Carnet de Residence are 2 totally separate documents.
I realise they're separate documents, hence "family book" in quotes because that's what my wife calls it, and Carnet de Residence in brackets because that's what it really is.
Your child is a Cambodian Citizen by descent, therefore there should be absolutely no issue with having them added to either document. I'd advise raising a complaint for further action at the Department of Identification, they deal with these types of issues and are very effective.
Yeah, that's the theory; the practice is a bit different. Anyway, she got it sorted after 3 days of running around over the course of a week and $20 in tea money to assorted useless numpties. At least we didn't have to go to Dept. of Identification to get it sorted.

I think the problem is the woeful lack of education, inability to think for themselves and lack of oversight for people working in any official capacity. Maybe by the time our son grows up things will have improved a bit.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I am happy your situation was resolved.

It does have to be entered in a larger book of births and deaths kept by the Commune, so sometimes the process can be long-winded to us bro.

20$ sounds a reasonable price to register - it's 11GBP in the UK and if not born in that area also takes a few days.

Things will improve hopefully and maybe your son will be the next Village Chief
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic