Truth or BS about overland visa (to Vietnam) from website?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Georgina
Expatriate

Truth or BS about overland visa (to Vietnam) from website?

Post by Georgina »

Alan Tours website reads: "NOTE: You cannot obtain a visa on arrival at land border-crossing points (with the exception of Moc Bai border crossing). If you enter Vietnam by land, you must obtain the visa before arrival. Refer to our VISA section below for more information."

News to me.
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Truth or BS about overland visa (to Vietnam) from websit

Post by Soi Dog »

Georgina wrote:Alan Tours website reads: "NOTE: You cannot obtain a visa on arrival at land border-crossing points (with the exception of Moc Bai border crossing). If you enter Vietnam by land, you must obtain the visa before arrival. Refer to our VISA section below for more information."
I believe that information is correct, although something seems to be in the works for visa-less travel specifically to Phu Quoc from Cambodia, or so I have read.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

It's true.

Also, you need the visa in your passport when crossing by land, as opposed to the ones you can get online and collect at the airports.

Anyone know the prices of Vietnam visas? They have gone up a LOT in recent years.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

^ My mate got his Vietnam visa from the Embassy in PP, $60, this was about 3 months ago.
movetocambodia
Tourist

Post by movetocambodia »

It's faster and sometimes cheaper to get your visa through a travel agent than going to the embassy. Rates here: http://www.movetocambodia.com/practical ... n-cambodia
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

It has been since January since I checked, but I used to come here from Vietnam to get my visas for over a year. I would try for 6 months for $180, but a lot of times they would suspend the 6 month visas, and only 3 month available for $95 from any guesthouse. Lucky Lucky would be cheaper if you go there.

Then, when I took my visa back to Hanoi, it would be a toss up on whether they could extend it once or twice. The agent would let us know.

Then a site came out that issued the visas when you arrived at the airport for six months. It was a weird way to do it. You had to put tourist (they don't issue 6 month tourist visas) on the website drop down menu. A French guy did it once and decided not to do it again. I left shortly after that. I think only Cambodia and Thailand issue the 6 month visas.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Asked 3 or 4 TAs in Kep last year and the cheapest I could find was $55 or so.
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Georgina wrote:Alan Tours website reads: "NOTE: You cannot obtain a visa on arrival at land border-crossing points (with the exception of Moc Bai border crossing). If you enter Vietnam by land, you must obtain the visa before arrival. Refer to our VISA section below for more information."

News to me.
Just checked Georgina. I could not have quoted it better myself.

Your post is 100% accurate. There are rumors of visa free. Not now.

You answered your own question.

:dm:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Yeah, and there used to be a special situation at one of the Vietnamese border crossings from Cambodia in a "economic zone" or something, where you could just show up, but not any more.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Georgina
Expatriate

Post by Georgina »

So, the consensus is that there is no need to obtain a Vietnam visa in advance in one circumstance (one border crossing). Just show up at Moc Bai border crossing. Hard to believe why this would be an exception.

Presumably there are some limitations, such as this does work if you are from 'normal' countries like Oz, UK and Germany, but not if you are from Vatican City or Israel. And that what is issued is a one month (extendable?) tourist visa, not one of those delightful 3-month (6-month?) multi entry visas issued so cheaply and easily at the consulate in seaside Kompong Som ?
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic