Complete and utter exhaustion. Advice.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Complete and utter exhaustion. Advice.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Five days ago I came down with pneumonia with fever/chills, exhaustion, aches, stomach pain and general feeling of shitiness and having to change the bed linen daily because it's perpetually saturated. Now into the sixth day I can barely get to the bathroom without almost collapsing from exhaustion, I feel I'm going to pass out every time a take a couple of steps. I'm not really an alarmist type, but this is starting to go on a bit without improvement. If things haven't got better in a day or two I may have to see a doctor but thought maybe someone might be able recommend some meds.

Anyone dealt with an extended bout of pneumonia that can advise me on some meds?

Thanks in advance, excuse me if I don't respond.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Complete and utter exhaustion. Advice.

Post by Soriya »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:50 pm Five days ago I came down with to pneumonia with fever/chills, exhaustion, aches, stomach pain and general feeling of shitiness and having to change the bed linen daily because it's perpetually saturated. Now into the sixth day I can barely get to the bathroom without almost collapsing from exhaustion, I feel I'm going to pass out every time a take a couple of steps. I'm not really an alarmist type, but this is starting to go on a bit without improvement. If things haven't got better in a day or two I may have to see a doctor but thought maybe someone might be able recommend some meds.

Anyone dealt with an extended bout of pneumonia that can advise me on some meds?

Thanks in advance, excuse me if I don't respond.
Without sounding alarming.are you sure its pneumonia? Also similar symptoms for dengue fever
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

The wheelbarrow volumes of sputum I'm coughing up and general chest discomfort suggests pneumonia. No skin rash, pain behind the eyes, vomiting etc
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

see a doctor my friend, life is too fragile to take chances in a 3rd world country. Good luck
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:44 pm see a doctor my friend, life is too fragile to take chances in a 3rd world country. Good luck
Yes. What AW says. Go see a doctor TODAY. Tomorrow you might be too weak to move. If I understand, you are traveling alone KfH, so all the more reason that you have to take care of yourself.
Hope you are drinking lots of liquids, and something with sugar and salts. But go see a proper doctor without delay.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yes Billy, go see a good doctor, immediately please.
You have responsibilities.
To us!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

According to Wikipedia: "Pneumonia is usually caused by infection. Antibiotics by mouth, rest, simple analgesics, and fluids usually suffice for complete resolution. However, those with other medical conditions, the elderly, or those with significant trouble breathing may require more advanced care. If the symptoms worsen, the pneumonia does not improve with home treatment, or complications occur, hospitalization may be required."

So, at the very least you should send someone to a pharmacy to get some antibiotics, some efferlgan codeine or tablets, some electrolyte powder, maybe some vitamins, and try to eat some fruit. How's your appetite?

If you can stomch it, eat some chicken vindaloo or similarly spicy curry.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 pm According to Wikipedia: "Pneumonia is usually caused by infection. Antibiotics by mouth, rest, simple analgesics, and fluids usually suffice for complete resolution. However, those with other medical conditions, the elderly, or those with significant trouble breathing may require more advanced care. If the symptoms worsen, the pneumonia does not improve with home treatment, or complications occur, hospitalization may be required."

So, at the very least you should send someone to a pharmacy to get some antibiotics, some efferlgan codeine or tablets, some electrolyte powder, maybe some vitamins, and try to eat some fruit. How's your appetite?

I take it you are a doctor and can offer remote advice?

Hillbilly, do yourself a favor and see someone qualified. Social media or forums are NOT the places to seek medical advice.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

sigmoid wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 pm According to Wikipedia: "Pneumonia is usually caused by infection. Antibiotics by mouth, rest, simple analgesics, and fluids usually suffice for complete resolution. However, those with other medical conditions, the elderly, or those with significant trouble breathing may require more advanced care. If the symptoms worsen, the pneumonia does not improve with home treatment, or complications occur, hospitalization may be required."

No appetite, force feeding bits and pieces.

My research suggests a tetracycline antibiotic like Doxycycline to be a possible starting point.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I dont know which part of the world you are in.

Squeeze some lime or lemon juice into bottles of water and drink it. Another option is to drink orange juice, or the juice of other fruit rich in vitamin C. Drink fairly large amounts.

Eucalyptus oil is very good for respiratory infections. You can buy it in capsules in pharmacies in Cambodia. If you are somewhere where you can buy the oil, wrap a towel around your neck, and put some on the towel just under your nose, so you inhale it. Be aware, some eucalyptus oil is diluted with alcohol, and has very little effect.

When you eat, eat only the healthiest food.

Avoid sugar.

Keep warm.

You know how sick you are, and if and when you need to see a doctor.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic