Attempted Robbery of British Man & Girlfriend This Week Caught on GoPro (VIDEO)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Attempted Robbery of British Man & Girlfriend This Week Caught on GoPro (VIDEO)

Post by AndyKK »

Artemis wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm Thank you for your kind replies.
Yes we went to the nearest police station where the incident happened, and the report was filed.
I also contacted the Phnom Penh post this morning and sent them the footage. They replied to me immediately and came to meet me for an interview and I hope the footage will now get maximum exposure.

You are quite right as to how quickly these things can happen.

I strongly urge everyone reading this to make sure they only ride with full facial crash helmets, I wasn’t driving fast and I never do but what shocked me was just how hard my face hit the concrete.....
Artemis have you got anywhere near the police getting the culprits of the crime? Also where would I be able to get hold of a camera like this in Phnom Penh? I have thought about trying to obtain one due to any sort of incidents or accident. I mean the amount of what we could call near misses with at least myself being invisible, one unlucky day it could happen. Then the cop turn up and it's your fault. But maybe not if you have footage.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Attempted Robbery of British Man & Girlfriend This Week Caught on GoPro (VIDEO)

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 pm
Artemis wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm Thank you for your kind replies.
Yes we went to the nearest police station where the incident happened, and the report was filed.
I also contacted the Phnom Penh post this morning and sent them the footage. They replied to me immediately and came to meet me for an interview and I hope the footage will now get maximum exposure.

You are quite right as to how quickly these things can happen.

I strongly urge everyone reading this to make sure they only ride with full facial crash helmets, I wasn’t driving fast and I never do but what shocked me was just how hard my face hit the concrete.....
Artemis have you got anywhere near the police getting the culprits of the crime? Also where would I be able to get hold of a camera like this in Phnom Penh? I have thought about trying to obtain one due to any sort of incidents or accident. I mean the amount of what we could call near misses with at least myself being invisible, one unlucky day it could happen. Then the cop turn up and it's your fault. But maybe not if you have footage.
AndyKK, you can pick up an imitation GoPro @ Central Market for $25-$35. I have one, I bought it 2.5 years ago and it is still going strong. I use it every time I am riding or driving. It serves perfect dashcam purpose in the UK right now. I also bought the mounts to put it on my chest, my shoulder and my helmet when riding. (About another $30)

I'm with the OP regarding full-face helmets. Never ridden without one, and his story serves only to prove that (despite being relatively cumbersome) they are worth their weight in gold.
It saved my face during an off-road excursion some years back and I know of too many people who have all been saved by good quality helmets.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yerg, thank you so much for the information, I will pay a visit to Central Market and have a look, that also would be enjoyable since it has been a number of years since I have previously visited.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

With your great photo eye, Andy
you would be dangerous with a GoPro.

..especially with your motorbike riding
:mrgreen:
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

I bought one of those fake gopros from central market and found the picture quality to be very reasonable,but the sound quality is not so good.(have tried to upload a clip recorded on it but cant figure out how to help) the clip is on my computer ?
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

I must admit.the OPs post made me go out last week and buy a full face helmet. The video scared me into it and i am glad i needed that wake up call if you like to go buy one. I hope the OP has recovered and is ok. Thank you for posting this.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:10 am Yerg, thank you so much for the information, I will pay a visit to Central Market and have a look, that also would be enjoyable since it has been a number of years since I have previously visited.
@AndyKK It all depends where you enter the market from. Go to the central atrium and one of the "fingers" that splits off there is a section dedicated to electronics and tasers etc. That is where you will find the cameras and accessories.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh Post video news:

2019-10-16 18:25 by Post Staff
A 45-year-old British man was injured after two men tried to snatch his girlfriend’s necklace while they were travelling on a motorbike on Tuesday in Chamkarmon district’s Phsar Doeum Thkov commune in the capital.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/video/bri ... ng-attempt
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

@Artemis

Happy to see it's still ongoing.

The videos and the publicity hopefully will make people more aware of exactly how dangerous these punks are.

My best friend's wife was pulled off her bike riding home from work and ended up in hospital.

I had my phone snatched by moto punks while riding on Monivong and checking my GPS for next turn - but managed to retain control - lucky.

Couldn't catch them - too fast on their zoomer - jinking and the usual antics of practiced freshie boy riders.

If your perps are pictured on here, when caught, I will think I will class it as justice for you, your GF, my best friend and his wife and me also.

It's assault at the very least - reckless endangerment surely.

Keep it going bro.. The police will find them eventually.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Wow, that was crazy, but glad there were no serious injuries. I would suspect that since the camera got a clear shot of the license plate, it would help a lot in finding these guys....but then again....what happens in the Kingdom.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic