Today's "Music" sounds like industrial noise.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Today's "Music" sounds like industrial noise.

Post by johnny lightning »

This is beginning to look like a competition in obscurity. Look at all the bands I know that nobody else ever heard of! I admit I am far from up to date but I have never seen or heard of 19 out of 20 (at best!) of the last several pages of "musicians". In fact the only reason I have heard of Allanis Morisette is you would have to have lived in a cave for at least a year after her huge album came out not to have.

Johnny
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

johnny lightning wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:57 pm This is beginning to look like a competition in obscurity. Look at all the bands I know that nobody else ever heard of! I admit I am far from up to date but I have never seen or heard of 19 out of 20 (at best!) of the last several pages of "musicians". In fact the only reason I have heard of Allanis Morisette is you would have to have lived in a cave for at least a year after her huge album came out not to have.

Johnny
Think of us as bad paleontologists that have been careless with your fossilized form and chipped your shoulder a bit. Or perhaps just people who like sharing the music we enjoy.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

johnny lightning wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:57 pm This is beginning to look like a competition in obscurity. Look at all the bands I know that nobody else ever heard of! I admit I am far from up to date but I have never seen or heard of 19 out of 20 (at best!) of the last several pages of "musicians". In fact the only reason I have heard of Allanis Morisette is you would have to have lived in a cave for at least a year after her huge album came out not to have.

Johnny
Surely you remember this band. My uncle used to play with them. :D

johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Doesn't ring a bell but it might for my grampa, were he still alive. I struggle to identify anything pre 1960. Possibly because I wasn't born yet.

Johnny
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

I must confess that I refrained from posting too much as it could seem like a pissing-contest, and therefore annoy other members.

BUT: I did enjoy listening to the clips posted, just skipping the tracks and listening in full when it seemed worth-wile. Posted into the thread quite some time after listening and consuming. Thing is that so much music is produced these days, with possible gems among them, that keeping up could end up being a full-time hobby in itself. Therefore I am always happy to listen to new things others might have already 'discovered' and 'curated' as it saves tons of time and might let you listen to stuff you had never thought of, such as those kawaii metal tracks in my case. More varied than what YouTube suggests on your viewing habits.

But I can fully understand there are people who would be perfectly content just playing the same Rolling Stones records over-and-over they have been listening to for years on end.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Flexxman wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:26 pm I must confess that I refrained from posting too much as it could seem like a pissing-contest, and therefore annoy other members.

BUT: I did enjoy listening to the clips posted, just skipping the tracks and listening in full when it seemed worth-wile. Posted into the thread quite some time after listening and consuming. Thing is that so much music is produced these days, with possible gems among them, that keeping up could end up being a full-time hobby in itself. Therefore I am always happy to listen to new things others might have already 'discovered' and 'curated' as it saves tons of time and might let you listen to stuff you had never thought of, such as those kawaii metal tracks in my case. More varied than what YouTube suggests on your viewing habits.

But I can fully understand there are people who would be perfectly content just playing the same Rolling Stones records over-and-over they have been listening to for years on end.
some people see it as a contest, but those who really do enjoy discovering/sharing music would just see it exactly how we have done, by sharing music we enjoy so others can discover that theres more to music than just the mainstream
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

siliconlife wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 pm
siliconlife wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 am Nice,
Also I have a question for you: Babymetal. Y/N? ;-) ;-) ;-)
Babymetal??!! Love Babymetal, did a thread on them on here 4 years ago, been following them since 2013, went to see them a few times in 2014 after the release of their first album, Off to see them again in July :D
Haha, it was almost a hypothetical question! Not gonna get into how envious I am of seeing them live! :bow:
got an anime version of Yui-Metal tattooed on Friday :plus1: ;-) ;-) ;-)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 pm
siliconlife wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 pm
siliconlife wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 am Nice,
Also I have a question for you: Babymetal. Y/N? ;-) ;-) ;-)
Babymetal??!! Love Babymetal, did a thread on them on here 4 years ago, been following them since 2013, went to see them a few times in 2014 after the release of their first album, Off to see them again in July :D
Haha, it was almost a hypothetical question! Not gonna get into how envious I am of seeing them live! :bow:
got an anime version of Yui-Metal tattooed on Friday :plus1: ;-) ;-) ;-)
if you aint heard it yet, this is their latest song, its pretty damn good infusing j-rock and indian music
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic