Hong Kong Watch

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Hong Kong Watch

Post by CaptainNemo »

I think it's too late, and the damage is done. China has committed an unforced error, and scuppered their chances of winning the trade war with the US.
HK is finished now as what it was, it will plod on, diminished, but the money will move to less riskier places. Singapore is an obvious one. Japan could do with the boost. Bangkok would like it, but can't navigate it's own internal baggage to nab it. Korea in theory could absorb some of it, but I think Singpore and Tokyo will benefit most.
I'm not like other boys...
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Apple have pulled the police tracking app. From Washington Post:

"HONG KONG — In the space of a week, Apple made a trio of changes to its phone software in Hong Kong that pleased the Chinese government but irked human rights advocates.

First, it removed the emoji for the flag of Taiwan, which China doesn’t recognize, from its operating system. Then, it banned media outlet Quartz, which had offered readers detailed accounts of the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. And on Wednesday night, it banned the HKmap.live app, which identified police locations, offering protesters a way to avoid the violent crackdowns underway.

It was Apple’s second reversal on HKmap.live, which it initially rejected and then allowed to appear in its App Store. The latest about-face came after the People’s Daily, the Chinese Communist Party’s official newspaper, said in a blog post this week that the app had “betrayed the feelings of the Chinese people.” The article accused the app’s anonymous developer of harboring malicious motives and queried whether Apple was an accomplice of “rioters.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Futile. Oppression drives innovation, and whilst this might help Apple's sales in the mainland, it won't stop anything.

Alas for China, HKers are a bit more worldly and educated than the mainlanders, they can't control them unless they ban everything, and if they do that, they kill the goose that lays their golden eggs. Collectivist totalitarianism and Free-market capitalism are mutually exclusive systems. China's massive cheap workforce is like Saudi oil - their only engine of income.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

CaptainNemo wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:51 pm Futile. Oppression drives innovation, and whilst this might help Apple's sales in the mainland, it won't stop anything.

Alas for China, HKers are a bit more worldly and educated than the mainlanders, they can't control them unless they ban everything, and if they do that, they kill the goose that lays their golden eggs. Collectivist totalitarianism and Free-market capitalism are mutually exclusive systems. China's massive cheap workforce is like Saudi oil - their only engine of income.
This reflects more on Apple's morality, I think. I've always been against them.
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Asia and Apple are made for each other.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

After watching on tv a group of masked thugs moving in at the end of a protest in the train station , and damaging everything they could, it is obvious to me that the
powers in charge are sending in these people to ruin the reputation of peaceful protesters. Why were there no police or security to stop or arrest those damaging the ticketing machines , its not as if there were so many people there that the security people were in danger, more of a case of those involved were paid to do that job with the promise that they would not be arrested.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

I don't think it matters any more. What is even more disturbing is that Chinese money can translate into censorship in countries like the UK.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/1 ... versities/
...and not for the first time, just after the Tibetan uprising in 2008, and the Chinese government fomented anti-pro-Tibet protests at UK universities with their students wth tape over their mouths, offensively presenting the opposite of the truth - that it was Tibetans and their supporters who are being silenced.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/ ... ssy-london

the focking labour party again...
"Foreign Secretary David Miliband said: "Like every other EU member state, and the United States, we regard Tibet as part of the People's Republic of China.""
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... Tibet.html
The labour party makes me want to puke.

Meanwhile, back in the motherland, the economy is continuing to suffer.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-drop-6-6
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Duncan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 am After watching on tv a group of masked thugs moving in at the end of a protest in the train station , and damaging everything they could, it is obvious to me that the
powers in charge are sending in these people to ruin the reputation of peaceful protesters. Why were there no police or security to stop or arrest those damaging the ticketing machines , its not as if there were so many people there that the security people were in danger, more of a case of those involved were paid to do that job with the promise that they would not be arrested.
Were they wearing white shirts? If so these are Triad thugs who have strong connections to powerful mainland families, and are being paid to do things like this. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they were sending them in in black shirts now too.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 am After watching on tv a group of masked thugs moving in at the end of a protest in the train station , and damaging everything they could, it is obvious to me that the powers in charge are sending in these people to ruin the reputation of peaceful protesters. Why were there no police or security to stop or arrest those damaging the ticketing machines , its not as if there were so many people there that the security people were in danger, more of a case of those involved were paid to do that job with the promise that they would not be arrested.
If they cant beat them by stopping the protests, send in those who take the protests to the point they are out of control.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Google pulls Hong Kong protestor game from store
11 October 2019
Google has removed from its app store a mobile game that lets people role play as a Hong Kong protester.

The tech giant says the app violated a policy against cashing in on conflicts, and the decision was not the result of a request to take it down.

A number of gaming companies have become embroiled in the Hong Kong protests.

Many are reluctant to offend Chinese consumers, but they have also drawn criticism from gamers over free speech.

The choice-based game, Revolution of Our Times, allowed users to play the part of a Hong Kong protestor.

Like real protestors, players could buy protective gear and weapons, but they could also be arrested and even extradited to China.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic