Why are bar girls costlier?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
programmer
Expatriate
United States of America

Why are bar girls costlier?

Post by programmer »

Cambodia has half the wealth of the Phils and Indonesia, per person. It has 1/4 the wealth of Thailand by the same measure. Yet the prices for bar girls are higher than Thailand by about 30%, even a little more for the other countries.

Do you guys have any theories why that is? Best one I can come up with is supply/demand. I'm guess Khmer culture is just sufficiently more conservative that there aren't as many girls willing to sell their bodies.

This theory seems to contradict the realityf of bars where one guy walks into an empty establishment and 5 girls hope to have his custom. I would have guessed a shortness of demand in such a poor country would drive down prices though. Curious what you guys have to say about this.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why are bar girls costlier?

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Perhaps it has something to do with what the customer is willing to pay. Despite a Mercedes costing more in Thailand than in Germany or a pair of Levis costing more here than in America, people still buy them. If you want to lower the going rate I suggest you organize a boycott of their services. More than likely the price of hand lotion would skyrocket though.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

supply and demand my friend. they will charge that much so long as some guy will pay it....simple economics.
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

Just drink with them and make friends. Go towards the end of 'their' night, if you are not an idiot, they will go home will you for free. It's amazing the sex drive on these girls. You would think they are tired of having sex.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

stupid-barang wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:03 am Just drink with them and make friends. Go towards the end of 'their' night, if you are not an idiot, they will go home will you for free. It's amazing the sex drive on these girls. You would think they are tired of having sex.
programmer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by programmer »

He's just trying to pull the naive hopeful side out of me, I can tell.

In the Cambodian trip reports elsewhere though, guys do generally say the Cambo girls offer more GFE and have less signs of being hardened (less tattoos etc).

I don't mind paying them but I just wish they didn't see you as a cheap Charlie for wanting to pay $45 all in, instead of $75. Their country is REALLY poor man.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's obviously not that poor anymore and the "trip reports" you are talking about are very updated. If you want cheaper go for the Wat Phnom/ Sisowath Quay GF experience.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

icetiger81 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:03 am supply and demand my friend. they will charge that much so long as some guy will pay it....simple economics.
Cambodian Economics 101: If supply is overabundant, charge MORE to make up for the lower demand, NEVER less.

End of lesson.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

programmer wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:58 am I'm guess Khmer culture is just sufficiently more conservative that there aren't as many girls willing to sell their bodies.
I would have guessed a shortness of demand in such a poor country would drive down prices though.
F***, ain't it a bitch when one of the basic principles of free market economics - that you can fuck the poor for nearly free - is distorted by the natural unwillingness of Cambodian women to sell their bodies to fat ugly foreigners.
programmer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by programmer »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:07 pm It's obviously not that poor anymore and the "trip reports" you are talking about are very updated. If you want cheaper go for the Wat Phnom/ Sisowath Quay GF experience.
My friend went to PP in 2018 and said basically the same thing. GFE easier to find, girls easier to connect with etc. Only issue is the higher prices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic