Attempted Robbery of British Man & Girlfriend This Week Caught on GoPro (VIDEO)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Attempted Robbery of British Man & Girlfriend This Week Caught on GoPro (VIDEO)

Post by Brody »

Artemis wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm I strongly urge everyone reading this to make sure they only ride with full facial crash helmets, I wasn’t driving fast and I never do but what shocked me was just how hard my face hit the concrete.....
This is some great food for thought.

I have always tooled around with an open faced helmet (when I wear a helmet) and I will give this some serious reconsideration.

Years back, coming home one night, a moto came up behind my gf and I, at speed, and ripped her purse from her shoulder. Luckily she wasn't holding on very tightly to it. Our moto stayed upright which was good because neither of us were wearing helmets.

It would be sweet if there was a positive resolution to Artemis' incident.

Come on social media....do your thing....lets catch these buggers.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Attempted Robbery of British Man & Girlfriend This Week Caught on GoPro (VIDEO)

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Please follow up and thus and push the cops a bit. You've got tons of evidence, so hopefully with a bit of coaxing they can nab the guys. They're likely already known to them. It would be nice to see them taken into custody. Glad both of you are relatively ok.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Artemis hope you and your lady are well after that very nasty ordeal, no one should have to go though that. The police should act upon this by protecting their own people from this aggravated attempted robbery, and also protect the tourist and expat (at lest this can lose revenue to the country, by putting some tourists from visiting) you would expect high official's and promotors of the tourist dept. Would not want to see this. Also, that they did cause your unfortunate accident, that even it's self is surely a crime that they should be bought to justice, paying for any damage. We hear of these incidents but rarely see them. Thank you for letting us see the filming. Hoping you get over the dreadful ordeal quickly. All the best to you two.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

You made a very good decision by wearing a full protection helmet. Your cry when you fall down made me grit my teeths. Hope these bastards will get found and punish.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Send it to any of the local news outlets, they'll love it and it will spread. I hope they can be identified and arrested, it's hard enough getting around the city without cunts like that almost killing you for $400 (or whatever amount).
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Do Cambodian police still have no way to match moto plates to the moto's owner?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 am Do Cambodian police still have no way to match moto plates to the moto's owner?
You think they use their own bikes?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Need an upgrade ?

ImageImageImageImage
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

'Mazing, OP.
A pretty normal every-day situation roughly captured on a cheap camera
but somehow it has really hit the spot.

To me the really important takeaway is the message about full face helmets.
Yes, for sure!!! - try to take your footage further. A gem.

And don't forget to enjoy the ride - this little misfortune turned out pretty good.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 am Do Cambodian police still have no way to match moto plates to the moto's owner?
They do have a database as registration cards are matched to the bike and the law says new owners must register within a certain period (in principle)

In practice, the law is weakly enforced and stolen motos without papers are routinely sold at bike shops or privately.

Write-offs and breakers are used for their plates

Forged plates can be bought easily.

Vin Numbers are rarely checked against the papers.

Every family will have a story of a stolen moto and the chances of return are slim to none.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic