Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

Post by explorer »

trDavid wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:52 am Thanks. I don’t know if I will need a tuk tuk driver because her cousin is a taxi driver. He will drive her to the airport because she is afraid to come alone she says the road has thieves?

She is taking two weeks off from the shop where she works and her cousin is taking time off work too too drive us to her village and to Siem Reap. Should I offer him money for that or would it cause offense?
They will want your money. When you go to the village, you will probably learn they are very poor. They probably wont be able to afford things if you dont pay.

What I suggest: When you go to a restaurant, you pay for them all. When you are in the village, and she goes to the market, give her some money for food. If you go to Angkor Wat, the whole extended family will want to go. Pay for accommodation and food for the whole family. They will sleep with a lot of people in a room. Some can sleep on mats on the floor.

Cambodians share much more than Westerners do. If you buy an ice cream, buy one for all of the family.

But if they start asking for large amounts of money, or to buy expansive things, don't. If she loves you, she will love you without giving her a lot of money. I dont know this family, but some people will come up with outrageous stories to scam you.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I will mention, Cambodians are very conservative. If you try to hug her, or kiss her, or even hold her hand in public, she may push you away. But if you take her to your hotel room, and close the door, she may be happy to hug and kiss. Different individuals may react differently.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Hope this goes well for you David but I'm sorry to say I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

LIVIDZX wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 am Hope this goes well for you David but I'm sorry to say I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Some tips.

Dont give her large amounts of money, and dont buy expensive things for her.

If you think this is true love, get to know her for two years before making a decision, spending as much time with her as you can. Things become clearer with time, good or bad.

If it doesnt work out, there are other good girls.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

:hattip: And i thought traveling while "nearly" deaf was a challenge! Hope you have a nice trip ~
~
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:30 am
LIVIDZX wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 am Hope this goes well for you David but I'm sorry to say I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Some tips.

Dont give her large amounts of money, and dont buy expensive things for her.

If you think this is true love, get to know her for two years before making a decision, spending as much time with her as you can. Things become clearer with time, good or bad.

If it doesnt work out, there are other good girls.
OP will fly business class with his dog, partly in cabin, and booked the Raffles hotel for 12 days. Pretty sure his perception of ‘large amount of money’ is different from most of us.

OP, money is always an issue in Cambodia. Cambodians like to pretend to be poor. Many are, but money isn’t the answer to poverty.
If you are asked for money please remember asking for money to someone you hardly know isn’t something Cambodians usually do. It’s a red flag. You can be generous, you can pay for food and festivities while you’re there, you can buy all the kids in the street a new school uniform, but be careful giving out serious money. In Cambodia most make 200@-400 usd a month so do your math to find out what serious money is.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

LIVIDZX wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:13 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 am I reckon I have been to Angkor Wat more than a 100 times; still immensely enjoy it and have never been scammed.
Surely not? I went once, but didn't have a camera so decided to go again a year later and was bored to tears half way around. You are trolling or are the most easily impressed/entertained man of all time.
Why would I be trolling? I used to do many of my daily runs around Angkor Wat and, apart from running, I like birding and wildlife so there is plenty to keep me entertained. You are obviously easily bored.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

tireswang wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 am :hattip: And i thought traveling while "nearly" deaf was a challenge! Hope you have a nice trip ~
In wedding season or Khmer new year it would be a blessing :beer3:
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 am

OP, money is always an issue in Cambodia. Cambodians like to pretend to be poor. Many are, but money isn’t the answer to poverty.
Is this a typo? Cambodians like to pretend to be poor???? If he’s going to a village in the provinces they Cambodians he meets will actually be poor. They’re not going to be faking it or putting on a show for the blind white guy.

If anything, Cambodians like to pretend to be rich, they’ll buy a Lexus when they don’t need a car and have nowhere to put it but their living room.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

@trDavid Can I ask when are you due in Cambodia?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic