Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!

Post by Mishmash »

Hat's off to you sir..

99% of Khmer people will go out of their way to welcome you and take care of you with kindness.

I hope you post many pics of your experiences.
the irishman
Tourist
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by the irishman »

Ur biggest problems, as i have a good friend that is blind
1. Your new found friend will naturally want to lead you
2. Seeing a nice dog on a leash, people will naturally want to touch/pet him/her and you, being blind and not speaking khmer, wont be able to notice them coming or tell them, please dont
3. Other dogs might want to start a sniffing/fight with your dog. Carry a big stick and i'd suggest have someone with you all the time

Question;
does your computer read out all these post to you?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

the irishman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:59 pm Ur biggest problems, as i have a good friend that is blind
1. Your new found friend will naturally want to lead you
2. Seeing a nice dog on a leash, people will naturally want to touch/pet him/her and you, being blind and not speaking khmer, wont be able to notice them coming or tell them, please dont
3. Other dogs might want to start a sniffing/fight with your dog. Carry a big stick and i'd suggest have someone with you all the time

Question;
does your computer read out all these post to you?
I agree the dog part - I walk my dog every day and can't avoid the dogs roaming free on the streets away from their irresponsible owners.

Fighting is a daily occurrence - no joke - however most now slink away as they inevitably lost.

Got ambushed by two rottweilers and a cur recently - it was terrible.

I did call the Commune Chief over that and the Police came as the locals were complaining too and afraid of those dogs just flying out of the factory open gates onto a public road

good point @the irishman
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 am
stupid-barang wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 am I would not worry about the ATM, your Cambodian will help you with that.
I've been trying not to be cynical. However -
trDavid wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:28 am I have met a wonderful Cambodian woman online and six months ago I bought a plane ticket to travel to Cambodia to meet her.
What could go wrong?

trDavid,
Are your plane tickets refundable? Even if not, you may want to reconsider.
:facepalm:
What could go wrong?

This,

willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Well the OP has certainly received plenty of good advice. Cambodia is challenging for the sighted, especially walking around. Apart from the riverside there is nowhere that doesn’t have traps varying from holes to rubbish to motos and cars parked everywhere.
The ATM thing might be the easiest part of the trip. Going to the provinces could be dreadful. Imagine ascending and descending those things they call stairs to access the house. Then there are the uneven stairs in many city buildings. The last step is so often a doozy. A real trap even for the sighted.
The online GF may be fine but the chances are that she is an opportunist with few scruples. Certainly there will be family members who see an opportunity.
This chap needs a minder who lives in Cambodia and knows the ropes.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:57 am Hat's off to you sir..

99% of Khmer people will go out of their way to welcome you and take care of you with kindness.

I hope you post many pics of your experiences.
Yeah, agree. I hope you will have a great time. After all, this is a short visit, and most Cambodians will be even more kind and attentive because you are blind. Enjoy.
But bring mosquito repellent and a hat for the provincial visit. :hattip:
trDavid
BANNED

Post by trDavid »

I just woke up thank you all so much for all of the help. I didn't think about aggressive monkeys, are they in Phnom Penh or only in the country and villages? I held a monkey once when I was young but I have no experience with wild monkeys.

Yes I use assistive technology like Text-to-Speech screen readers and Apple VoiceOver so I can use computers and a smartphone. My friend unlocked my iPhone for me. I am not going to change my AT&T sim to a new sim card there, it is too risky I would drop and lose the sim. I will keep my American phone number in Cambodia and pay to Rome.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

trDavid wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm I just woke up thank you all so much for all of the help. I didn't think about aggressive monkeys, are they in Phnom Penh or only in the country and villages? I held a monkey once when I was young but I have no experience with wild monkeys.

Yes I use assistive technology like Text-to-Speech screen readers and Apple VoiceOver so I can use computers and a smartphone. My friend unlocked my iPhone for me. I am not going to change my AT&T sim to a new sim card there, it is too risky I would drop and lose the sim. I will keep my American phone number in Cambodia and pay to Rome.
Some are up near Wat Phnom (near Raffles) but Mainly I meant at Angkor Wat. your main issue will be the street dogs/guard dogs located around the place. Central Phnom Penh is not so bad, although anywhere near temples attracts them and in Siem Reap and the provinces they can be very territorial with almost every house having some mangy critter outside. I assume you dog is gentle and especially as a service dog you wouldn't want him to be attacked. You may also risk some unscrupulous dog theives in the province (yellow dog is a particular delicacy for those of a Vietnamese heritage). As I say on the most part if you stay centrally and use transport to avoid unnecessary walks (there are two apps Passapp and Grab, Grab you can link to your bank card to avoid messing around with money)

good luck
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'd agree with the advice about dogs. While there aren't often many around the center city there are more around less central areas. They don't usually bother people but they want to fight other dogs. I've taken my friend's dog out for a walk and had to swing a big shillelagh and throw rocks at other dogs. The dog with me would kill them but it's best not to leave dog/ cat corpses lying in your wake all over the neighborhood.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

hanno wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 am I reckon I have been to Angkor Wat more than a 100 times; still immensely enjoy it and have never been scammed.
Surely not? I went once, but didn't have a camera so decided to go again a year later and was bored to tears half way around. You are trolling or are the most easily impressed/entertained man of all time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic