Honda motorbike dealer issues

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 12:39 pm
Reputation: 74
Tonga

Re: Honda motorbike dealer issues

Post by Fourkinnel » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:38 pm

I'm pretty sure from experience there would not be many small moto shops or main dealer technicians who would know how to use feeler gauges or even seen them. Dara being one exception! Best thing to do is find the valve clearance values . If you not competent look on youtube how to adjust. The Wave and click are really easy. The latter you have to remove all the plastics covering the head. The cam chain can be more difficult, but most places seem to know how to do this job!.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3534
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 727

Re: Honda motorbike dealer issues

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am


talltuktuk wrote:The front rotor was visibly bent. Either from getting hit or from heat warpage. Either way, it was bent so I replaced it. The fuel pump lost 12 psi over 30 days. I’m not being “a bit too anal,” I’m preventing the inconvenience of dealing with a breakdown because I let things go until they didn’t work anymore. All the other things I fixed needed to be fixed. I don’t just throw money away out of boredom, but I don’t see the point of waiting for an inevitable failure then spending even more. I bought the bike with 24k km and addressed the issues I found with it. I have no history on the bike. I can be happy with a mechanic as long as they do the right thing, not make excuses because they don’t want to do some work that’s not as easy profit as something else. I went to Honda because they are supposed to be the factory standard for service. I learned that this is not always the case. I just want things done right. The mentality in this country of not doing things right because “that’s just how everyone does things” is not conducive to the growth and advancement that everyone claims to want. Now I will take my business to someone who is more concerned about fixing things properly than vacuuming up easy cash. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Dara so that’s where I’m headed.
So you bought a second hand bike with a bent rotor? That's something which should have been easily spotted when inspecting the bike prior to buying. Fuel pump lost 12psi? Again, the problems seems to reside with your initial choice/decision. You're anal about maintenance, but settled with buying a shitty second hand bike with an unknown history and now you're paying the price (both figuratively and literally). Was all this anger, frustration and grief you're displaying worth the few hundred dollar difference? Why not buy new and maintain from new? Much easier to stay on top of things.

Anyone who's been here more than three years while will tell you you're just banging your head against a wall. The "doing things write" mentality doesn't apply here, at least it won't in your lifetime. I'm honestly trying to save you some grief, as it'll lead you nowhere. I've seen guys like you yelling at mechanics at Vay's and other places. I've gotten annoyed at mechanics, on construction sites and so on. You have to learn to live with a few cut corners. Otherwise, do it yourself. You know the old saying... You might be "satisfied" with a mechanic, but you'll never swear by one. I've heard more than a few horror stories from Dara and other reputable places.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
talltuktuk
Expatriate
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Reputation: 91
United States of America

Re: Honda motorbike dealer issues

Post by talltuktuk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 am

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am
talltuktuk wrote:The front rotor was visibly bent. Either from getting hit or from heat warpage. Either way, it was bent so I replaced it. The fuel pump lost 12 psi over 30 days. I’m not being “a bit too anal,” I’m preventing the inconvenience of dealing with a breakdown because I let things go until they didn’t work anymore. All the other things I fixed needed to be fixed. I don’t just throw money away out of boredom, but I don’t see the point of waiting for an inevitable failure then spending even more. I bought the bike with 24k km and addressed the issues I found with it. I have no history on the bike. I can be happy with a mechanic as long as they do the right thing, not make excuses because they don’t want to do some work that’s not as easy profit as something else. I went to Honda because they are supposed to be the factory standard for service. I learned that this is not always the case. I just want things done right. The mentality in this country of not doing things right because “that’s just how everyone does things” is not conducive to the growth and advancement that everyone claims to want. Now I will take my business to someone who is more concerned about fixing things properly than vacuuming up easy cash. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Dara so that’s where I’m headed.
So you bought a second hand bike with a bent rotor? That's something which should have been easily spotted when inspecting the bike prior to buying. Fuel pump lost 12psi? Again, the problems seems to reside with your initial choice/decision. You're anal about maintenance, but settled with buying a shitty second hand bike with an unknown history and now you're paying the price (both figuratively and literally). Was all this anger, frustration and grief you're displaying worth the few hundred dollar difference? Why not buy new and maintain from new? Much easier to stay on top of things.

Anyone who's been here more than three years while will tell you you're just banging your head against a wall. The "doing things write" mentality doesn't apply here, at least it won't in your lifetime. I'm honestly trying to save you some grief, as it'll lead you nowhere. I've seen guys like you yelling at mechanics at Vay's and other places. I've gotten annoyed at mechanics, on construction sites and so on. You have to learn to live with a few cut corners. Otherwise, do it yourself. You know the old saying... You might be "satisfied" with a mechanic, but you'll never swear by one. I've heard more than a few horror stories from Dara and other reputable places.
It was (and is) still a good deal even with the work I had to put into it. You’ll never shame me into changing my perspective. I want things done right and there’s nothing wrong with that. The local attitude you seem to have adopted that things are just “how they are” and “won’t ever change” is self-defeating and inhibits the progress this country so badly needs. It’s obviously poisoned you because now you are defending it. To each their own. You’ve not “seen guys like me yelling at mechanics” because I don’t act like that. I understand how things are here but unlike a lot of people I won’t settle. I’ll always encourage forward movement even in the face of people like you who have become complacent. We’re either encouraging progress or we’re inhibiting it - there’s no middle ground. Complacency helps nothing but restricting much-needed growth. As long as everyone is just ok with the status quo it will never get better. I’m sorry you believe that’s the best course of action here but I disagree. Thanks for all your input.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 795
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Honda motorbike dealer issues

Post by pczz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:07 pm

talltuktuk wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 am
pczz wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 am
If your bike has done 30k then it is pretty close to needing a new camchain. they have a service live of 30 to 50k depending on the bike. A worn cam chain will eventuall alow the cam to jump or the chain will break causinf potentially fatal engine failure and fatal for you if you are going at speed. a loose cam chain will make a noise very similar to loose valves.
Changing the cam chain tensioner for a new one with a fresh spring may quieten the engine down and hide the symptoms for a while, but is not a long term solution. khmer tend to replace cam chains with cheap copies which usually stretch like knicker elastic and are done at 10k 9 what t do you expect from a $10 chain?).
Vlave clearances are usually set cold IN COOLER CLIMATES. the problem with hot places like Asia is the engine runs hotter, the metal expands more and you wind up with no clearance. if the clearance in the manual is .10 to .30 you would generally adjust it to the wider clearance for here, especially if you are running in traffice a lot. The narrower clearances are for cooler places. Inevitably running wider clearances increases enine clatter.
Finally automatics have drive belst and rollers which need replacing generally around 12 to 15k. If you dont the belt may snap and can lock up the back wheel. These toothed belts have a design life in km and time as the material they are made of degrades. generally its like 12k or 2 years.
So, bugger adjusting the cams, repalce the cam chain and the clearances witl be adjuted during this process, and check the drive belt and replace if necessary. At 30k you may also need clutch repair, depending on how hard its been run. small autos are commuting machines and not designed for long, frequent trips.
of course this is cambodia, so feel free to run it into the ground.
I just got to 30k km. I had the drive belt replaced at 24k when I bought the bike. In the last few months I’ve also replaced the clutch, variator rollers, fuel pump, final drive bearing, gear oil, front brake disc, ignition, spark plug, and fuel injector cleaning. All done at the Honda dealership. It’s always a fight to get anything fixed because the bike is still running when I bring it in. They try to talk me out of fixing things - it’s crazy. But it’s because people just run everything into the ground here. I am hearing a noise that I believe either to be the cam chain or valves. I’ve been working on bikes/cars/machines my whole life and I know that this is a sign of something that’s not right. After going to 2 Honda dealerships and getting the run around I’m looking to take it to a private mechanic who actually gives a shit. Several people have recommended Dara in PP so I might check that out. If the cam chain is nearing the end of it’s life, I’d rather replace it before it leaves me stranded. I see no value in gambling with a failing part and getting stranded somewhere.
Darra is good but i had to stand over him to make him use feeler guages to set the the valves to factory spec. As i said in an earlier post they tend to set them loose to compensate of the heat and that can make a nasty chattering. other issue may be cam chain tensioner. not sure on your model but automatic spring loadedthey can stick, especially if the oil is not changed regulalry, or they use cheap oil of they fail to clean or replace the oild filter and strainer in the sump. Simpe test set thevalves to tightest factory tolerance and see if noise goes away. if it does rest to a mid point. If closing the valves doesnt work dismantle or reset the chain tensioner. i have alos hat clattering from bad fuel pinking. you could try using high octane fue from PTT, total or Caltex. i try not to fill up anywhere else. makes a suprising difference on my vespa
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post