Tourist Visa was stamped “departed” but still in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AustralianAunt
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Tourist Visa was stamped “departed” but still in Cambodia

Post by AustralianAunt »

Okay so I am feeling pretty disheartened. We went to get the exit visa today and the official now tells me I need to get a lawyer to draw up a letter that shows both my niece’s mother and I are in agreement about my niece coming with me.

I already showed her a letter approved by the village police chief that my sister-in-law fingerprinted to say she is putting the child in my custody when leaving Cambodia but the official says we need a letter that both of us have signed, not just the mother.

I feel like they just make it up as they go and I imagine if I go back with a letter tomorrow they will have some other paper they want.

I am at the Aeon mall looking into the Khmer passport option but of course the application form counter is closed for lunch now.

I’m supposed to be back at my job in Australia today so I am feeling a bit desperate.

Does anyone know a certified lawyer in Phnom Penh that can draw up this letter I need ASAP?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

As frustrating as it is, it is a good thing that they are making you get the document from a lawyer. You are not the child's mother.
You sound like a nice person, but how are they to know that you're not a people smuggler?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I am pretty sure that you need an exit visa even if the child has a Khmer passport.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 pm I am pretty sure that you need an exit visa even if the child has a Khmer passport.
Not if the child is traveling on the Khmer passport.
the irishman
Tourist
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by the irishman »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm As frustrating as it is, it is a good thing that they are making you get the document from a lawyer. You are not the child's mother.
You sound like a nice person, but how are they to know that you're not a people smuggler?
Actually am surprised you can get by with ONLY the moms signature an not the dads as well.
as stated ur not the dad or mom or, I assume, Khmer.

Guess your going to be a bit late for ur job .Do you already have tickets?

Good luck
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

fax wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 pm I am pretty sure that you need an exit visa even if the child has a Khmer passport.
Why would you? Afaik a Cambodian leaving Cambodia with a Khmer passport doesn't need an exit visa regardless of what other passports they hold. Haven't tried leaving yet though so don't have first hand experience of doing it, but it sounds highly unlikely and completely nonsensical.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 pm
Why would you? Afaik a Cambodian leaving Cambodia with a Khmer passport doesn't need an exit visa regardless of what other passports they hold. Haven't tried leaving yet though so don't have first hand experience of doing it, but it sounds highly unlikely and completely nonsensical.
^true

did it a zillion times
AustralianAunt
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AustralianAunt »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm As frustrating as it is, it is a good thing that they are making you get the document from a lawyer. You are not the child's mother.
Very true!
AustralianAunt
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AustralianAunt »

the irishman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:04 pm
Actually am surprised you can get by with ONLY the moms signature an not the dads as well.
as stated ur not the dad or mom or, I assume, Khmer.

Guess your going to be a bit late for ur job .Do you already have tickets?

Good luck

True - but her dad (my brother) is dead so I have his death certificate in Khmer and English that also has to be shown to them every time we do anything. I guess that stands in for the signature.

I told my boss I won’t be coming back anytime soon. She’s not impressed, but luckily I work in local government so she also can’t just fire me :)
AustralianAunt
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AustralianAunt »

So I paid a lawyer a gazillion dollars (well maybe not quite that much) to draw up the letter in both Khmer and English, and only discovered tonight (after business hours and after paying him already), that he has only done it in English. Like wtf?! Would it still even be valid?

In my dealings with him, whenever I have questioned his “advice” in regards to what the immigration department will say, he says “There will be no problems. You have my business card. Tell them to call me”.

I’m worried it’s just the usual pomp that lawyers have. You have to be a matter-of-fact kind of person to succeed in law but it still doesn’t mean you’re always correct.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic