Hong Kong - Protestor shot in Chest

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hong Kong - Protestor shot in Chest

Post by Mishmash »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 pm
Mishmash wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:47 pm
siliconlife wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Mishmash wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:32 pm
I would say it has passed the point of peaceful protests now and getting on for a full blown riot.
Been that way since the invasion of the LegCo, really.
True....

Last night was full on after the anti-mask legislation.

I had hoped they would have followed the Philippine model that brought down Marcos or Gandhi's way of Civil Disobedience.

One thing though - they are braver than Runaway Rainsy
Agree on all those points. To be honest this is kinda personal for me. I love HK, have great memories of its vibrant streets, and intelligent people. I tears me up to see it like this.

But yeah man, the rioters burned the place up last night. Our world is coming to a turning point (and no i don't mean WWIII), but HK is an inflammatory symptom of what is to come worldwide imo.
Yeah..

I have never been but would love to go - a childhood dream for me.

Consistently ranked in the top 5's and 10's for everything good in this world.

So I agree it's a major tipping point for one of the wealthiest countries in the world and the rest of us.

Happy to see others are interested in HK and their fate bro..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^ Siliconlife wrote
"Our world is coming to a turning point (and no i don't mean WWIII), but HK is an inflammatory symptom of what is to come worldwide imo."

Imo too Silica. Sadly.
The exponential curves of population, consumption and degradation cannot continue on a finite planet. It is simply impossible.
A big "adjustment" is coming fast, and there will be all sorts of riots and other catastrophes.
All over the place.

(nb, this comes from someone who is not generally a "catastrophist".
but this one is just simple mathematics)
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 am ^^ Siliconlife wrote
"Our world is coming to a turning point (and no i don't mean WWIII), but HK is an inflammatory symptom of what is to come worldwide imo."

Imo too Silica. Sadly.
The exponential curves of population, consumption and degradation cannot continue on a finite planet. It is simply impossible.
A big "adjustment" is coming fast, and there will be all sorts of riots and other catastrophes.
All over the place.

(nb, this comes from someone who is not generally a "catastrophist".
but this one is just simple mathematics)
Exactly, I'm not into conspiracies or any of that stuff, or an environmental activist (although I am concerned about it), but sooner or later something devastating is going to happen. What rises must fall, and we built this rocket of industrial competition ourselves. It won't fly forever. (excuse me the corny analogy, sorry)
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 pm Our world is coming to a turning point (and no i don't mean WWIII), but HK is an inflammatory symptom of what is to come worldwide imo.
My guess is that it will be some time before we see the worst of it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

explorer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 am
siliconlife wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 pm Our world is coming to a turning point (and no i don't mean WWIII), but HK is an inflammatory symptom of what is to come worldwide imo.
My guess is that it will be some time before we see the worst of it.
Me too, but then again I never expected Trump to be elected, either. The word "guess", which you're absolutely right about is one of the scary things to me though. I've met professional academics, professors of political science who, as Stern says above, believe this to be just simple math. It's a case of when, and there's not much we can do but watch.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you think about how society is being manipulated, you can get a little idea of what is going on, and what is likely to happen. I included the word 'little' intentionally, we cant know it all.
siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:42 am there's not much we can do but watch.
You can plan your life so you are less at risk. For example, I would not live near the middle of a large city. So problems come to that city, you should not be affected so much. Of course we will all be affected to some extent.

Hong Kong is losing money. Many tourists are staying away. If it gets worse, they will all be concerned.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

explorer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:22 am If you think about how society is being manipulated, you can get a little idea of what is going on, and what is likely to happen. I included the word 'little' intentionally, we cant know it all.
siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:42 am there's not much we can do but watch.
You can plan your life so you are less at risk. For example, I would not live near the middle of a large city. So problems come to that city, you should not be affected so much. Of course we will all be affected to some extent.

Hong Kong is losing money. Many tourists are staying away. If it gets worse, they will all be concerned.
Yeah, I absolutely agree with this, except I would say "think about how society is TRYING to be manipulated". There are things we can do to protect ourselves, but I meant in concern for the greater world. For instance, what can I do now to help the wonderful HK I used to know and love? It's far too complex a situation for any old foreigner to be intervening in. All I can do is watch it fall apart in dismay. A little idea isn't much to go on. I don't think anyone saw the HK situation coming. But there will come a time when widespread catastrophe will strike, I believe. It has happened before, after all. Then we just hope we're one of the lucky ones. Hell, it might not even be in our lifetimes, but I worry for my children's.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

The book "collapse" by Jared Diamond is worth reading.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 am The book "collapse" by Jared Diamond is worth reading.
There are some great dystopian sci-fi films worth watching - Gattaca, Ghost in the Shell, Bladerunner - and of course the new online gaming of the Cyberpunk desktop - set in a world of mega-corporations etc

Some excellent films about AI too - The Machine, Ex-Machina

Golden oldies like Judge Dredd

Appears to be coming true before our eyes.

Professor Michio Kaku has a more positive vision in his type 1, type 2, type 3 civilizations - IF we make it through..
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 am It’s HK’s last gasp before the takeover. The treaty ends in 10 years. After that the people of Hong Kong can be disposed of just like Tibetans or Uyghurs. And the people know it.

Plans to enact parts of martial law has been discussed at the council meeting.

Pity them.
The treat was for 50 years. However, a Chinese government spokesman said that the treaty is effectively over and people need to come to terms with that reality. And there is nothing the UK can do about it.

China: A new World Order is well worth watching and episode 2 covers Hong Kong in detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -episode-2 (You'll need a VPN for BBC iPlayer)
Otherwise you can download it from Pirate Bay.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic